The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm confused about some conflicting advice regarding the best exercise intensity for avoiding diabetes and am hoping someone can shed some light on the inconsistent information. Here's my sequence of events:
--Age forty-something thru age 56: blood glucose ("BG") hovering around 100, but wasn't warned about it till a little over a year ago.
--After being warned, didn't do enough and found, maybe a nine months ago, BG had risen to 105. Changed diet to avoid refined carbs and began exercising 2-3 times a week. Then around July 2008 I began exercising in earnest, mostly day hikes, where I gradually built up to some strenuous hikes of up to 6 hours, 1 to 2 times per week. I thought I was doing really well!
--Then, September 2008 I had a routine blood test, expecting great results after losing 5 pounds and loads of exercise, but found my fasting BG had risen to 115 and a1c at 5.8%!!
--Totally freaked out by the above result, I began doing vigorous cardio exercise for 40-60 minutes (usually 60) six days per week; weightlifting 2-3 times per week (3 sets each of about 10 exercises); radical diet change, avoiding all refined carbs and low GI foods and getting more protein [as a result, my weight has dropped 20 more pounds from 195 to about 175 (I'm 5'9")]; plus taking a variety of supplements, like chromium, biotin, alpha lipoic acid, turmeric, CoQ10, lots of fiber, fenugreek, cinnamon extract, gymnema, omega-3 pills plus cod liver oil, etc. I'm currently in the best shape I've been in since high school.

After all the above, I figured I probably had made big improvements! Well, I recently acquired a BG meter and tested my BG for the first time this morning, after having not eaten for 12 hours, and my BG was still 115, the same as it was over 20 pounds ago! ARGGGHH! The only thing I can think of is perhaps I'm exercising too strenuously? [Yesterday, I did interval training (running 2 minutes alternating with walking for 2 minutes) for about an hour; then went to the gym and lifted weights.] So perhaps this is some kind of rebound effect from having drained my BG exercising yesterday? Still, I would have thought that losing over 20 pounds would have produced SOME improvement.

Any advice/comments greatly welcome!! I'm particularly interested in the "optimal" amount and intensity of exercise, since some advice I've seen says strenuous exercise is very good and others say you get diminishing returns. (Sorry for the long post!)
Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts