The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with us going to be hit by Irene hurricane, we are expected to lose power. how do we go about storing our insulin? what do you guys recommend? i have three pens of humalog and lantus each. don't want to lose them due to power outage

·
Registered
20 Posts
Get a cold gel pack from a pharmacy in fact you may want to get several freeze them keep those and insulin in a cooler that is what I had to do when a tornado took the power out for a week

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Maybe you can glean a few hints from this other thread too, Allan . . . we're all just hoping she'll hang a sharp right & go back out to sea to wear herself out. Know that you're all in our thoughts & prayers this week.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I know how you feel. I just went through the same thing.

Good advice here on what to do. your fridge should stay cool for 3days. Then move your insulin to a travel insulated bag or even a ice cooler with those those chill packs. Even use ice on the bottom of the cooler.
I was without power for almost 4 weeks with the last hurricane. However I didn't have to worry about insulin or meds then. Plus I could eat just anything.

with this storm a coming I was pretty stressed. Its behind me now.
I also picked some of those LED lanterns & Tap lights.

stay safe .

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you can get some Frio bags (Insulin cooling bags) use them. Otherwise use small coolers with ice. Also before power goes out freeze as many empty container with water in them. A frozen milk jug or plastic container will last you quite a while in a cooler, until you can get somewhere to buy ice. An opened pen should last 30 days without refrigeration. I also think if you are on insulin buying a small generator that will run a small refrigerator is imperative.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Be sure not to freeze your insulin.

How long do you expect the power to be out? A fridge will stay cold for a day or two so long as the door is not left open. Even better if you make sure it (and the freezer) is filled with water bottles, plus pots and pans full of fresh water (another good idea anyway).

As above, even opened insulin is good at room temperature for around 30 days (maybe even longer).

Good luck. Here's (selfishly) hoping Irene stays well to the West of us when she comes through here on Sunday night.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Frank - How close do they expect this storm to come to your area? Wishing you the best and stay safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frank - How close do they expect this storm to come to your area? Wishing you the best and stay safe.

we were close but we didn't get affected that much. thank God. we didn't lose power either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts