The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody! I'm a 24-year-old grad student. Not sure if I even have diabetes or not, but I think I probably do and want to be prepared and make changes anyway.

I've been noticing lately that I drink a lot more than I used to, and remembered that was how a fellow student in high school was diagnosed, so I planned to go to a doctor and get it checked. Today a friend of mine with diabetes brought over her blood sugar monitor and mine was 304. :( So I haven't been to the doctor yet, but I'm also noticing more symptoms and think it's likely. My whole family is diabetic and I think my mom was diagnosed when she was about my age, so it's not surprising but still a little scary.

I'm glad I found these forums. They've been helpful already.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sorry to say but the 304 does lend itself to diabetes. A non-diabetic's blood sugar should be below 200 within 2 hours of eating. But don't worry it's managable and after a while of living that way you kinda don't notice it. It just becomes part of life.

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello and welcome to Diabetes Forum! I am pleased to see that you are getting in to the doctors so soon and joining us here for help. You have the right attitude and that means so much! You hold on to that attitude and you will be off to a good start and have good control soon. So many people ignore their diabetes and refuse to take care of themselves. They are the ones who experience terrible complications. You are highly likely to be one of the healthy diabetics.

I have had diabetes for 64 years and I am very healthy. That is what tight control and doing everything you can to have good health can do for you.

Let us know how things are going during tha days ahead. Ask all the questions you want!

Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts