The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've been insulin dependent for 44 years. I'll be 60 in a couple of weeks and looking forward to enjoying my "golden years". Does anybody have any idea if Medicare/Medicare supplement cover Insulin pumps and supplies? Also, does anybody have any idea if Medicare/Medicare supplement cover Continuous Glucose Monitors and supplies? Or should I just keep working until I drop?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Jim

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As a Type 1, you probably will get them covered. I know they cover insulin for a pump . Type 2's on insulin pumps may have a harder fight. I'll be eligible in a little over 3 years and am trying to figure out what type of plan or supplemental I will need to cover my diabetic needs.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Medicare may cover the insulin, it may not cover other supplies which can run into hundreds of dollars besides. A good supplementary policy might stand in the gap - so far we've been lucky that ours picks up everything Medicare hasn't paid, but as usual - you pays your money & takes your chances.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hi,

I've been insulin dependent for 44 years. I'll be 60 in a couple of weeks and looking forward to enjoying my "golden years". Does anybody have any idea if Medicare/Medicare supplement cover Insulin pumps and supplies? Also, does anybody have any idea if Medicare/Medicare supplement cover Continuous Glucose Monitors and supplies? Or should I just keep working until I drop?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Jim
Medicare/Medicare supplement does cover pump, the insulin that goes into the pump and most of the supplies. When billing Medicare for the insulin used in a pump, your provider must bill Medicare Part B or you will end up paying a hefty co-pay. I was on Medicare for over a year before I discovered this fact. It is written in Medicare.gov, so it would be wise for you to give that website a thorough reading. You also need a good Medicare supplement policy.

What Medicare does NOT cover is the CGMS unless they see fit to do so in the next few years. I use a Dexcom CGM because of hypo-unawareness and the entire cost for that system is an out of pocket expense for me.

Hope we have helped you some, and Welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Medicare/Medicare supplement does cover pump, the insulin that goes into the pump and most of the supplies. When billing Medicare for the insulin used in a pump, your provider must bill Medicare Part B or you will end up paying a hefty co-pay. I was on Medicare for over a year before I discovered this fact. It is written in Medicare.gov, so it would be wise for you to give that website a thorough reading. You also need a good Medicare supplement policy.

What Medicare does NOT cover is the CGMS unless they see fit to do so in the next few years. I use a Dexcom CGM because of hypo-unawareness and the entire cost for that system is an out of pocket expense for me.

Hope we have helped you some, and Welcome to the forum :)
Thanks for all of the information and advice. Because I get my pump and CGM + supplies from them, I did ask Edgepark's billing office about coverage for them and was told that neither Medicare nor the supplements covered anything. Hence my question to this forum.

Jim

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thanks for all of the information and advice. Because I get my pump and CGM + supplies from them, I did ask Edgepark's billing office about coverage for them and was told that neither Medicare nor the supplements covered anything. Hence my question to this forum.

Jim
Again, I have no experience wih Edgepark, but I can tell you I got my pump and infusion sets, reservoirs and test strips from Medtronics. The insulin for the pump comes from Prescription Solutions. Sometimes having to 'jump through hoops' gets to be a big pain in the arse, but when you consider that insulin is about $150 a vial from Walgreen's (minimum) ...... then I can afford to make a few phone calls to check up on where is my insulin and why wasn't it sent out yet. Once I got my order situated with PS, my shipments of insulin have been very good.

I'm sorry you've been given erroneous information by Edgepark. Whomever told you that is full of more than just "hot air".:rolleyes:

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 7 of 7 Posts