The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have pre DB with my A1c 7.0, and my glucose tolerance fasting was 101 and the 2nd blood draw was normal. I find it confusing to have the A1c say I am DB, and the glucose tolerance coming back as normal. I gained 20 lbs over the last year, and I can't seem to loose it. I walk 20 minutes on the treadmil daily, and do power yoga 3 to 4 times a week, any suggestions. Also, I am not on medication and my doctor feels I can control the DB through diet and exercise. Any diet suggestions?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The formula (eAG(mg/dl) = (28.7 X HbA1c) – 46.7) I use to calculate average blood sugar from your A1c number shows that your 7% A1c converts to an average blood sugar of 154. That is diabetic.

This link to Blood Sugar 101 gives a good explanation of normal levels.

I'm confused as to the meaning of "glucose tolerance fasting". If you haven't eaten for 8-12 hours and then test your blood, that is a fasting number. If you have had a glucose tolerance test, you ingested a measured amount of glucose, whereupon your blood was tested to see how much it raised your blood sugar . . . but it would not be a fasting number.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Even a diabetic can have a "normal" fasting depending on the diet the previous few days. There are many diabetics who control only with diet and exercise and have "normal" Blood sugars

A Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT) confirms diabetes. A fasting number is not sufficient for a diagnosis. Normally as a person becomes a diabetic first the post meals (lunch/dinner) numbers detoriate and the fastings are the last to go. A OGTT test confirms how your body reacts to a high glucose meal.

In any case a HBA1C of 7 pretty much confirms diabetes. Most of us were diagnosed at much higher HBA1Cs, so it may mean you're diabetes is not that severe at the moment and can be controlled more easily.

Have you visited a doctor yet ? If your doctor does diagnose you as Diabetic I am sure you can manage this easily with diet and exercise...

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I have pre DB with my A1c 7.0, and my glucose tolerance fasting was 101 and the 2nd blood draw was normal. I find it confusing to have the A1c say I am DB, and the glucose tolerance coming back as normal. I gained 20 lbs over the last year, and I can't seem to loose it. I walk 20 minutes on the treadmil daily, and do power yoga 3 to 4 times a week, any suggestions. Also, I am not on medication and my doctor feels I can control the DB through diet and exercise. Any diet suggestions?
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Your numbers certainly suggest that you have an issue although some of the numbers you quote seem a bit odd and I'm with Shanny, I think you may have switched the labels round a bit. :)

Anyway, I tend to agree with the doctor, and suggest you have a good look at Blood Sugar 101 - again, just as Shanny suggested. Please "forget" the expression "pre-diabetic" . Consider yourself a diabetic and change your diet now. That way, you may find, as Tony suggests, you need never have to use medication to control the situation.

Start by looking at the carbohydrate content of your meals and cut it back - firmly. You may well find that this will do two things. Reduce your blood glucose level and help you lose weight. (It did for me)

Two investments that I think are mandatory - first, a blood glucose meter. Please get one and use it as described in Blood Sugar 101 . Second, a diet log book to record the meals you take and the results after 1 and 2 hours before and after you modify the carbohydrate content.

Yes, it's a fair bit of trouble but hopefully if you follow that strategy, you will never qualify for official "full" membership of this forum.

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info, I read all the links you have given me which I found very helpful. Let me clarify the info I gave you. My first test was the A1c, based on that result my doctor orderered the 1hour glucose tolerance test. The 1st blood draw (fasting) was 101, the 2nd blood draw 1 hour after drinking the syrup was normal. Also, my father, two brothers and my oldest daughter have type 2 DB. I have high blood pressure, high colestrol and gain weight in the mid section. I will start to monitor my sugar and follow a low carb diet asap.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It sounds like you may have what they call Metabolic Syndrome which is the precurser to full blown Diabetes. The main component of this is Insulin Resistance. What sometimes happens is your bg may spike quickly and drop quickly appearing that you have normal bgs. The one good thing about an HbA1c is that it doesn't lie. If your HbA1c is 7.0 that is an average of 154 throughout the day. So if your fasting is low then at some other time of the day you are very high to give you that average. Do you own a bg monitor? I think it would be good to do some basal testing throughout the day for a few months. Test as soon as you get up and then 2 hours after meals. I would also do some random tests in the middle of the night or 5 or 6 hours after eating to see if you are getting liver dumps with extra glucose. Being diabetic is sometime like a Medical Detective.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the machine PMom

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Like jwags has said, the onset of D can be preceded by instances of " reactive hypoglycemia " hence the normal numbers, but higher A1c. I think, in any case, you have been forewarned. Follow the great advice that you have been given and you should see a turn-around pretty soon.

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
@polishmom

One other thing I would change would be your exercise level. Without knowing more information about schedule, disabilities, etc., I would increase your walking to at least an hour a day. This can be broken up into three 20 minute segments if the fits your schedule or abilities better.

Personally, I do two one- hour segments M-F and on the weekends I do a 5 mile walk each day and they have worked great for me.

Just something to think about.

Well, some I have today off for the holiday, guess it's time to get ready for a weekend walk.

Take care and good luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
If your blood test rendered you're fine...then you are. When I had a fasted bs, I was 225, so they KNEW I was diabetic w/o a doubt.

I would still monitor my carb take-in, and I'd try to stick to the whole grain foods and less of the processed ones. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts