The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys do you get worried about post exercise spikes that last for an hour.

After exercise I usually jump from 100 to a 125 and stay there for an hour. Id like to spend most of my day in the 90s

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As diabetics we sometimes have to settle for bgs a little above average. I tend to spike with exercise but it does come down in 2-3 hours. My doctor told me not to get upset about it. I spend most of my day in the 100-110 range with occassional spikes to 120-130. Once in awhile I will fall into the 90's during the day but not usually. But I feel 100-110 is not bad.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
344 Posts
Guys do you get worried about post exercise spikes that last for an hour.

After exercise I usually jump from 100 to a 125 and stay there for an hour. Id like to spend most of my day in the 90s

Try some weigh protein about 30 minutes before your work out and see what happens. Or try some Shot Bloks while you work out or both.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I spike really high and then rebound too low when I exercise. Since switching from running and tennis to fast, short walks and 30 minute weight lifting sessions I do much better. I am guessing the difference is that it's not intense enough to cause a stress response and give my liver an excuse to dump glucose. :D

So if the spikes really bother you, maybe try switching up the length, intensity and type of exercise.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spike really high and then rebound too low when I exercise. Since switching from running and tennis to fast, short walks and 30 minute weight lifting sessions I do much better. I am guessing the difference is that it's not intense enough to cause a stress response and give my liver an excuse to dump glucose. :D

So if the spikes really bother you, maybe try switching up the length, intensity and type of exercise.
Yep I guess 70 minutes on a cross trainer is pretty intensive, maybe I should try reducing the duration.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks thcri, but what are these?

Shot Bloks are little blocks of Carbs, yes carbs. When working out you use a lot of carbs and if you don't refill the carbs you body will do a Liver Dump. Think of Carbs as your gas tank, you take out you must put back. I take one block about every 30 or 45 minutes.

Link

Weigh Protein
Weight

But with the above items or anything else, Test, Test, Test, Test, Test. When I first started working out or riding bike I tested every 30 minutes. Find out what works for you and don't use what works for others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts