The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I feel so grateful to have found this forum. Everyone seems so supportive towards each other and I look forward to sharing in that support.

My name is Sascha and I am a 28 year old woman diagnosed with 'pre diabetes'. This diagnosis shook me as I lost over 40 lbs since June 2010. Needless to say, the weight loss was not done the healthy way and once I dropped the pounds, I thought it was safe to load up on carbs and sugar. I am now 138 lbs and 5'8 and looking very much emaciated. Want to get my weight up to 150 at the least.

My emotions at this point is all over the place. The doc who diagnosed me sounded like he could give two craps and sent me on my merry way with advice to cut back on soda and juice (which I never drink). I saw a nutritionist who told me to eat high fiber carbs (steel oats, quinoa, beans) and that it was ok to double up on those portions as well as healthy fats (avocados, evoo and coconut oil) in order to make the 2500 calorie range needed to gain weight. I have also started to test my fasting and 2hr blood sugar ranges which have been for the most part in the 90 and under 110 ( though I heard meters are not accurate).

Long story short, I am overwhelmed by all the conflicting info and I'm hoping I can connect with veterans and newbies alike.

Thank you all for this opportunity to be a part of your community!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome! No reason to be scared out of your mind...take a breath and realize you've been given a warning. Test, test, test is the answer and avoid those carbs and you'll be okay. Your weight sounds okay to me for your age. Almost model-esque in my mind. In any case, just eat carefully and watch your blood sugars.

Your BMI is within the normal range, by the way.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We're delighted to have you join us, Sascha, and I hope we can quell your fears. This is a life sentence in the respect that there's no cure, but it surely is not a death sentence. If you take it seriously, watch your carb intake, get regular exercise and (as Pat says), test/test/test, you may well stave off higher blood sugar levels for years. We're here to help you feel good about yourself & learn a few things that your medical team won't tell you.

I AM sorry your doc couldn't muster any more compassion than he did - and the nutritionist got a few things right about the avocados & coconut oil, but is totally lost about which high-fiber foods are best. I believe we need plenty of fiber in our diets, but grains are not the way to get it. Choose high-fiber vegetables instead, like broccoli & cauliflower, asparagus, celery, artichoke hearts, etc. You can smother them with butter, cheese sauce or hollandaise sauce - and that will help too.

Do try to relax & understand that this is a wake-up call - you'll be fine & we'll help you.

Thank you for joining us! :)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Sascha! One of the first things we learn here is that when we go see those docs/dieticians/nutritionists that give us horrible dietary advice, the best thing to do is nod and smile. Repeat when necessary. Then do what YOU know is best for YOU.

Meters are not accurate but the are one of the only tools that we have and if we remember that there is a +/- 20% margin of error, they are perfectly fine tools to use. Find one that gives you consistent values and stick with it. If you know it is reading low, just keep that in mind. There is one meter that has a +/- 10% margin of error and as far as I know, it's the only one out there are will likely be expensive for strips. That extra 10% isn't really necessary either.

Like Shanny states, this is not a death sentence. What it is is a wake-up call. (dammit, she said that too!) Use it to become healthier! You'll feel so much better about yourself by doing so. And testing is important as Pat mentioned but don't simply test after you eat without thinking WHY you are doing so. Your reason should not be to see how high you meal has put you (that's secondary). Use you testings to help you determine what foods cause your levels to spike and what foods do not. I don't pay for my strips so I was testing very frequently....both at 1 hour and 2 hours after eating a meal. If I was still in testing mode, I would eat one food that I wanted to test and do the same procedure.

Again, welcome and breathe! :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. I had a similar story and lost 50 pounds, the healthy way over a 6 year period. After having done all that hard work I was dx'd with diabetes. The first thing the doctor said to me was to lose more weight and maybe exercise more. I was already in the gym 2-3 hours a day. I'm not sure what he was thinking. I had been a vegetarian and when I met with the dietician she prescribed the exact same diet that had given me diabetes. She recomended 45-60 carbs per meal and 30 carbs for 2 snacks a day. Well, doing that didn't last long. She really didn't give me much info I could use. My doctor told me testing for type 2's was optional. So I kept my bgs way too high for way too long. I finally asked for metformin and even increased it 3 times before I saw numbers anywhere near 100. Once I found online forums I discoverd the most important time to test is 2 hours after you eat. By doing that after all your meals you can gradually get after meal bgs down to 110-120. If I eat too many carbs I will creep up to 120-140 or higher. I tried eating 60 carbs and was 240, so won't do that again.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi, Sascha. I am also pre-diabetic, but have kept my blood sugar low by following the advice of some of the same people who are giving you advice in this thread. To keep your blood sugar down and still gain weight, I would eat a lot of the low-carb, but high-calorie foods like heavy cream instead of milk and lots of cheese and almonds. Shanny is right about buttering veggies and eating cheese sauce on everything to gain weight.

In the recipe section of the forum there is a great crustless pumpkin pie recipe, and diaetics can have crusless cheesecake if it is made with the right ingredients. If you look through the low carb recipes here, you'll find a lot of goodies that can fatten you up.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hey all! I feel so grateful to have found this forum. Everyone seems so supportive towards each other and I look forward to sharing in that support.

My name is Sascha and I am a 28 year old woman diagnosed with 'pre diabetes'. This diagnosis shook me as I lost over 40 lbs since June 2010. Needless to say, the weight loss was not done the healthy way and once I dropped the pounds, I thought it was safe to load up on carbs and sugar. I am now 138 lbs and 5'8 and looking very much emaciated. Want to get my weight up to 150 at the least.

Thank you all for this opportunity to be a part of your community!
Hello Sascha, and again , welcome to the forum.

I got clobbered last year with a full blown Diabetic KetoAcidosis attack and it was very definitely NOT funny. With hindsight, I must have been running hyper for months (lots of them) before the final crunch, so use the "pre-diabetic" diagnosis as a useful warning.

As the others have said, diabetes is not impossible to manage but it does take work. Meters are a godsend, and yes, they are disgustingly inaccurate especially given what the test strips cost. However, as canadiandude said, the important point is consistency. Track down a meter that gives YOU consistent results, and although you'll find a lot of posts on the forum quoting the values the members get, comparing, say, my reading with your reading doesn't really prove anything.

A great site to look at is Blood Sugar 101. There you'll find a lot of sensible non jargon advice on managing the issue.

Finally, you do have my sympathy on the attitude of your doctor but, I'm really sorry to say that you're not alone with that issue - and it's an international one too! As for dietary advice - dammit - he said this too!:) Listen politely, smile sweetly and then go home and do the right thing - that's what I did when I left hospital in August last year. It works!:)

Good luck,

John

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
welcome to the machine!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the kind words and practical advice. These past few months have been quite difficult needless to say. But i definitely feel as if i have found a home here.

A few questions:
How many carbs would be reasonable per meal?

I don't eat meat/poultry, nuts or dairy- what would my alternatives be as most non meat proteins have carbs (ex: beans - quinoa)?

Isn't too much fat over the RDA a bad thing? (i mean i eat olive oil/avocados) with everything.

I am testing like a mad man and unfortunately my insurance doesn't pay for jack :-( I just did a lab test and tested myself on my meter so when i get the results i will see how close they are.

I will definitely check out the recipes.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
I don't eat meat/poultry, nuts or dairy- what would my alternatives be as most non meat proteins have carbs (ex: beans - quinoa)?
Oh my, you -are- a challenge, aren't you? :) Do you eat fish? Salmon is great and fatty.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
No such thing as too much fat on a low carb regimen, and your avocados & olive oil are perfect. Another one is coconut oil - many of us have added it to our way-of-eating . . . I add it to my coffee nearly every morning anymore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh my, you -are- a challenge, aren't you? :) Do you eat fish? Salmon is great and fatty.
Love it!!!!! But was told i should be eating fish only 4 times per week:eek:hwell::eek:hwell: I am including soy substitutes every now and then. As for being a challenge.....no one could every claim i was easy to please:)

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
You've got me curious - why don't you eat dairy or nuts? and I suppose on the days you don't eat fish you can eat a lot of eggs!

I would d.i.e without cheese. I was always a cheese freak, but cut it waaay back years ago because of restricting fats. Eating cheese with (almost) abandon is maybe the best thing that resulted from my diabetes dx.

No cheese? Really?

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Love it!!!!! But was told i should be eating fish only 4 times per week:eek:hwell::eek:hwell: I am including soy substitutes every now and then. As for being a challenge.....no one could every claim i was easy to please:)
im sure the people that told you this also follow what the ADA says about carbs and diabetics :blabla:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You've got me curious - why don't you eat dairy or nuts? and I suppose on the days you don't eat fish you can eat a lot of eggs!

I would d.i.e without cheese. I was always a cheese freak, but cut it waaay back years ago because of restricting fats. Eating cheese with (almost) abandon is maybe the best thing that resulted from my diabetes dx.

No cheese? Really?
I am allergic to nuts and dairy dairy breaks me out like crazy. Finding dairy substitutes are tricky because they do have carbs (usually around 4g). As for soy milk with its sugar -how much is too much? I miss cheese a ton too and will eat it occasionally. Trying to gain weight, will 2500 calories with all it's fat and protein bump up my weight (even with modest exercise?). I am 140 at 5'8 and way too thin because of my body frame - want to go up to 150 (still within my healthy range). My two biggest concerns on low carb/high fat include: high cholesterol (which has not been a problem for me) and losing weight (which i know about first hand having been on Atkins in my teens). Can this way of eating also cause ketones in urine (which i've read is bad bad bad). Thank you all for the input.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I am allergic to nuts and dairy dairy breaks me out like crazy. Finding dairy substitutes are tricky because they do have carbs (usually around 4g). As for soy milk with its sugar -how much is too much? I miss cheese a ton too and will eat it occasionally. Trying to gain weight, will 2500 calories with all it's fat and protein bump up my weight (even with modest exercise?). I am 140 at 5'8 and way too thin because of my body frame - want to go up to 150 (still within my healthy range). My two biggest concerns on low carb/high fat include: high cholesterol (which has not been a problem for me) and losing weight (which i know about first hand having been on Atkins in my teens). Can this way of eating also cause ketones in urine (which i've read is bad bad bad). Thank you all for the input.
On the cholesterol side - high fat doesn't cause a problem.
These were my figures in August 2010 when I was diagnosed:
Total: 136
HDL: 39
LDL: 82
Triglerides: 96
Not too bad, except for the low HDL but the triglycerides were higher than I liked.

These are my figures from last week:
Total: 198
HDL: 104
LDL: 85
Triglerides: 43
Really, not too shabby for a year on a higher fat diet.

On ketones in urine - I understand that the issue is more with "unexplained ketones ....". This happens when you're pushing a DKA but after I got over that, I've had no issues in that regard, so I wouldn't be overly concerned.

John

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Wow John - your HDL increase is phenomenal. Kudos to Judy - oh, and your body for responding so well.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
My two biggest concerns on low carb/high fat include: high cholesterol (which has not been a problem for me) and losing weight (which i know about first hand having been on Atkins in my teens).
Like John, I saw improvement in cholesterol numbers, so that shouldn't be an issue. I've never tried to gain weight so am useless on that score. Shoot - my suggestions for gaining revolve around things you can't eat. So you're allergic to every nut? You have both a peanut allergy =and= a tree nut allergy?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Ketones in the urine aren't bad necessarily. They just mean that your liver is breaking down fatty acids to turn into energy (ketone bodies), the process known as ketosis. Diabetic ketoacidosis is completely different.

If your blood sugar is normal and you produce a sufficient amount of insulin, then you don't need to worry about ketones in your urine brought on by a low-carbohydrate diet. Ketones themselves aren't dangerous.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.