The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had excellent control over the last few months. I realize it's always a work in progress. You just can't stop working hard at it.

With that said... I was under the impression I'd be less prone to infections with excellent control of my blood glucose. When I started a simple stupid cold about 10 days ago, I thought it would be history in a matter of days. Wrong.

I have a sinus infection and bronchitis....! I am really upset. And my numbers haven't been all over the place that much. Just a few spikes and a few fasting numbers up in the curtains but overall I must say blood glucose was mostly under 6 (108) all the time I've been sick. A first for me because when sick I am never under 12 (216) usually. So why on earth am I this sick and have to battle against 2 stupid infections??!? And just because of a stupid stupid stupiiiid cold.

Sorry. Rant over. :sorry:

Are we, as diabetics, good control or not, prone to infections and complications all the time, whether we look after ourselves or not? :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well, your present BG levels are proof that having good control contributes SOMEthing to the battle. I'm just not sure there's ANYthing that protects us against the common cold. It's a virus, for one thing, and my experience is that about the only defense is don't get exposed - which is next to impossible except for hermits like me & my better half.

Before I retired from the work force, I had at least one bad cold every winter, which ultimately accrued a secondary infection - bronchitis - which sometimes I could shake off on my own, but other times required antibiotics. I am forever grateful that I've never been subject to sinus infections, which must be the ickiest of the lot. I was also bedeviled by cellulitis in those years, and I've not had a case of it since gaining control.

I do think good control helps us resist infections, and the longer we can maintain good control, as well as avoid contagion, the stronger our resistance. But I know you feel rotten this week, and it's easy to surmise that it doesn't work after all. (((Scarlet)))

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Ever since I got diabetes, I seem to be more prone to colds, sinus infections, etc. My bg control is pretty good but colds seem to linger on forever.

Reactions: Scarlet Phantom

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I don't believe being a diabetic in good control makes you more prone to viruses such as the common cold or the flu. I do know that I had a systemic yeast infection for 1-1/2 yrs that was absolutely horrible, and I could not get rid of it because my bg's were out of control at that time. I finally got better control of my bg's (not "normal" though) and was treated for 3 months on a anti-fungal antibiotic and it finally kicked it out of my system. I don't EVER want to go through that again. I have found that I will catch the "flavor" of the day (meaning whatever flu might be around or cold virus) just as often as a "normal" person will. So I don't think being diabetic makes me more susceptible to it. But, do keep in mind that diabetics are considered auto-immune deficient. So, taking some probiotics or vitamins may help the fight against these maladies, but I don't think it prevents them from happening. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much Shanny!

I can't even imagine in what state I would be in if I wasn't enjoying very good control at the moment.

I have to admit, maybe I felt a bit 'invincible' since enjoying good control and numbers. Truth be told; I am not. I am slowly realizing that. That's what is upsetting me the most I think.

I'm the kind of person who does 17 things at once, and always works hard, puts in lots of hours. It is a very humbling experience let me tell you.

I seldom am sick. I'm the one who usually looks after everybody else, coughing, puking, diarrhea, you name it, and I don't catch anything. When I do catch something, once in a blue moon, it's never simple it seems and ends up in some kind of complication. I am so resentful at the moment.

I should be thankful I have a bit of time to browse all the delicious low carb recipes this site offers and plan the ones I'll make once I bounce back :eek:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops! Just saw your posts. Thank you so much! It helps reading from others, what they experience, etc.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
My experience has been quite the opposite. Prior to diagnosis and during the "ADA" period when control was very bad (luckily, only a few weeks), I did notice that all kinds of infections both systemic like colds and local like minor cuts and scrapes took FOREVER to heal. Also colds, coughs and the like were nearly constant. One barely finished and another was on the say.

After adopting LC/HF and getting all normal BG readings, I noticed quite the opposite and that continues until today. Minor cuts heal like when I was 10 and I very rarely get any kind of colds or other infections. Any kind of stomach or digestive problems are nothing but a distant memory. When my whole family gets something whether a cold or "stomach flu" or whatever I either don't get it at all or just for a very brief time, much shorter and milder than everyone else.

Just another reason I'm loving this life!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I had a lot of low level infections (mainly urinary tract) prior to getting my blood sugar under control, but I have been symptom free for 2 months now

I think the little critters enjoyed munching on the syrup that was in my veins at the time :sad:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oddly, I pretty much never get seriously ill, but any little cut WILL get infected, and any infection WILL require antibiotics to clear up.

These past couple of months my blood sugars have been much better than usual and I've had cold upon nausea upon sore throat upon everything else.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I`m not sure how it is with type 2, but with type 1 there is antibodies in our system which makes us much more vulnerable to get infections and virusattack. Thats what I`ve been told by the doctors.
If there are antibodies in the system our immunesystem will be busy with this, and it will not be so good to stop invations of virus or infections.

·
Banned
67 Posts
Scarlet,
I unerstand UTIs used to be a little thing, no more.
Upper respiratory infections that take others a few days to get over take me 4 weeks or longer. 4 to 6 courses of antibiotics etc. I am currently not near my family doctors. i have currently been down for 4 weeks. I no longer have the strength to drive to another doctor. Even the local ER was worthless. I am speech impaired, I had to go through 6 people before one would slow down and listen to what has been happening over the past 4 weeks. I tried writing notes, but they did not pass the notes along with me as I moved thru their er system.Some, including the doctor stayed 30 seconds and walked out. Thirty minutes later a woman came in and as I attempted to answer her first question she walked out. One doctor even told me, they could not deal with someone like me today, I would have to come back another day. After 4 courses of antibiotics I am sicker that 5 weeks ago. What do I do now?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What do I do now?
I'm so sorry you are very sick and have been for a while :(

I was always told it's always a good idea to go to the doctor's or to the hospital with someone you trust. A loved one, a family member, or a good friend you trust. Often we're too sick, or in pain to talk about medical issues (or too sick to fight to get the care!) so it is a really good idea to go with someone who will speak in your name, and make sure you do get the medical attention you need. Someone who knows you well and can ask questions on your behalf. Or demand answers.

Would you be able to find someone you trust and try again? Please don't give up. You sound like you are in really bad shape. Your health is important! Just don't give up.

One time I didn't agree with the care I was receiving ---what am I saying??! The care I was not receiving!!! And told the doctor : 'I am not leaving your office until you send me for a scan!' ... And I didn't. The doctor had to send me for a scan to get rid of me :D And the doctor said : 'It will be a waste of time and energy!' ... and that scan actually saved my life.

Find someone to go with you.

Take good care! Keep us posted.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't know about infections but I do know (for me) the better my blood sugar control the less likely I am to have a prolonged infection...and I'm speaking about skin infections here...I have eczema and psoriasis and and and so it is actually a good indicator for me as to my control...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
it is actually a good indicator for me as to my control...
For me, my gums are a good indicator. They start bleeding when I floss. When BG is under control, absolutely no bleeding when I floss. Strange, isn't it?

I guess I was REALLY upset having to battle a bad sinus infection and bronchitis on top of it. I really thought having excellent BG control (and for a long while too!) would actually spare me completely from any type of infection. Live and learn! Even non diabetics can become quite sick at times. My son had pneumonia not too long ago and my! Was he ever sick.

I am still working hard at my numbers. I finish my antibiotics Wednesday :)

·
Banned
67 Posts
Thaks Scarlet, I have had pnuemonia for 4-5 weeks now. They keep treating it like a slight case, that a normal person might have. I am spech imparied, so they will not take the time to listen to the facts. One doc came in and said they do not do insulins today, I would have to come back another day. My complaint had nothing to do with diabetes. I did not leave, finally they did an chest xray and told me I had pneumonia. The pain in my back will not longer let me sleep.
take a trusted person with, to the doc; great idea. I am 1200 miles from any family and friends, at this time, attending a clinical trial for diabetes. The trial is working, bu the infection is not helping things.
Take Care

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
D4Hope...I would be threatening that ER with a law suit for substandard of care! What kind of hospital are you going to? You live in PA....not like you live in a third world country for gosh sakes! You need to get to a pulminologist immediately! My sister had pneumonia and had quite a bit of difficulty ridding it from her system. She is not diabetic, and it took her a good year to get completely over it. She is still quite prone to respiratory infections, so she is very careful. Do not mess around with this D4Hope! You are a diabetic, and whether you have great control of bg's or not, your auto-immune system is still considered compromised. You need to insist on treatment from these idiots who call themselves healthcare professionals!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thaks Scarlet, I have had pnuemonia for 4-5 weeks now. They keep treating it like a slight case, that a normal person might have. I am spech imparied, so they will not take the time to listen to the facts. One doc came in and said they do not do insulins today, I would have to come back another day. My complaint had nothing to do with diabetes. I did not leave, finally they did an chest xray and told me I had pneumonia. The pain in my back will not longer let me sleep.
take a trusted person with, to the doc; great idea. I am 1200 miles from any family and friends, at this time, attending a clinical trial for diabetes. The trial is working, bu the infection is not helping things.
Take Care
where in PA are you? Hell, I'll come there and take you to the ER and insist on treatment!

·
Banned
67 Posts
True, I live in PA. Currently I am in a third world country, Mississippi.
After a year here, I truely appreciate our healthcare in PA.

·
Registered
58 Posts
D4Hope,

Sorry to hear this. So shameful to be treated that way. I have a strong dis-like for arrogance in people and bullies.:mad:

FWIW...

It's beyond time for you to stand your ground.:boxing: Speech impaired or not, you must make them listen. They are there for you. Not you for them.

Carry with you a pad and red sharpie to write what you have to say, bring a loud whistle or an air horn to keep grabbing their attention (well maybe not those noise makers' :eek:) But a bell at least. Enough to be a squeaky wheel if needed.

If they keep ignoring you, let them know you'll be lodging formal complaints with the clinic and ethical complaints with the state examiners board.

Also tell them you will file complaints with the ADA for them not having a "translator" or "skilled speech helper" on staff to assist you with accurately describing what symptoms your having.. Instead of choosing to brush you off as they would a pesky fly.

Get real, get focused,and be very poignant with them. Don't get emotional.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Prior to my diagnosis, I had always suffered from wicked sinus infections. To the point where I went under the knife 5 times. To fix the broken nose issues, remove the polyps and trim the turbinate's.

Because I suffered from allergies the polyps would return cause blockage and stimulate horrendous infections. I'd be mouth breathing for months on end.

Finally I went to long term allergy treatment "injections" and that has been the life saver for me. No more polyps and no more sinus infections..

Before I was diagnosed type 2 I started regularly getting deep cysts of which had to be treated surgically I've been through Saddle blocks, regular anesthesia.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why and the frequency they would come. I've spent a lifetime (1965) studying the martial arts and rolling on the mats training with others. I've always been meticulous with proper hygene and cleanliness To avoid Impetigo, MRSA, Staph

Once I was diagnosed with Type 2 and started controlling BG the cysts have never returned. So obviously there is a correlation there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts