The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have been following threads on this site for some time, and thought I'd finally post my situation.

I am 44 years old, 5'6 and 118lbs. Not overweight and in good health, not diabetic. I am not a stress head over this as I have always done my utmost to be healthy. However...I had a fasting blood sugar at 6.2 which surprised me as I eat low carb and have done for many years. I purchased a glucose meter to measure at home. My numbers appear to be stable ranging from 4.2 to 5.5 throughout the day but my fasting glucose is always highest averaging around 6.0 ;-/. Is this the start of diabetes I wonder?

Generally through out life I have had low BP and low BS so I feel gutted to almost have Dawn syndrome readings.

Anyhow, nice to meet you all and thank you for such a fab group of supportive folk.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Hi Sally, Welcome to the Forum. The DP Syndrome plauges a lot of us. Even normal non diabetics seem to get it. The difference though is how quickly your endocrine system kicks in extra insulin to push the extra glucose into the cells. With pre diabetics and diabetics the beta cells may not produce as much insulin as they once did. So when stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol are produced and they signal liver to convert glycogen into glucose, the pancreas should then produce enough insulin to push the new glucose into the cells for energy. But this process becomes broken when our basal insulin production starts to falter. That is why we see higher bgs in the morning.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hi Sally - happy to meet you.

I think you're doing the right thing in just keeping an eye on it with your home monitor. It may develop into something or it may not . . . you're already low-carbing & that may be what is staving it off. Nice work! ;)

Welcome aboard & you're more than welcome to hang with us - the more the merrier!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Sally!

I'll trade you a chocolate glazed doughnut, three cats eye marbles and my sister for your 6.2....deal? (hmmm.....in fact, I'll give you my sister for free). :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for your replies and kind welcome, your sister for free lol! Ummm not sure, I kind of struggle with the one I got.

Blood Glucose is a strangle ole beast for sure!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts