The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I was "diagnosed" in 2008 with type 2, but it was never confirmed and up until now I've never had issues with it. It was thrown around that I just have insulin resistance.

In any case, I got pregnant in 2011 and had a perfect pregnancy and controlled my blood sugars with zero medication (even while my ignorant OB called me stupid for thinking I could do it med-free), and had a perfect baby boy last summer! :)

Postpartum I also had zero issues. Until last month, I had been on domperidone for a dip in my milk supply, and weaning off of it caused my period to come back. With that, my blood sugars went a bit wonky. Not too high, still only around 150-180 mg/dl (8-10 mmol).

I usually use apple cider vinegar pills to lower it, successfully.

Any ways, since my period returned, my blood sugar has been wonky and I'm wondering if its my body still adjusting to all these hormones, etc. will it even out?? It's not too high but it's too high for me.

Advice?

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Well, I definitely think that your body does need time to adjust to all of the hormonal changes. In the meantime while it does, have you been controlling your diet through reduced carb intake, at all?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We follow a paleo diet for the most part, so I'm already pretty low carb. Except today! I totally cheated today and had coffee and a bagel for breakfast, and was sitting at 10 when I tested 2 hours later. Which isn't too bad imo, for already being a bit wonky and eating heavy carbs I didn't shoot up as high as I expected.

Getting rid of the bagels right now! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't think it would take over a month for my body to adjust. I know blood sugar spikes the week before menstruation, and I experienced that, just wasn't expecting it to continue on.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
One other thing -- GET ANTIBODY testing, for GAD-65.

LADA's are wonkier than anything ... good for you on eating Paleo ... but, that may not be enough. You might have an autoimmune component to your D -- our FB group for LADAs has got an awful lot of GD women ...

Also see Blood Sugar 101 website on LADA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know much about LADA? Do you think that's really a possibility?

When I was diagnosed, it was a weird situation of circumstances. I had an eating disorder (fewer than 300 calories a day), purging, and then I contracted H1N1 and it just spun out of control. I landed myself in the ER with diabetic ketoacidosis, and my sugars were in the high 30s. I was on insulin for a few months to stabilize, and metformin and then I was off both about 6 months later and have never needed them again.

My endocrinologist at the time never discussed anything with me. Not even about if I was forsure type 2 or what.

Google tells me that a main criteria for LADA is no insulin usage for the first 6 months of diagnosis. So that seems to rule me out, no?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
SOME people use the definition of no insulin use for 6 mos, to distinguish it from Classic Type 1. Others don't.

DKA is a good sign it IS LADA -- get GAD-65's run! I myself was diagnosed as a Type 2, in DKA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW. Alright then you've convinced me! Lol. Can I just ask my family doctor to do the test or should I make an appt with my endocrine? (I haven't been back there in almost 2 years lol).

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Your family doctor may do it. If he/she believes it's not necessary or gives you any grief, go back to your endo. The endo. may have a better idea of how to interpret the results, so if you choose your family doc, I'd do so with caution. I'm not saying that there aren't great family docs, but from a personal standpoint, I think endo's are better with LADA than other health care providers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My problem with my endo (which sucks because she is the head doctor of the department), was she tended to ignore me, and brush aside my concerns. But I will try again! I hate my family doctor more, so.

Also:
"Most latent autoimmune diabetes in adults are initially diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and may have some or all of these symptoms:

Unusual thirst
- I was drinking upwards of 15-20 liters of water a day and ended up with water intoxication.

Frequent urination
- yup.

Weight loss despite an increase in appetite
- I lost almost 100lbs in 2 months.

Blurred vision
- I am legally blind in my left eye, and had perfect vision in my right, but when very near sighted.

Nausea and vomiting
- I already had an ED, but it got so much worse and I was vomiting every hour.

Extreme weakness and fatigue
- Could barely get out of bed for weeks.

Frequent bladder and skin infections that don't heal easily
- yup, and my psoriasis got SO MUCH WORSE (which I understand is also an autoimmune disorder??)

High levels of sugar in the blood when tested
- like I said, I was in the high 30s.

Tingling or loss of feeling in the hands or feet
- I don't quite remember. I think I was feeling it in my tips of my fingers.
"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, not really. I've gotten more straight forward and easier to deal with confrontation since pregnancy/having my son, so ill just go back to her and be vocal lol

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Still. Idk. The whole DKA at diagnosis thing and LADA seems rare?? I was also only 21 years old, and I was not a slim person.
From your previous post, there isn't much doubt in my mind that you are not type 2 . . . I hope you'll follow foxl's admonition and get tested for GAD antibodies. The incidence of psoriasis supports this too - yes, another autoimmune disease which often appears with type 1 diabetes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah??? I wish my endo had brought this up as a possibility 4.5 years ago.

Just tested my sugars. 11.5, ack. I ate dinner 3 hours ago.

I'm calling tomorrow morning, to get in ASAP. I will be sure to keep this thread updated.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
LADA despite its name has been identified in an age running from children to the elderly. I know one woman > 60 who just got diagnosed, and I am certain it is present in older people.

My internist was CLUELESS so it delayed my getting antibodies run, another 3 mos AFTER I began insisting. He was afraid he would not want to interpret them, so once I tested positive, he sent me on to an endo anyhow! But that was 4.5 yrs ago.

Are you sure you are not in DKA again? You could go the ER, get hospitalized and diagnosed by the endo on call ... though they likely won't run antibodies in the hospital.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We discoverd something this morning. Thinking there is a possibility this container of test strips has been compromised, which may explain why I'm running higher.

I'm still gonna make an appt. I need new strips anyhow.

Okay but anyways, it's been 4.5 years, my blood sugars have been relatively stable with no complications. Every once in awhile they would go wonky, and I'd have to work hard to get it back down but then back to "normal" (my normal which was always slightly higher than a non-diabetic). During pregnancy I was able to control it with diet. Postpartum it's been wonky on and off for the last year, and now the past month or two has been hard to control, but not dangerously high or anything. Does this + my previous posts still suggest LADA if my numbers lately have been off due to compromised test strips? My husband tested (non-diabetic) and it gave him a (what we believe) wildly inaccurate number, so I'm thinking these could be as much as 2-3 points off which would put my actual sugars at my normal range.

But, idk. I tested when I woke up. 8.3. Which is just too high for my fasting number. I'm also all hot flashy, which tells me my sugars are higher than normal.

Ugh. Now I've got a headache.

Off to call my endo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts