·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a lovely custard last night:

Mix in a blender:
6 large eggs
1 can coconut cream
juice of 1 - 2 limes plus grated peel (green only) of one)
1/3 c vanilla splenda syrup (Torani)
2 TBS erythritol

Bake at 300 for one hour, covered if you like it pale, or open, to brown.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have looked for coconut cream in my normal grocery store and have been unable to find it. Do you buy it at a specialty store? Recipe sounds great.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Not Coco Lopez coconut cream then? What's the maker/label?

·
Registered
718 Posts
You are my hero!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:)

There is a version on a Paleo blog .... I adjusted it a bit and subbed artificial sweeteners for the honey they used. I had a ton of limes, and needed to use them! I may in fact have to EXPERIMENT some more, this week!

Change the proportons (more juice and peel) and make an almond crust, and make a key lime custard pie or something.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I adore lime AND coconut... and what better than to combine them! Almond crust sounds good too... mmmm.... going to have to do some baking this weekend!

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My mouth is drooling for Key Lime Pie. I have to find that Coconut Cream.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ate this for breakfast, this morning, after it had been refrigerated, and it was EVEN BETTER!

I might make smaller portions in custard tins or muffin cups and keep eating them!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Ha! - closing in on this coconut cream bizness.

Found a tiny, I mean tiny as in 6 shelves tiny, Asian grocer and he had no coconut cream but sold me this: Brett on Stuff » Mae Ploy Coconut Milk saying it would work and they use it for custard (but that he'd put coconut cream on his shopping list.) And here, Brett shows how the cream separates from the milk in the frig Brett on Stuff » Massaman Curry Recipe - in case others can't find the cream only the milk ... so tomorrow I'm good to go on this lime-coconut frenzy you started, foxl. Woot!

Proportions - how big is the can of coconut cream you're talking about?

<last coconut cream question. honest. probably.>

·
Registered
741 Posts
we get both here and coconut milk is obviously not as thick as the cream...I think the taste is very similar lol which makes sense...I don't know the size in the recipe but our cans are 75ml 125 ml...you could always use cream and coconut essence...just an idea

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
we get both here and coconut milk is obviously not as thick as the cream...
Yeah - on that page, the guy skims the cream once it has separated in the frig, and shows the consistency which is very thick. I'm hoping there will be enough cream from the large tin to be equivalent to a small one of cream.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yeah - on that page, the guy skims the cream once it has separated in the frig, and shows the consistency which is very thick. I'm hoping there will be enough cream from the large tin to be equivalent to a small one of cream.
"good ruk rorge" (Astro the dog voice from the jetsons)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
15 oz can.

And the labelling as milk or cream can VARY -- look at the fat grams. As long as you are in the 15 - 20g range per serving, it's the GOOD stuff! Just do not get the reduced-fat kind ... :p

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
A VERY lovely custard! Now if only I can keep from eating the whole thing!

I made a lovely custard last night:

Mix in a blender:
6 large eggs
1 can coconut cream
juice of 1 - 2 limes plus grated peel (green only) of one)
1/3 c vanilla splenda syrup (Torani)
2 TBS erythritol

Bake at 300 for one hour, covered if you like it pale, or open, to brown.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
A VERY lovely custard! Now if only I can keep from eating the whole thing!
What? How the heck did you find coconut cream in the Ozarks when I can't find it in any of the Asian markets around here? (I called 6 in surrounding areas, and in very thick Asian accents they advised they have milk, not cream.) My Asian guy with the 6 shelves claims he will order it.

Meanwhile, as I was consciously not posting about my coconut cream obsession here, I was busy wallowing in it nonetheless. I got this Let's Do Organic Creamed Coconut, 7-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 6): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food at Whole Foods for the yox of it and wasted almost the whole thing trying to turn it into cream (it's the alchemist in me.) I didn't manage to, but it's delicious and I'll use it in some less-obsessive way.

The stuff I got the other day, although called milk, is pretty thick, and I'm going to skim the chilled heaviest part off and try 1/2 recipe, though not in an expensive pecan crust as I had planned, just in case!

I hope not to keep this thread open for the next decade in an endless quest. You started something foxl, yes you did :)

And Shanny. You found coconut cream? Really?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The stuff I got the other day, although called milk, is pretty thick, and I'm going to skim the chilled heaviest part off and try 1/2 recipe, though not in an expensive pecan crust as I had planned, just in case!
This is what I did, and there was enough that I went ahead & made the full recipe, except because I use jumbo eggs, I used only five. Good thing too, because by the time I got the almond crust in the bottom of the pan, there was just barely room for all the filling - it was brimful, but it didn't run over in the oven! Baked beautifully too, without using bain marie.

But I'm in quest of coconut cream now fer shure!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts