The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I get tested tomorrow for type 2 diabetes. My FBS tends to be around 91-110 and if I have a lot of sugars and carbs the night before it has gone as high as 157 (last year) and 127 (June). I am scared to death because I am 6 weeks pregnant. Everywhere I read on the net is birth defects and death for babies of mothers who didn't know they had diabetes. Is anyone out there with experience in this? Is it too late for my baby and I have done damage already? I will do whatever it takes to make this healthy.

Also, I have been testing 2 hours after meals and my sugar is actually less than my fasting sugar. It doesn't make sense to me. I guess I will know in a few days...and in a panic until then.

G

·
Hello everyone. I get tested tomorrow for type 2 diabetes. My FBS tends to be around 91-110 and if I have a lot of sugars and carbs the night before it has gone as high as 157 (last year) and 127 (June). I am scared to death because I am 6 weeks pregnant. Everywhere I read on the net is birth defects and death for babies of mothers who didn't know they had diabetes. Is anyone out there with experience in this? Is it too late for my baby and I have done damage already? I will do whatever it takes to make this healthy.

Also, I have been testing 2 hours after meals and my sugar is actually less than my fasting sugar. It doesn't make sense to me. I guess I will know in a few days...and in a panic until then.
Hello, and welcome to the board.

Read this, it may, or may not ease your mind:

Gestational Diabetes Resource Guide - American Diabetes Association

·
Registered
5 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Up to 10% of women have gestational diabetes, and all pregnant women are screened for it by their obstetrician. If you have it, it will be picked up and treated. 6 weeks is not enough time to cause any signifigant damage to the fetus.

Also, it is not unheard of for blood glucose to spike like that after a carbo load. So try not to worry. Just get as much exercise as you can and try to down on the carbs... that is the best advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Missunderstood try not to panic too much until you find out your test results. Remember, that having diabetes is not necessarily going to harm your baby. If you fact do have diabetes your doctor will be able to monitor your condition while you are pregnant and evaluate your risks. Stay calm and healthy.

Mary

1 - 4 of 4 Posts