The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a snack tonight I had a slice of pepperjack cheese (the pre-sliced sandwich sized slices) and 4 Triscuit crackers. I checked my blood glucose an hour after eating and my number was 152. I checked it two hours after eating and my glucose was 107. Is this considered out of control? I guess I have never tested one hour after eating. Do glucoses go up like that then come back down? I am on metformin 1000 mg and Byetta 10 mcg. twice a day. But since this was a snack, I did not take Byetta at that time. Should I be concerned about this 152 or not? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hey Ruby: :)

What was your BG before you had your snack?

According to the Medical Professionals so far, "No", you should not be concerned about it. Yes, it does spike at one hour after but by the second hour it should be back to normal levels. YW! :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it was back to normal after two hours. I don't think I've ever tested an hour after eating. Also, I didn't test before the snack because I usually only test before and after the meal I take the Byetta with. But it had been several hours since I ate last so I thought a snack would hold me over until dinner, which was about 3 hours away. My glucose right before my dinner meal was 97. My blood glucoses are seldom out of control before and two hours after a meal. This Byetta stuff is really working for me! So, I am okay with a 152 one hour after eating? It was certainly normal two hours after eating. I just got a little freaked! I haven't seen a number like that since starting Byetta.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Relax Rubystar ;), You are on control, It's genrealy normal to get a high in the first hour and back down the 2nd hour as this is a good indercaition that your pancreas is doing the job properly. :D

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
No one knows what their blood sugars are every hour of every day unless they have a CGMS that works correctly (Some have problems with the sensors). Or if you wanted to check your blood sugar 24 times a day(j/k, of course). There are many reasons why a Diabetic's sugar goes high. Food/beverages are only 2 of the reasons. Foods affect us differently, rates of IR affect us differently, types of medications, body weight, stress, etc. The peak may hit at 45 minutes for one Person or 1 1/2 hours later for another. They can't possibly make that many lists or one for each Person(Not so far anyways :rolleyes:).

rubystar2 said:
So, I am okay with a 152 one hour after eating?
According to most Medical Professionals around the world the 1 hour post-prandial doesn't matter when the peak hits but how long the duration of the peak number, is important.

They usually change medical info as new and better ideas and studies come out. Perhaps they are doing that right now on this topic.

You may have read on this Forum that I had a blood glucose of over 1200mg/dl while in a 3 day Coma. I came out of it, "Okay, in my books". (To anyone reading this post: Do Not try that number at home or anywhere else. It will kill you if you don't have Good and Immediate Medical Care) and it may kill you even with a Good Medical Team).

I'm Glad that the Byetta is working for you Ruby. But it would be to your advantage to test before going to bed especially if you want a snack.

I'm sorry this took so long while I was "on" here but I've had numerous interruptions.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I test before snacks because i will sometimes be somewhat high and therefore i will skip that snack. If I was 120 and had a snack then i might be very high one hour later, I don't want that. I don't snack unless I am below 100, then my test one hour later is not too high. Your numbers are good!

Richard

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Terrie, I wasn't on my way to bed! Haha. I work the midnight shift so I had the snack about midnight and wasn't going to eat a full meal until about 2:30 am. I get off work at 7:30 in the morning. i usually sleep from around noon until about 8:00 p.m. MissMegan and I, were are the night crew! We keep the world running while you all are getting some sleep (except for those of you who live on the other side of the world from us!) :D

But anyway, thanks to all of you who responded. I feel better. Even though I work in the medical field and have been diabetic for almost two years now, I am still learning.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Oh Ya!! You and Meg are twins or Sisters or Brothers or Best Friends....help me out here :D Sorry, I forgot. Too much to remember, so I get mixed up sometimes. (I still have old phone numbers, addresses and birthdates of People I knew in High School that I can't delete from my brain. Drives me nuts. Now there's a Good example of wasted brain cells. ;) ) God Love you both. Yes, you still have lots to learn. That's one thing about this disease or stuff associated with it. There will always be New stuff to learn.
Your Welcome. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.