The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps everyone has experienced this in one way or another but here's what I've been going through.

1. Been hungry (as if starving) for seven years. Can't feel full no matter what i eat and the only way i know I'm full is if my stomach hurts.

2. Been thirsty (as if I'm totally dehydrated) for the seven years. Can't quench thirst no matter how much water i drink even if i fill my stomach up with water (which happens at certain intervals where the thirst becomes unbearable) this is the norm even during controlled periods.

3. No sensation in my feet other than pressure. The only time i feel pain is when the damage to the foot stimulates deep tissue other than that nothing.

4. Massive headaches after hypoglycemic episodes that cause me to pass out.

5. Recently my urine smells of rotten boiled eggs.

6. Recently my heart rate has been tachycardic. It stays at the 110 - 125 level and I've been hypertensive at sporadic intervals.

7. Insulin effectiveness has decreased and has become variant. What works today won't work tomorrow.

i modified my diet :)

Better bg levels but no change in problems.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
You said elsewhere that you eat 75 carbs/meal, and that complex carbs are good.

As an experiment - why not try restricting your complex carbs (except for veggies) and replacing with healthy fats, and see what happens? It has worked for many of us - and is worth a shot ...

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
First what are you considering good BG numbers. Normal is between 70-120, anything over 140 your still causing damage which makes it really difficult to heal anything.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm on a lchf diet really actually its a high protein diet low carb. I put in roughly 50 carbs a day but to little effect on my overall symptoms.

And yes but all i get from the va is oh....it'll pass...

Reactions: Monica

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First what are you considering good BG numbers. Normal is between 70-120, anything over 140 your still causing damage which makes it really difficult to heal anything.
110 - 150 does well for me.

I shot for a lower range a few times and bottomed out horroribly

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also better means I'm not reading out at 500 -675 like i have for months.

250 is the rough average I've been at lately.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Okay - on 4/28 you said you kept your carbs at a meal to 75, so that says you've been on your 50/day regimen < 1 week. I don't recall how long it took me to feel results from slashing carbs, but it's not always immediate ...

Hang in there!

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mostly do chef salads with boiled egg whites with ham and turkey bacon.

Also meal replace with a shakeology shake designed for more effective glucose control.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
You really need to consider raising your natural fat consumption and lowering your protein some. Protein in excess will be made into glucose, glycogen, fat. Try to eat whole natural foods, noting processed or made to taste like something else. Shakeology, not familiar with that at all but it doesn't sound to natural to me.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Justin? Your symptoms aren't going to subside until you get your blood sugar under 140 mg/dl, and that will require some serious carb slashing. I just checked the chocolate shakeology shake and the carb content comes darn near my entire daily quota. You aren't going to get control drinking these high-priced products. You may as well be buying Starbucks - same price & same effect - except that Starbucks doesn't claim to control your blood sugar.

How often do you test? You'll need to test a lot moving into lchf, because your insulin needs will drop as you eat fewer carbs. Make sure you get enough fat to offset the reduced carbs, and you'll feel better for doing so. Your salads are a good start, and there are scads of other hearty meals that will fill you up & lower your blood sugar; pile a bunch of bacon on those salads & see how you like it! Yes, bacon - all you can eat. Watch your salad dressings - sweet dressings can be loaded with carbs. Creamy high-fat dressing are ideal - full-fat mayonnaise & full-fat sour cream with seasonings of your choice make marvelous dressings.

High protein can raise blood sugar too . . . any protein that isn't used for maintenance & repair of our bodies eventually converts to glucose, and there we go again - high blood sugar.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Just looked up shakeology - and the nutritional info says it's 25 carbs/scoop and only 2g fat. I agree with MCS about upping the fat and scaling back a bit on the protein.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is where my source of carbs come from. Other than that its either hf or hp for meals.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Your body doesn't need carbs - carbohydrate is not an essential nutrient. Fat and protein are essential nutrients, so determine your protein needs, and then fill the rest of your meals with fats; butter, bacon, heavy cream, sour cream, as much as you can eat. You'll feel better than you have in years.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Good job on cutting down so far!

It might still better to space out your carbs and use veggies as your source of carbs as much as possible.

So instead of getting them all from 1 shake a day, better to have 0-6 at breakfast, 12 at lunch and 12 at dinner (as an example).

And high fat will give you the calories you need as well as the fuel source for your workouts.

Definitely it will take some time to work things out. As others have said, the closer you can get to normal blood sugars, the better ofr healing. And healing will take a while. Some things might take a year or 2 to heal.
Dr. B is very strict, but he tries to control BG to ~ 90 for his type 1s.

Keep at it!

And recommending Dr. B's Diabetes solution again, as well as the other books recommended.

·
Banned
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Your body doesn't need carbs - carbohydrate is not an essential nutrient. Fat and protein are essential nutrients, so determine your protein needs, and then fill the rest of your meals with fats; butter, bacon, heavy cream, sour cream, as much as you can eat. You'll feel better than you have in years.
98 - 164 grams of protein / day is what it said.

What about cholesterol though?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
From my own personal experience, that of my own husband and many others here at DF, the low-carb/high-fat way-of-eating regulates our cholesterol in the best possible way. One of our exceptionally successful members adopted this plan even after he suffered a cardiac event and had two stents installed. His cholesterol is now actually lower than the standard range.

All the propaganda about fats being bad was a hoax from the get-go, and the lie persists. Obviously there are fats to avoid like trans fats, hydrogenated fats, and polyunsaturated fats, but stick with natural saturated fats (dairy, meat/fish/poultry) and monounsaturated fats (nuts, olives, avocados, etc) and you'll be home free.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Here is an excerpt from Dr. B's book on what to expect form near normal BG.

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site

SOme things recolve quicker than others, but you will ahve a better idea of what to expect.

Also he did mention in his book that for some who's BG numbers have been very high, he has them go down a bit slower, so that their body gets used to the New Normal. If your body has been used to high numbers it might feel like it needs sugar NOW at near normal numbers and you can feel weak and shaky.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I had a quadruple by pass some 3.5yrs ago, been eating less than 30g of carbs a day ever since. My total cholesterol is now in the 150's, trigs in the 30's. Eat as much natural fat as you can stomach and cut out the carbs except those of which are found in veggie that grow above the ground. Excluding beans, they can be pretty carby little demons.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts