The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My general doctor said I was pre-diabetic Nov. 14, 2013. I am 41 years old. My fasting blood sugar was a 102. My A1c was 5.5. The next day, I was at the gym exercising and saw a dietician. I was not overweight to begin with, and since November I have lost at least 10+ pounds, and have been eating "healthy" (using the plate method - half of the plate is veggies, some protein and some good carbs). I have not had the fruit juices or soda since.

Went and saw an Endocronoligist early this January (2014) and after losing weight, exercising at least five times a week (mostly cardio) and following dietician recommendations..... my numbers are exactly the same!

Was very disheartened....Endo said perhaps I am type 1.5, will find out at end of this month after blood test two weeks from now.

Question I have: How long would it take to see improvement in fasting blood sugar results? I thought from mid November to January I would see better results but have not

·
Super Moderator
9,938 Posts
I don't believe they say your any type of diabetic but I could be wrong. I don't believe in friendly carbs either. If you leave them off your plate your FBG will drop by daylight.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
I agree, I'm also confused. Your numbers are average as far as A1C and FBS. The FBS could be a bit lower, but how did the endo go from pre-diabetic with an A1C of 5.5 (normal at any lab I've been to), to LADA? Were there any other assessments performed that you didn't mention, which pointed towards diabetes?

As the previous poster said, the quickest way to drop BS, including FBS, is to lose the carbs. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies -

My understanding is that I am "pre-diabetic" based on my fasting blood sugar level of 102 (should be below 99). I understand that my A1C level is below what is considered "pre-diabetic."

When I got this news, I did not want to wait and see if it would get worse. I immediately started "healthy", and bought two "pre-diabetes" books that included reciepes, etc. Went and saw a dietician, and upon discussing my (previous) eating habits, I was drinking way too much fruit juices and too many sugars (along with the pasta{carbs}) etc.). I was not overweight (I am 6-03, and weighed about 180 lbs.). I started exercising at least four-five times a day. I now weigh about 165 lbs (+/- 3 lbs).

When I saw my Dr. yesterday I felt like I would be seeing a lower fasting blood sugar (I understand that A1C is a three month snapshot), and when it was the same, I was very shocked that after about 6 weeks, with regular exercise, a recommended diet for someone that is "pre-diabetic" my fasting blood sugar was the same.

My Dr. said 1. Good that it was not going up 2. My body could be slow to show improvement (lower blood sugar) or 3. Perhaps I could be LADA (based on age, weight), and not type 2 pre diabetic.

This lead me to this forum (thank you) and to see about the possiblity of a slow response to a lower blood sugar.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
There are blood tests to determine type, and why your doc hasn't ordered them is incomprehensible. Diagnosing by age and weight is a very unprofessional way to do it. Tell him that you expect to be tested for GAD antibodies and c-peptide, and don't take 'no' for an answer. If you test positive for antibodies, then you're LADA.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Back to your diet. Do you eat a breakfast that is mostly carbs? My friend ate what she thought was a healthy breakfast of a banana, cereal with milk (no sugar), orange juice, and maybe some toast with butter, no jam. When she told me her blood sugar was high at the doctor's and told me what she ate for breakfast, I knew it was the carbs at breakfast. Notice, no protein and little fat. Are you by chance eating "healthy" like my friend. That would explain your numbers. (She changed her eating habits and definitely isn't diabetic or pre diabetic.) I hope that is true in your case.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
With a fasting of 102 & A1c of 5.5 consistent over 3 months, if your GP or Endo are labeling you Pre-diabetic or assuming LADA, they need to go back to school.

You are doing just fine. Now that you are here, hang around, read a lot. Learn, implement, Improve - That will keep you in good shape for many many years to come. Good Luck.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Welcome from a LADA who was originally misdiagnosed as type 2. I didn't get the tests mentioned above until I went to a doctor outside the US, so I think it is not uncommon for docs just to make breezy assumptions.

Whatever happens, it isn't the end of the world.

Welcome.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It definitely isn't uncommon, but it's extremely unprofessional.

I do not want any provider of mine making breezy assumptions about my treatment/diagnosis, and especially not with a killer like diabetes. We pay them for their services and we deserve the best they have to give.

Every patient presenting with diabetes symptoms should be tested - full stop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for replies, to clear up - My Dr. has ordered me to get GAD antibodies and c-peptide tests (I have follow up in two weeks), Dr. did not say I was LADA, wants to run more tests to make sure. I am only "pre diabetic" by my FBS as anything over 100 is considered "pre diabetic"....
JT - yes that would be a typical breakfast (cheerios with blueberries, low fat milk, a tangerine, and maybe 100% whole wheat toast, with olive oil and/or small amount of butter)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Welcome!
Good for you for trying diet to lower your FBS! And actually good for your doc for telling you to look into it. Msot docs would not even say anything at this point. It can take quite some time to lower FBS, but also need the right diet! you had a great start! Now work on lowering your carbs even more!
even more important than your fasting number can be your post meal numbers.

Take a look at this site for lots of info on diabetes and pre-diabetes.
Blood Sugar 101
Then get a meter, I think walgreens has a cheap meter for only $10 with a few strips. You can test your FBG as well as your post meal numbers with your current diet and see how things look.
Then cut carbs even more (slowly is OK!), and test again once youeve done so.

See a difference?

Here is a site for a low carb high fat diet.
Diet Doctor - Real food for your health

when you cut carbs, increasing fat is necessary so that your body has energy for what it needs.

Let us know what you think!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi. The plate method is pretty high in carbs. 1/4 of your plate is whole grains (carbs), half of the plate is veggies. If you have been eating any root veggies, they are high in carbs, as are starchy veggies that grow above ground such as corn, peas and beans. Add to that any fruit you have been eating, plus milk (including low fat) is high in carbs. And Cheerios... holy cow! All that can add up to quite a few carbs per day. Maybe that answers the question of why your numbers were the same.

I'm glad your doc has the good sense to do the proper tests and that you have the determination to take control of this before it gets out of hand.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
sfre, It is WONDERFUL that you are being tested so carefully!

How I wish my internist had been so vigilant!!! I suspect I was "sorta high" for a long time before dx. I was dx'd in DKA, as a T2 ... but yeah, it would appear to be LADA after I had to demand testing multiple times.

·
Premium Member
9,422 Posts
Right now you are eating adiet of high carb/low fat. Those of us on this forum have one thing in common - we've ditched this way of eating and have gone to low-carb/high fat. It definitely helps with rising BG.

If your body is showing difficulty metabolizing carbohydrates, then the best thing you can do (diabetes or not) is to stop eating so many carbs. Better to make the switch now than to wait until your BG rises into full diabetes territory.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Wow, I have to say, you are really really lucky, blessed, fortunate, and I could kiss the ground your doctor walks on for making you lower your blood sugar now before it's too late.

Carbs are the enemy for us. Our pancreatic system is broken, but yours is just struggling. The insulin we need to cover our carbohydrates is produced in the pancreas. If you have higher numbers, that system is breaking down. So we bypass it. What do we do? We slash those carbs to near nothing and abide by a very low carb and high fat diet. The great benefit to this diet besides lowering blood sugar is the pretty rapid weight loss. Contrary to what we have believed, fat does not make you fat... carbs do.

Also remember that insulin is the major fat storing hormone. So, the less carbs you have, the less insulin you have running around your body. 99% of Insulin produced in your body is a response to any and all carbohydrates you put into your body. So, spinach is a better choice than carrots, rutabaga is a better choice than potatoes, bacon and eggs for breakfast is a better choice than cereal, heavy whipping cream is a better choice than milk.

Welcome. Yes, you are very welcomed here. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thank you for replies, to clear up - My Dr. has ordered me to get GAD antibodies and c-peptide tests (I have follow up in two weeks), Dr. did not say I was LADA, wants to run more tests to make sure. I am only "pre diabetic" by my FBS as anything over 100 is considered "pre diabetic"....
JT - yes that would be a typical breakfast (cheerios with blueberries, low fat milk, a tangerine, and maybe 100% whole wheat toast, with olive oil and/or small amount of butter)
Look at diet change and your numbers should improve. Carbs turn to sugar and you said cereal it might take time to work on it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Try eating lchf for a while. I bet it is your excess carbs that are running up your fasting blood sugar readings. I count about 40 to 60 carbs, especially with the 24 to 26 carbs of the whole wheat toast. (boy, do I miss that toast!) If you eat 30 to 40 carbs per meal, that is about 130 carbs per day. Really too high to get a low fasting blood sugar. Are you by chance testing yourself throughout the day? Also, if you don't eat fish once or twice a week, start.

Reactions: foxl and Shanny
1 - 17 of 17 Posts