The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
But oh well. Does the insulin needs increase or decrease during the colder months or does it generally stay the same?
Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Not sure, but this is the SECOND October that mine seems to be increasing! See other thread on winter phenomenon ...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure, but this is the SECOND October that mine seems to be increasing! See other thread on winter phenomenon ...
Maybe I should learn to search before opening up my big mouth. :doh: Thanks.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Maybe I should learn to search before opening up my big mouth. :doh: Thanks.
Naw ... I do that all the time.

But ... I also googled it, though and there seems to be a consensus among forums, that insulin needs go up when it is cooler! Take a look ... interesting.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Short Communication
Sex- and season-dependent differences in C-peptide levels at diagnosis of immune-mediated type 1 diabetes

Belgian Diabetes Registry, I. Weets, I. Truyen, I. Verschraegen, B. Van der Auwera, J. De Schepper, H. Dorchy, M.-C. Lebrethon, L. Van Gaal and P. Van Rooy, et al.

Abstract
Aims/hypothesis
The incidence of type 1 diabetes varies according to age, sex and season of diagnosis. We investigated whether these and other clinical, biological and anthropometric parameters were correlated with residual beta cell function in newly diagnosed patients, since it is possible that the nature of external and/or genetic disease accelerators may be (partly) reflected in the inaugural disease presentation.
Materials and methods
The correlates of random C-peptide levels sampled shortly after diagnosis (median [interquartile range]: 3 [0–14] days) were studied by multivariate analysis in 1,883 islet-antibody-positive diabetic patients aged <40 years who were diagnosed between 1989 and 2000.
Results
Higher C-peptide levels (above percentile 50 of patients) were associated with older age at diagnosis, female sex, diagnosis in the high-incidence season (October to March), less-decreased BMI (expressed as a standard deviation score), lower insulin requirements after stabilisation, lower prevalence of ketonuria and a less-increased glycaemia at diagnosis (all p<0.001). C-peptide levels were not correlated with calendar year at diagnosis, duration of symptoms prior to diagnosis, HLA-DQ2/DQ8 genotype or islet antibody status.
Conclusions/interpretation
Sex- and season-dependent differences in residual functional beta cell mass and/or insulin resistance have been identified at diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. They may reflect differences in disease-precipitating external or lifestyle factors and should be further investigated longitudinally in prediabetes to further identify putative aetiological factors, which may provide targets for prevention.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Naw ... I do that all the time.

But ... I also googled it, though and there seems to be a consensus among forums, that insulin needs go up when it is cooler! Take a look ... interesting.
That is what I am experiencing. My numbers are not looking as good right now as they were for the last several months.
It surely can't be MY fault. HAHA!!
I was going to google it when I got home and do some more research but I thought I would see if anyone else agreed with me.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
That is what I am experiencing. My numbers are not looking as good right now as they were for the last several months.
It surely can't be MY fault. HAHA!!
I was going to google it when I got home and do some more research but I thought I would see if anyone else agreed with me.
BOTH of the above ... and thanks for asking -- I am only on Levemir, but am about increase my dose, from a whopping 6U up to 8U per night.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
BOTH of the above ... and thanks for asking -- I am only on Levemir, but am about increase my dose, from a whopping 6U up to 8U per night.
Many of the articles I am coming across seem to link insulin resistance and hibernation. And, yep, sure feels like what I am trying to do!

Interesting -- my pre-lunch reading today was 117. I have been reliably in the 80's, until last week!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I never considered that cooler weather had an influence on BG. I've realized that my own basal rates go up, but I've usually had that happen when snow is on the ground here in IL. Ironically it seems that several things in Mother Nature are ahead of schedule this year too - so maybe my erratic BG can be blamed on Mother Nature???

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Well, after reading here and "abroad," I went ahead and upped my meager insulin dose from 6 to 8 U last night -- and I may go a bit higher, even! 33% increase, though ...

This is so interesting as I really blamed it on the flu, last year! Or maybe even a permanent deterioration in my BG.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did not know that..

Well I did not know that cold has effect on the amount of insulin. I am still new and learning a lot.

Thnx

G

·
I would think that in cold climates the body burns more calories in order to keep its core temperature sustained. Burning more calories requires more insulin, otherwise your glucose levels would rise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts