The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Hi, my name is Nikki and I'm new here. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic a few months ago with an A1-C of 5.5. I am over weight and have no idea what to eat. I'm learning slowly! My main questions are about Metformin. I started off at 500 mg twice a day, now the Dr has increased me to 1000 mg twice daily. I've been on the higher dose 4 days now and I am so sick. I have horrible upset stomach and sweating. I get very dizzy and blurred vision. Is this normal with the increase and will get better? Also, I've read a lot about lactic acidosis. This is very scary to me. Have any of you had lactic acidosis? I've discussed this fear with my Dr and she said just take the medicine. I know, I need a new Dr. I'm just so confused and upset. I'm 40 years old and I have a 4 year old daughter that I want more then anything to see her grow up. Any advice and tips on all of this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Nikki! :welcome:

Very glad you found us ... sorry that you had to. You will find a lot of info, support and the best kind of nosiness here.

At your levels, acidosis should not be an issue. Your Metformin, however, may be causing unpleasant side effects. Fortunately, Metformin also comes in an extended release (ER or XR), which is usually easier on digestive systems. You'll want to ask your doc for Metformin Extended Release ... and you may also be able to decrease your dose.

Blurred vision is pretty normal as your glucose levels go down, and spikes may result in a comeback. The Good News is ... this is almost always temporary! If you can keep your levels down, your eyesight should straighten up, too.

Kudos to your doc for diagnosing you at 5.5! Too many docs wait until A1cs are far higher, and complications have already begun. If you can achieve good control and keep it, you should have a long, healthy life, diabetes-wise.

Nosy Question (as promised): Were you given an eating plan?

Others, no doubt, will come along soon, but for now I'd like to leave a couple of links on diabetes and food that you may find helpful:

Blood Sugar 101

Low-Carb, High-Fat (LCHF) for Beginners

Please read a lot, ask lots of questions and ... most of all ... please keep us posted!

·
Registered
39 Posts
That's a pretty high dose for metformin for your A1C. My doc. started me on metformin 500mgx1 and work up to metformin 500mgx2. (but everyone is different) I thought i was going to have no issue except for mild nausea, I started on that twice a day, and i was having to run to the bathroom. Luckily i was home both days when it happened. Did you have gestational diabetes when you were pregnant?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Nikki. Do you have a meter to test your blood at home? That is the best tool you can have to wage war on you high blood sugar. That and a med that doesn't upset your stomach! Ask your doctor to switch you to metformin XR (extended release) which will reduce the gastric symptoms a lot. And whether she has offered one or not, you can get a meter without a prescription - just go to Walmart & look for the ReliOn Prime and test strips to go with it - it's the cheapest I know of.

Then you'll want to study how to Lower Your Blood Sugar and everything else on that site too. What to eat is covered at LCHF for Beginners. This will get you started & others will be stopping by with more & better suggestions.

Try not to worry - it looks as though you've caught this quite early on, and you'll not only dance at your daughter's wedding, you can spoil your grandchildren like every granny has a right to do! :hug:

·
Registered
547 Posts
:confused: Hi, my name is Nikki and I'm new here. I was diagnosed pre-diabetic a few months ago with an A1-C of 5.5. I am over weight and have no idea what to eat. I'm learning slowly! My main questions are about Metformin. I started off at 500 mg twice a day, now the Dr has increased me to 1000 mg twice daily. I've been on the higher dose 4 days now and I am so sick. I have horrible upset stomach and sweating. I get very dizzy and blurred vision. Is this normal with the increase and will get better? Also, I've read a lot about lactic acidosis. This is very scary to me. Have any of you had lactic acidosis? I've discussed this fear with my Dr and she said just take the medicine. I know, I need a new Dr. I'm just so confused and upset. I'm 40 years old and I have a 4 year old daughter that I want more then anything to see her grow up. Any advice and tips on all of this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.
Were you diagnosed just on the basis of HbA1c, ie without a fasting blood glucose test. Like you, I am prediabetic and was offered Metformin.I preferred to wander off and seek out a medication free solution to the problem, came across Atkins and then the LCHF MOE and it cured the symptoms. It could be an option for you some time,should you wish. Its well worth reading about the many wonders the LCHF bestows upon its followers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your reply's. I was not given a eating plan or diet, all I was told was not to eat anything white. Her exact words were "if it white, it ain't right". I did not have gestational diabetes during pregnancy. I was much thinner during my pregnancy which is embarrassing. I had a bad experience with depression after the birth of my daughter 4 years ago and I have gained a lot of weight. I know it's strange, what should have been the happiest moment of my life was a very dark time for me. I have two old children from my first marriage, 20 and 21 years old. I was told I could no longer have children 6 years ago due to cyst on my ovaries. I was scheduled for a complete hysterectomy when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter. I was told by the Gyno that I would not carry the baby to term and would most likely she would not survive due to the severity of my ovarian cyst. So I slipped into a deep depression. I didn't buy anything for my daughter and I lived everyday in fear wondering if that would be the day I would lose my baby. Even after I past a point in my pregnancy when it looked like her survival was just about 100 %, I still remained depressed. I'm happy to say I did carrying daughter to term with no complications to her or myself. I can't explain why it has taken me so long to overcome my depression, but I have for the most part. I hope this wasn't too much info. I do have a meter and my waking BS is usually in the 90's, once it was 101. My BS two hours after meals is always under 140. My random BS is between 80-120. Thank you all again for your reply's.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Generally speaking using the HbA1c in isolation isn't entirely usual. There are so many factors that can skew it both up and down that sometimes folk don't get diagnosed when they should and others get a heavier weight message than is justified.

In your own case, I think your doctor is wise to suggest you think of yourself as diabetic and his advice in general is sound - pity it lacks quite a bit on the detail. :)

Anyway, Shanny has already pointed you in the right direction with LCHF for Beginners | DietDoctor.com and the other site to explore is Blood Sugar 101 . That site will fill in a lot of the blanks on how this condition can be managed.

Now - relax and look forward to a dance at your daughter's wedding! :D

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
That's a pretty high dose for metformin for your A1C.
Not necessarily. My doctor also started low and built to the maximum dose. His plan is to maintain me at that dose, as he's done for the past 15 months, for the best possible blood sugar control. It can depend on several factors and is not necessarily a 'bad thing' to build right up to a higher dose.

:welcome: Nikki, glad you joined us.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I will beg to differ from the others a bit. With one A1c test, returning non-daibetic numbers, the doctor should have probably labelled you as Insulin Resistant rather than pre-diabetic. Though when very loosely used both the terms might mean the same thing. Metformin is prescribed based more on weight rather than A1c, as Mary says.

·
Banned
164 Posts
I will beg to differ from the others a bit. With one A1c test, returning non-daibetic numbers, the doctor should have probably labelled you as Insulin Resistant rather than pre-diabetic. Though when very loosely used both the terms might mean the same thing. Metformin is prescribed based more on weight rather than A1c, as Mary says.
My latest doctor said she considers me to have impaired fasting blood glucose as my latest A1c was 5.6 and fasting the morning of the blood work was 102. I don't know a lot about metformin but if your A1c was in normal range then why be on meds?

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Welcome to the forum Nikki.

If you use your meter to test 1hr and 2hr after your meals - this is a better indication of how you are handling carbs than anything else.

Whatever your level of impaired glucose metabolism, or insulin resistant - you can't go wrong with a diet low in carbs, moderate in protein, and high in fats. Many people use this way of eating to lose weight, and doctors often prescribe metformin to non-diabetics as an aid to losing weight. So it's really not a bad thing, if you can take it without "issues".

I think you will find the LCHF way of eating to be helpful for you in several areas, not just for blood sugar control. It is a very healthy way to eat - and clears up many health problems, some that one didn't even know existed until it went away. It has a great impact on normalizing cholesterol and blood pressure, eliminating GERD and heartburn. In my case it cleared up my very dry skin and eyes. Several members here have reported that it improved their mood and helped lift depression (I'm one of them).

LCHF is a win/win lifestyle - for anyone - and especially diabetics.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Check out the other thread this morning. Jademuffin has some clear advice about how to take metformin without those side effects. The advice about not eating white is good--she meant no grains, potatoes, starchy vegs, etc. BTW cauliflower is white and really good with butter (real butter, not margarine). Cauliflower and mushrooms are the exceptions to the white advice.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I'm surprised that your doctor started you on Metformin with an A1c of just 5.5. According to the American Diabetes Association web site, 5.5 is normal:

Diagnosing Diabetes and Learning About Prediabetes: American Diabetes Association®
I know that some doctors prefer to start pre-diabetic patients on low doses of metformin, but your A1c is in the normal range, and 500 twice a day isn't a low dose.

Maybe you could call your doctor and ask if you could reduce the dose, or hold of on the metformin for 3 months and do another A1c?

My A1c is currently 5.9 and has been as high as 6.2, but my doctor has not prescribed metformin. She diagnoses by A1c, but doesn't prescribe until you're in the diabetic range. She might be a little *too* conservative, but still, I wonder if your doctor is being too aggressive. Do you have a family history of diabetes? Do you have heart problems?

You said you were overweight. Some people have an easier time losing weight on Metformin. Maybe she's prescribing it to help you with weight loss? (Not all overweight people are diabetic, and not all diabetics are overweight, but many doctors seem to focus on weight.)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yes, metformin is prescribed to help with weight loss, so I see nothing peculiar or threatening about the prescription or its dosage. I think you should switch to the extended release version, and then if that does not bring some relief, make up your mind to continue or quit. But met does curb appetite, and it's been a safe time-tested drug.

I wonder if you had moved up to 1500mg for awhile instead of doubling your original dosage - things may have been easier on your digestion. Have you considered dropping back a bit, since you apparently had no issues on the lower dosage?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts