The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone

Well my new low carb low fat diet is working wonderfully. I'm getting my lowest scores ever !!!! How exciting :)

I am running into a problem with exercise though. I thought that since my BSLs had lowered so much that I would add some walking in but it sends my BSLs sky high for the next 3-4 hours.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

G

·
Hi :D it's probably a case that you're dropping too low when you're exercising and you are getting your liver dumping glucose. It's probably a good idea to eat a low GI carb before exercise to make sure you have enough energy to do it. Walking is a cardio exercise so you generally are using a bit of energy. Take some quick acting carbs with you to avoid going low. I'm not sure if there is any other explanation to what is happening? Others here may have more experience with it. I know for me even shopping gives me hypos... so I have to carry food with me at all times.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad you started this thread. I am having trouble, too, with my blood sugar going up after exercising. Soooo frustrating, I thought exercise was supposed to help! The only time I have to exercise is first thing in the morning, before my toddler wakes up. I have been going without eating first, because when I eat, I get nauseous. Not sure how to handle it, I know that exercise is so important, it's what is helping the weight come off, but keeping my bgls low is important, too. Which is more important????

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have been dealing with this the last 4 years. With intense aerobic exercise like kick boxing I would spike to over 200+. Even a power yoga class spiked me to 180. I have finally got the spikes down to 20-40 points. But exercise never lowers my bg like some others. I have tried everything. I have tried carbs, protein before exericise. Now I just accept it. I will stay high for about 2 hours and then drop. Some feel the only way to control this is with insulin.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not a freak!!!!!!! Yaaaayyyyyyy.....

Looks like I may just have to chalk this up to 'everyone with diabetes responds differently".

Does anyone know if the high blood sugar level is as damaging to our body as if we ate a food which spiked us ?? Does that make sense

PS Thanks for the replies :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MICH

I definitely hear ya! It's almost like the lesser of 2 evils sometimes isn't it?? *sigh*

·
Registered
344 Posts
I will drink a Whey Protein Shake before and after working out. During work out if an intensive one I will eat carbs such as Shot Bloks every half hour or so. This has helped me tremendously but results will vary with every different person. I had to carry my test kit with me on my bike to find a happy medium. And now that I have lost so much weight from working out I am finding I have to make changes to it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
so i have been struggeling with this also. since i have been diagnosed as type 2 i have been trying to ride my bike about 5 miles every other day. the first day that i did this i checked my BG right before and i was 116 after i was a 72, i thought this was such a great way to lower my BG. i had never seen a BG below 98.
but since then my numbers have changed. I will start with an average bg around 105 and when i get back from my bike ride i am up over 120 and climbing.
Yesterday i was training perty hard for an old fat man. i rode my bike 7.1 miles with a 12.2mph aveage wish a couple of good hill climbs. this was the longest and hardest rides that i have done so far. about the last half mile i was getting a little winded and light headed, but i knew i was near the end. i thought the light headedness was due to being a little hypo because of the hard exercise. when i got back to my office to check my BG i was over 130 and climbing. i was hoping to counter the possiblity of liver dump so about an hour before i rode i had some tuna with ritz crackers. i figured the tuna would give me the portien and the crackers would be providing some extra carbs while i was riding. but still this didnt help.

so the big question that mich had before. if exercise is making my bg go up, what do we do. not exercise and keep the BG lower but we are in poor shape. or exercise and lose weight?

·
Registered
118 Posts
You need to get some carb' s in you before exercising. I had a granola bar before my 25 KM ride this morning my pre ride BG e
Was 5.4 and post was 5.2. The problem is if you do not eat any carbs before exercising so no liver dumps occurs.

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The liver dump will ALWAYS happen when blood glucose gets low, if you 1) have a functioning liver; and 2) have glycogen reserves.

But that being said, it will also happen if your level of intensity is enough to prompt a "fight or flight" response in the body, where hormones 'ramp up' causing the increased release of glucose (higher than your normal liver dump) in order to "run away" from whatever threat might exist. (Or so your body thinks).

The key to the first is to have some carbohydrate in your pre-exercise meal, but you'll have to watch amounts and timing of it to ensure that you start exercise before it spikes unacceptably high, and you may need to continue to intake some carbohydrate every 1/2 hour or so during exercise if you plan on going longer than the meal will give you energy for...

The key to the second (the body's 'fight-or-flight' mechanism kicking in) is either 1) reduce the intensity; or 2) increase the frequency. Reducing the intensity will still allow for the benefits of the exercise (especially if you offset by increasing the duration) and increasing the frequency gets the body "used to" the activity your doing.

When I first started cycling, especially as I increased the intensity, my BG's would spike higher than I wanted also... Now that my body is "used to" that activity, the liver dump I experience is only enough to 'feed me' for the activity I'm doing.

Now that I cycle regularly, I rarely dump higher than about 7.0 (126) during even very-intense exercise. I'll literally burn from a 7.0 (126) down to about a 4.0 (72) with 7 or 8 minutes of intense exercise, then I dump back up to around a 7.0 and the cycle continues.

Hopefully you experience the same over time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
i have been working on countering this LD issue while exercising too. so i took the advice of those here about eating some carbs before going on my bike ride. before i went on my ride i was a 126, higher then normal but that is what i was. i ate a small muffin. cranberry/orange, oh how i miss carbs some days. i went on a brisk bike ride several good hills after 30 min i was back in my office and my BG was 104. i like this result better then before. i will have to get some granola bars or somethig so i have them before my bike rides.

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 12 of 12 Posts