The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the mechanics of the LC/HF diet and insulin dosage.

As background, I am Type 1 taking Lantus for Basil and Humulin R for Bolus. Last week I did some work on my Basil dosage, and I believe I have it set now, so that when I do not eat bg stays level.

I am seeing an interesting phenomon occur when I eat a high fat breakfast with nearly no carbs. I get a bg spike that I have to compensate for with Bolus insulin. This morning I ate an egg with cheese, sausage, and coffee with 1 tblspn of coconut oil (1 carb - in the american cheese). Since I took no bolus insulin for nearly the same breakfast yesterday and saw a 90 point spike, I took 4 units this morning, but still saw a rise of 35 points 1 hour after. My fasting readings were about 100 both days. I generally take about 1 Unit of insulin for every 5 carbs. I will have to check in couple of hours before lunch, because I think the 4 units may have been too much? But I am surprised that such a breakfast would cause much of a bg impact?

Does anyone have any ideas of what is going on? Do I need to figure some rate of Bolus insulin coverage for fat/protein also? Fats would be pretty hard to figure - I have never had to really count them and have no experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I eat med fat lo carb but I have found out that fat does make my bg rise but it is a lot better than a lot of carbs. You have to have some fuel. My hometown elderly doc is a diabetic and in great shape. He warned me the fat would affect my levels. The liver still converts fats into sugars but does not make a big a spike as carbs. My internal med doc justs tells me to keep bg below 140 but doesnt really say how. I take 28 units of Lantus at night.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Daytona. I think that link explains it. Due to having to fast a couple of days last week to set my basil rate, I have probably gone into Ketogenisis, which evidently is the trigger for fat to be turned into glucose. It explains why high fat diets can supply the energy you need. The body will do this only as a last resort, when there are no carbs available. Sounds pretty tricky to stay in the place that I have found myself. I guess I have a lot more to learn about this.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
It really isn't that tricky, frankly. I've been in it for about 18 months now...some days moreso than others, but I test now and then to be sure. It is easy to get out of tho', so you do have to keep your carbs low to do it. I try not to ever eat more than 30...that seems to be the point for me. We all differ, so I suppose you have to learn where yours is.

Good luck,

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input....perhaps some of this info will help my wife stop worrying about all the carbs I am not eating, but need to eat to keep up my energy level. :argue:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Thanks for the input....perhaps some of this info will help my wife stop worrying about all the carbs I am not eating, but need to eat to keep up my energy level. :argue:
Hmmmm, glad I clicked on this thread. I seem to have that same problem occur, and I'm not even eating the amount of fat in the morning! I will eat one or two string cheeses, and get a raise in bg's after I've bolused! I don't understand that when the cheese (each) has less than 1 gram of carb! The frustration just never ends!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Why are you looking at the fat and not the protein? Isn't protein a more likely suspect as the source of the glucose? We all know that happens and it is common.

I've been trying to determine for a long time if dietary fat has any metabolic pathway to glucose and I'm still not sure. Some insist that it does not. In any case, ketogenesis is NOT where fat gets turned into glucose. Quite the contrary it is the state where fats get converted into KETONES, hence the name. Ketones are a direct energy source for cells (95% of them, anyway) as a replacement for glucose, not as glucose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts