The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you make a nut crust, say out of pecans for pumpkin pie, do you just chop the nuts in a food processor and press into pie dish, or do you add something to help keep it together? I guess I should probably google nut crusts before posing this question, but I know someone here will have the answer I am looking for. Thanks.:laugh:

·
Registered
916 Posts
I made it. I didn't feel the urge to drag my food processor out, it big & heavy & the lid only fits when it wants too :mad:PIA really. so I mashed them with my meat flatner thingie. lol. in a bag then in a tea towel to cover it .1 & 1/4 cup toasted pecans.

3T soft butter
3 packets splenda
1/4cup flax meal.
I baked it for maybe 10 min.

next time I plan on making coconut crust. :p:D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I usually use finely chopped nuts, some melted butter or Coconut Oil, a little cinnamon and some sweetner if you want. I remember in some of Dana Carpender's nut crusts she also used a few tablespoons of vanilla whey powder.

Reactions: d33na

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I use the pecan meal. I then add an egg white, some Erythritol, and some more sweetener if I want a sweet crust. This will burn easily in the oven, so I cook it at 315 or so and keep an eye on it.

·
Banned
158 Posts
I made it. I didn't feel the urge to drag my food processor out, it big & heavy & the lid only fits when it wants too :mad:PIA really. so I mashed them with my meat flatner thingie. lol. in a bag then in a tea towel to cover it .1 & 1/4 cup toasted pecans.

3T soft butter
3 packets splenda
1/4cup flax meal.
I baked it for maybe 10 min.

next time I plan on making coconut crust. :p:D
Carolina, I'm trying to make a nut crust for the first time and was a little confused. I see your ingredients listed here - starting with the soft butter, but I don't see any nuts listed. Is this a flax meal crust?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Carolina, I'm trying to make a nut crust for the first time and was a little confused. I see your ingredients listed here - starting with the soft butter, but I don't see any nuts listed. Is this a flax meal crust?
1 & 1/4 cup pecans. :) and you can leave out the flaxmeal if you want. it works without it. you can use other nuts too.

and un sweet coconut.

·
Banned
158 Posts
1 & 1/4 cup pecans. :) and you can leave out the flaxmeal if you want. it works without it. you can use other nuts too.

and un sweet coconut.
okay - thanks.
Sorry to be so dense, but I'm not used to cooking much from scratch, so I need to have everything spelled out for me. :)

I'm going to try this later on today. :)

Thanks again!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts