The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I learned that I pregnant and three days later learned that I was diabetic. Talk about a whirlwind of discoveries. I just divorced my husband and the pregnancy was enough of a surprise, but now I feel as though I have a really hard challenge ahead of me. I don't know what to do about all of this. I went to see my PCP, and he basically told me that the OBGYN will be directing my care. The OBGYN sent me to a High Risk Pregnancy doctor. I don't have an appointment with him until this week. Right now, I have had to teach myself how to use a glucose monitor, stick myself, and had a dietian teach me to keep my diet to 200 carbs. I get anywhere close to that number, and I have blood sugar levels in the 200s....I don't know what to do...the baby needs carbs to grow, but it also does not need the extra blood sugar. I am really scared, and I am not sure, if I am doing the right thing for my child or for me. I find a lot of information about what to do, if you have a low sugar day, but when you have a high one there is not any information....I am kind of at a loss. I am also truly terrified of having to inject myself with insulin a minimum of three times a day. Phew. Thanks for letting me get this all out. I know I will find the answers that I seek soon.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
First relax, its not the end of the world, lots of women have gestation diabetes and they have fine healthy babies.

1) to check your BG use the side of your finger (less pain)
2) Your baby does NOT need CARBS to grow, your body make all the food your baby needs from fat and protien. Carbs are just the fastest way to get them (thats why your BG goes up with carbs, fast)
3) when your BG is high go for a walk, ride a bicycle.. any non energetic exercise will lower your BG

Insulin is a great tool injecting it is a lot LESS painful than getting shots at the docs office. you inject into fat very few nervs in fat.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It is very frustrating at first. I assume you are on no meds right now, is that right. When you are pregnant they usually want pretty tight bg control. 200 carbs is a lot if you are not on medication or insulin. I would try to get most of your carbs from natural foods like vegetables and fruits. Once you start testing 2 hours after meals you will find which foods really spike you very high. I know with me it is usually processed foods like bread, cereal, crackers and some fruits. I do much better with carbs from sweet potatoes, beans, berries and almost all green veggies. I try to add 2-3 veggies at every meal including breakfast. I have started to make smoothies and throw in tons of healthy foods. Also make sure you include fat into every meal or snack. Fat from nuts, nut butters, cheese, coconut oil and even organic butter will help stabalise bgs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts