The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am relatively new to diabetes ( Feb 09) and got an Ipod Touch to help me keep records - using Diabetes Pilot software on the Ipod and on my PC. I am fairly satisfied with the software ( wish it were synchronized between the two machines) but have a question about one of its calculations. The program will calculate the amount of insulin needed after a meal if you put in your food data. It uses the number of grams of carbs eaten minus the fiber divided by 15 - which I understand - one unit of insulin counteracts 15 grams of carbs eaten. BUT is also includes a factor for protein eaten - grams of protein divided by 7. I do not understand the factor for protein! I recently read that the liver changes amino acids from digested proteins to sugar - is this the reason for this factor in the calculation? I find that my relatively low carb eating ( I am not fanatic about this) often means that the protein I eat impacts the amount of insulin I require more than the carbs I eat! I know that there are a lot of factors in figuring the amount of insulin required but no one ever clued me in that the protein figured so highly? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I do not include the protein in determining my insulin dosages. I do not eat a lot of meat and if I did, I suppose I should start considering the protein factor. Sometimes I eat more protein than usual, like when we have a turkey for Thanksgiving. The extra protein hits me a few hours after my meal so I do a correction bolus of insulin at that time. that works very well for me. I test every two hours so I do not go very high before I test and correct, as needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts