The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the endo on Monday. It has been a very stressful couple of weeks around here and I haven't been keeping my logs like I should.

At the end of November my boss quit. He did not prepare anyone to take over his job. Not only that, he was incompetent at what he was doing. There was so much left hanging that he did not do. We have projects here that are 4-6 weeks past due that he failed to even order materials or do job planning. I have now had to take over his job as well as mine. Now I get to be the guy interacting with our customers and suppliers (which is an aspect of the job I love) as well as trying to control job planning and production processes. We have a huge package from one of our customers that he was trying to get under control but he didn't know how to accomplish it or manage people. We are finally starting to get things under control but I have been working crazy hours trying to get everything done.

On top of that, my mom had surgery on her shoulder. The last time she had surgery, some of you might remember, her heart basically stopped when they were waking her up. She was really worried this would happen again or, worse, she would not make it.

I moved last weekend, too. So I have been spending every single spare second preparing things for the move and shopping for that. I don't like shopping for myself, especially around Christmas time.

Insurance also announced it wasn't covering lantus anymore so I have that change to process.

With all of this, I was worried he would be a little disappointed that my logs were not up to date. I changed endos during my last visit and they are much more thorough. They provide much better service than my previous doctor. Patients are required to fill out patient evaluations, mainly about concerns or what they want to talk about or expect to get out of the appointment.

He basically told me that he expected my numbers to become a little more challenging to control over the next 6 months. He said I am probably coming out of my honeymoon period and as my pancreas starts making less and less insulin, my blood sugars won't be very helpful in controlling themselves.

I took this as my challenge to keep my numbers near normal through this process. I have the support of so many of you on here that accomplish near normal numbers and I'm confident I can keep my numbers under control, as well.

I'm sorry I rambled but there was a lot of stuff going on in my life that I haven't had the time to tell you all about lately. I appreciate your friendship, support and encouragement.

May you all have a wonderful holiday season, whatever it is that you celebrate.

:D

Reactions: foxl and Gizmo

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow, Josh, lots on your plate right now. Best of luck!

One question - a potentially stupid, ignorant question - but just how can your insurance decide to stop covering Lantus? If you're T1, insulin is a necessity, no? (Probably showing my lack of awareness of how bad insurance companies are, but...)

A second potentially ignorant question...you say your doc said to expect your pancreas to start making less and less insulin? Wouldn't that make you a T2? I only ask because I, too, *technically* have some insulin production (even though I don't make enough to coat a gnat's eyelash), and as such was declared to be a T2. Just curious, still trying to nail down firm definitions...

·
Registered
298 Posts
NotBubba said:

One question - a potentially stupid, ignorant question - but just how can your insurance decide to stop covering Lantus? If you're T1, insulin is a necessity, no? (Probably showing my lack of awareness of how bad insurance companies are, but...)

A second potentially ignorant question...you say your doc said to expect your pancreas to start making less and less insulin? Wouldn't that make you a T2? I only ask because I, too, *technically* have some insulin production (even though I don't make enough to coat a gnat's eyelash), and as such was declared to be a T2. Just curious, still trying to nail down firm definitions...
The insurance my work uses has stopped covering humalog... Thank goodness I use my husbands insurance

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
T2 & T1 are basically 2 different chronic conditions having a common symptom of raised BG. The T1 pancreas are constantly under attack by the auto-immune system, while the T2 pancreas have given up (extent variable for person to person) producing insulin by being overworked over a period of time, apart from varying degree of Insulin resistance.

Both are capable of producing some insulin.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Uuuugh, Josh! I have gone through periods of mega-stress like that, and yes, they led to progression of my D. In fact, about 8 mos pre-diagnosis I h ad a huge one ... and I am sure my weird short-term memory-loss episodes soon thereafter were an indicator how high my BG was!

Take the best care of yourself you can, hopefully your highs are temporary and your BG will return to its happy self, soon. SO good to have a supportive endo through that!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thank you so much for your concerns and well wishes. It means a ton to me to have such a supportive groupd of people around here. You guys are awesome!!

There are several brands of long lasting insulin. They have simply stopped covering the one that I currently use. I will now have to go to a different brand. My doctor said there is usually no problem but that they do both act a little different.

There is a period for most T1s called the honeymoon period. Generally what happens is that after a while on insulin, the pancreas decides to give it one more try. It gives everything it can to produce the insulin the body needs. A lot of times, people think they're cured. Truth be told, it was hard not to think that for a while. For example, I took no insulin yesterday and had three full meals, one with moderate carbs and the other two with low carbs, and my BG never went over 110. This is temporary. My pancreas will go dead again, this time for good.

Does that make sense?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts