The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just learning about A1C tests. When I got my results at my diagnosis earlier this month, it was at an 11! Is there a way to know by that number what my average bgs was during those three months? It was a 262 when I got dx'd.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm just learning about A1C tests. When I got my results at my diagnosis earlier this month, it was at an 11! Is there a way to know by that number what my average bgs was during those three months? It was a 262 when I got dx'd.
Rosie,

There isnt an exact formula, the numbers I saw were between 269 and 315 for an A1c of 11.

When i get my lab work it actually has an average figure calculated from the A1c on it, but from test to test it isnt a exactly consistent number.

That should give you an idea though

Don

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
There are different charts on the internet that give you the conversion. The HbA1c actually measures the glycation that is stuck to blood molecules. This sugar coating comes from having higher bgs. So the longer bgs stay high the more glycation. When blood vessels get stuck up with sugar that is when complications start. What is confusing to me is if very low bgs negate very high bgs. If you do a lot of testing, especially during the middle of the night you should get a pretty good idea of what your bg average is and what your HbA1c wil be. Since the average life of a blood molecule is 3 months , that is why they usually wait 3 months to do a second test.

Printable Diabetes Chart- Convert HbA1c to estimated Average Glucose(eAG)

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are different charts on the internet that give you the conversion. The HbA1c actually measures the glycation that is stuck to blood molecules. This sugar coating comes from having higher bgs. So the longer bgs stay high the more glycation. When blood vessels get stuck up with sugar that is when complications start. What is confusing to me is if very low bgs negate very high bgs. If you do a lot of testing, especially during the middle of the night you should get a pretty good idea of what your bg average is and what your HbA1c wil be. Since the average life of a blood molecule is 3 months , that is why they usually weight 3 months to do a second test.

Printable Diabetes Chart- Convert HbA1c to estimated Average Glucose(eAG)

Thanks Jwags, that chart helps a LOT! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts