The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the nerds among us, an interesting study that provides clues about a possible reason that obesity doesn't always lead to type 2 diabetes or 'metabolic disorder'. In mice, manipulating the protein mitoNEET resulted in metabolic disorder -- or not -- independent of obesity. If this work proves out, it could lead to a new approach to diabetes treatment. However, that's doubtless a long way in the future.
Novel role for protein linked to obesity and development of type 2 diabetes identified

Reactions: MCS

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Sems to me your feeding the disease, allowing your body to store more and more fat.

·
Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
If this leads to a cure, I'm going to be wishing I were an obese diabetic mouse.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no worries

I wouldn't worry too much about "obesity OR diabetes" quite yet as there's a long way to go to anything vaguely clinical. This is classic basic research - the authors manipulated just the one protein, to learn what it might be doing metabolically. That's why I flagged it with the 'for nerds' statement - I like seeing what basic researchers are up to, while knowing the limitations (I was One Of Them once upon a time). :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts