The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use the One Touch Ultra 2 and for the past several days it's been anything but one touch. I make sure I press my blood forward, I go to the side to get my sample. Usually I use 4 and that's worked fine but today when I got to the 8th attempt I had the needle set at 7.

It's frustrating to waste so many strips when just 2 weeks ago I would come from bed, take a test, get on the first try. I've been doing this 3 months now. Any idea why I might be having issues getting blood?

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Possibilities....

Your hands could be cold - I can never get enough blood from cold hands

You need to put in a new lancet - I don't change them but every few months, so if they are getting dull, I have to dial up the lancing device

Suggestion: you should know by sight now how large of drop of blood you need, so if it doesn't look large enough, try sticking another spot to get a larger sample of blood and only use a strip on a large enough drop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Possibilities....

Your hands could be cold - I can never get enough blood from cold hands

You need to put in a new lancet - I don't change them but every few months, so if they are getting dull, I have to dial up the lancing device

Suggestion: you should know by sight now how large of drop of blood you need, so if it doesn't look large enough, try sticking another spot to get a larger sample of blood and only use a strip on a large enough drop.
I change the lance daily, but the warm hands......I usually rub my finger with alcohol and I agree, I know when I've made a good puncture. Thanks for your response.

·
Registered
394 Posts
One of the challenges to getting the same flow of blood through the same size hole on each test is blood viscosity. Lancet numbers are set for depths...not lancet width. Going deeper into your finger doesn't necessarily mean you'll get blood easier. Blood viscosity has to do with hydration. The more hydrated you are...the thinner, or less viscose your blood becomes.

Try drinking a glass of water next time about an hour before your test...see how that does. Also...if it's hard to get blood from where you puncture your skin...don't squeeze harder. All that will do is introduce interstitial fluids into the blood droplet that could alter your test value.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of the challenges to getting the same flow of blood through the same size hole on each test is blood viscosity. Lancet numbers are set for depths...not lancet width. Going deeper into your finger doesn't necessarily mean you'll get blood easier. Blood viscosity has to do with hydration. The more hydrated you are...the thinner, or less viscose your blood becomes.

Try drinking a glass of water next time about an hour before your test...see how that does. Also...if it's hard to get blood from where you puncture your skin...don't squeeze harder. All that will do is introduce interstitial fluids into the blood droplet that could alter your test value.
Interesting thought, I do not drink anything before testing. And usually I am thirsty.

Usually when I see a good flow I just let it happen. What you told me about pressing could explain why I see a 194 reading, then I retest, new needle and its around 135 (better blood flow). Thank you for your info.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I think that alcohol can eventually toughen the skin. Most just wash with warm water and soap and dry well with a towel.
That's really a myth spread by ignorance. In order for your fingers, the grooves in your fingerprints, to work right...they have to be oiled and somewhat moist. And they're really, really good at doing that. Here, if you wanna take that for a test-drive...do this:

Get out a small mirror and a magnifying glass. With a bottle of 91% alcohol...take a paper towel, not toilet paper or Kleenex; soak part of the paper towel in alcohol. Now, rub the end of your finger hard with the paper towel...until your hear it squeak. Hence the term "squeaky clean". Now, wait about a minute and press that fingertip onto the mirror. Take your magnifying glass and look at where you pressed your finger. That's called a fingerprint. It's produced by the oils and fluids in your finger.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh, I think that it is also a reason. Remember to keep your hand warm by wearing gloves, or else, washing your hand by warm water.
Warm water can be good for transfering blood

1 - 8 of 8 Posts