Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, but I'm pretty skeptical of trying to make associations of any study trying to compare rats/mice to humans.
Nope, mice aren't human, though we do share a lot (majority) of the same genes. But due to considerable prejudice (in some circles) against starting rigorous toxicity experiments with humans, that's where toxicity experiments (even new ones, like these) mostly start.

Some folks do worry a bit about putting products on the market after only limited mouse or rat studies (maybe paid for by financially interested parties), which suggest there's a low probability that the product / chemical / snipped-in gene doesn't hurt the meeses, so it must be ok for humans. That's the most common route for food additives / supplements. And sometimes products just start being sold widely. Then we get to wait decades for epidemiologists & others to figure out whether the uncontrolled "study" of ingesting this or that chemical might be harmful to humans.

No perfect system. Pay your choice & take your chances.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My previous response wasn't clear, I know. Sorry. :eek: I tried to edit it took too long & I couldn't.

The point: Studies using rodents are also used to justify likely NON-toxicity of various food substances/supplements (in mice or rats) so they can be sold to people. I think skepticism of the mice=human equation should be applied to findings (in rodents) of both non-toxicity and toxicity (to humans).

Practically, we can simply keep doing what we every day -- ingest what we want, when we want, when we can afford it ...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
When it comes to studies, they are so contradictory... one week coffee or salt will kill you, the next it is good for you. I mean look at all the years of study that shows saturated fat is bad for us.

Seems to me that they make the research say what they want it to say because if they determine that a certain food is good for you, the research has to stop and the grants stop. Plus I'm with David and don't put much stock in research that involves rodents.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
If we take this article as truth, the new "safe level" for rats is 1.1mg/kg/day. Let's see, for a 200lb person that would be 90kg, or 99mg of Splenda per day. One packet of Splenda contains 12mg actual Splenda. Or about 8 packets of Splenda.

That's still reasonable for most people's intake, I'd think. If you're drinking more than 8 cups of Spenda-sweetened anything per day, it might be time to reconsider and switch to water for some of those anyway. Everything in moderation.

Any site that has articles like "8 more reasons I haven't vaccinated my daughter" is not likely to have sound scientific articles on it anyway, my two cents.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Most of the folk who have been on the forum for more than about ten minutes know that I have a pathological aversion to sugar substitutes of any type.

Therefore logically, I should welcome this as a vindication of my views. Wrong! Long before we discuss the appropriateness of rodent research to humans we need to establish first the identity of the funding source for the study. Anything of this nature is pandering to a vested interest and unlike mine which is entirely personal, there's a financial element involved. One of J&J's competitors in the market perchance? :rolleyes:

But until that vested interest is clearly identified and their objectivity established, I support the reservations of most of the other posters.

Definitely requires a pinch of salt rather than sweeteners. :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I read the research at one of the links in the article, and if I am understanding it correctly, dioxin is only released when Splenda is combined with rust, then heated to certain temperatures.

My conclusion from this research would be if you use Splenda, don't use rusty bakeware or utensils.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I wonder if anyone has done a study about the effects of a diet high in mouse food on humans.
Well, they've certainly done a lot on the effects of human (franken) foods on mice! Like Crisco and sugar. Nearly all mouse testing of "high-fat" diet are really that.

Reactions: Daytona
1 - 15 of 15 Posts