The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I just got one fasting BG 102, and A1c 5.4%

Doc says I am fine however I believe I might start to have prediabetes.

Now I have find out that my Ferritin level is very high. between 500-600.

I am only 32, BMI lower from 25 to 22, morning fasting between 89-102.

My guess is my insulin resistance is very high now, however my pancreas is keep up that is why my bg is still ok.

I am worried that I am cooking my pancreas though.

Is there anyone has similar situation?

Should I ask doctor to give medicine now?

They even refuse to do a serum insulin for me now.

JErry

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi Jerry. I'm not a master of blood tests, but I guess a high Ferritin level can be indicative of inflammation related to liver problems or autoimmune disease. What does your doctor say about that high level?

If you are concerned about "cooking" your pancreas, I'd suggest eating a low carb diet to minimize insulin production.

Jen

·
Registered
322 Posts
don't get so worked up. you might be on the high side of normal, but still normal.
reduce your carb intake, get some exercise and take good care of yourself. if you do this now then the chance of becoming a type 2 will be reduced.
and when it comes to taking medication, there is no need to start taking medication if simple diet modifications and exercise will do even better.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the reply.

I did two time ferritin one is 530 another is 630. My TIBC total Iron binding capacity is low, Iron level is normal. Since my Ferritin is not over 1000 and my total iron is normal they don't think I have Hemochromatosis(iron overload)

I am also diagnosed with gastritis and stomach erosion. However my GI doc told me he don't know any connection between high Ferritin level and gastritis.

What I learnt is that elevated Ferritin might be a heritage thing. There is study shows high Ferritin is correlated with Prediabetes. In other word people with higher Ferritin will be more easy to get diabetes.

Just wonder if anyone here has similar complication.

Doc told me Ferritin high than 1000ug/ml will cause symptons like joint pain and organ damage.

I have just find that bitter melon juice actually lower BG a big time on me.
I have about a cup of bitter melon with meal. 1 hour BG is 99! my normal range was up 120ish. Strongly recommend that now, however I find if I drink before bed, it will pump up morning fasting. Maybe what happens is BG drop too low at night.

Hi Jerry. I'm not a master of blood tests, but I guess a high Ferritin level can be indicative of inflammation related to liver problems or autoimmune disease. What does your doctor say about that high level?

If you are concerned about "cooking" your pancreas, I'd suggest eating a low carb diet to minimize insulin production.

Jen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts