The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I feel so grateful to have found this forum. Everyone seems so supportive towards each other and I look forward to sharing in that support.

My name is Sascha and I am a 28 year old woman diagnosed with 'pre diabetes'. This diagnosis shook me as I lost over 40 lbs since June 2010. Needless to say, the weight loss was not done the healthy way and once I dropped the pounds, I thought it was safe to load up on carbs and sugar. I am now 138 lbs and 5'8 and looking very much emaciated. Want to get my weight up to 150 at the least.

My emotions at this point is all over the place. The doc who diagnosed me sounded like he could give two craps and sent me on my merry way with advice to cut back on soda and juice (which I never drink). I saw a nutritionist who told me to eat high fiber carbs (steel oats, quinoa, beans) and that it was ok to double up on those portions as well as healthy fats (avocados, evoo and coconut oil) in order to make the 2500 calorie range needed to gain weight. I have also started to test my fasting and 2hr blood sugar ranges which have been for the most part in the 90 and under 110 ( though I heard meters are not accurate).

Long story short, I am overwhelmed by all the conflicting info and I'm hoping I can connect with veterans and newbies alike.

Thank you all for this opportunity to be a part of your community!

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the kind words and practical advice. These past few months have been quite difficult needless to say. But i definitely feel as if i have found a home here.

A few questions:
How many carbs would be reasonable per meal?

I don't eat meat/poultry, nuts or dairy- what would my alternatives be as most non meat proteins have carbs (ex: beans - quinoa)?

Isn't too much fat over the RDA a bad thing? (i mean i eat olive oil/avocados) with everything.

I am testing like a mad man and unfortunately my insurance doesn't pay for jack :-( I just did a lab test and tested myself on my meter so when i get the results i will see how close they are.

I will definitely check out the recipes.

Thanks!

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh my, you -are- a challenge, aren't you? :) Do you eat fish? Salmon is great and fatty.
Love it!!!!! But was told i should be eating fish only 4 times per week:eek:hwell::eek:hwell: I am including soy substitutes every now and then. As for being a challenge.....no one could every claim i was easy to please:)

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh my, you -are- a challenge, aren't you? :) Do you eat fish? Salmon is great and fatty.
You've got me curious - why don't you eat dairy or nuts? and I suppose on the days you don't eat fish you can eat a lot of eggs!

I would d.i.e without cheese. I was always a cheese freak, but cut it waaay back years ago because of restricting fats. Eating cheese with (almost) abandon is maybe the best thing that resulted from my diabetes dx.

No cheese? Really?
I am allergic to nuts and dairy dairy breaks me out like crazy. Finding dairy substitutes are tricky because they do have carbs (usually around 4g). As for soy milk with its sugar -how much is too much? I miss cheese a ton too and will eat it occasionally. Trying to gain weight, will 2500 calories with all it's fat and protein bump up my weight (even with modest exercise?). I am 140 at 5'8 and way too thin because of my body frame - want to go up to 150 (still within my healthy range). My two biggest concerns on low carb/high fat include: high cholesterol (which has not been a problem for me) and losing weight (which i know about first hand having been on Atkins in my teens). Can this way of eating also cause ketones in urine (which i've read is bad bad bad). Thank you all for the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.