The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still trying to get some stability with BG using diet. I'm doing about 120 carbs/day, which is 1/2 what the nutritionist tried to cram down my throat. I have about 20 carbs at bedtime because I am prone to high BG when I wake up. If I sleep longer (8-9 hrs on lucky days), my BG can be 150 or so. If I eat my normal 30 carb breakfast (high fiber bread, egg, cheese sandwich) my BG will hit 190+ 2hrs later. :eek: If my BG was reasonable when I wake up, it's reasonable 2hrs after breakfast.:D

So I guess my question is: When my BG goes high because I DIDN'T eat enough carbs, should I eat when I wake up and spike it even higher? Consistency is not something I can seem to get.

My BG never goes below 110, trying to keep it down there is my goal. No Metformin yet, but I think I need to ask my doc for it when I see him in a few weeks. It seems diet control alone is not enough. I was DX's in July, have gone from 306 to 285 so far.

Thanks for any insight,
Surfer

·
Registered
916 Posts
oh gosh I could have written this lol.I was begining to think I didn't have enough carbs. 60 for me a day.
My # are all over the place. 88 is a low for me. I had one a few days ago. but mostly have high # now.

I have very little grains.Maybe wasa now & then. No root veggies. Barely any fruit.

yesterday forgot breakfast so lunch was can of tuna, the whole 5oz can with mayo,onion, sugar free Pickle's on 1 wasa.
Tested at 6pm 145 :( so I ate a rolled up piece of turkey breast with a small piece of cheese for dinner.
2 metformin 1000, Lipitor, shot of 20un of lantus. this morning 174 :mad:

I am for sure doing something wrong :drama:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D
oh gosh I could have written this lol.I was begining to think I didn't have enough carbs. 60 for me a day.
My # are all over the place. 88 is a low for me. I had one a few days ago. but mostly have high # now.

I have very little grains.Maybe wasa now & then. No root veggies. Barely any fruit.

yesterday forgot breakfast so lunch was can of tuna, the whole 5oz can with mayo,onion, sugar free Pickle's on 1 wasa.
Tested at 6pm 145 :( so I ate a rolled up piece of turkey breast with a small piece of cheese for dinner.
2 metformin 1000, Lipitor, shot of 20un of lantus. this morning 174 :mad:

I am for sure doing something wrong :drama:
Something my nutritionist pointed out is that too few carbs can cause the liver to release stored glucose, raising BG. One of the helpful folks in the forums here explained the same to me as well. If I have some carbs & fat (peanutbutter & crackers) right before bed it usually will keep my BG steady in the morning. If I don't eat some carbs or sleep longer than 6-7 hours, my BG is higher in the AM. This makes sense to me and I understand you can't live completely without carbs. It's like we have to walk a much narrower carb-road then other folks; too little and our liver can spike it up, too many and our food spikes it up. I'm just wondering what to do when my BG is way high in the morning... eat or not to eat? Stay tuned, there's a ton of good folks here who are ready to help...:D
Surfer

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I only can say what works for me, but I try to eat only 30-40 carbs a day and eat as much fat as I can eat. Fat and low carb works well for me. This morning I had 73 fasting, and due to circumstances last night, I only ate 20 or less.

YMMV

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
:DI'm just wondering what to do when my BG is way high in the morning... eat or not to eat? Stay tuned, there's a ton of good folks here who are ready to help...:D
Surfer
I think not eating is not really an option because levels just go higher until you DO eat. I'm afflicted with dawn phenomenon myself & can run as high as 160 (8.8) if I sleep in very late. Eating calls a halt to the DP, but you can't do it by eating carbs. All I ever eat for breakfast is protein & fat. Today it was bacon, egg & a GG crispbread cracker with butter on it, plus 16 oz of decaf coffee laced with heavy cream. The total carb count for the meal was 2g from the cracker.

Later in the day I may be able to handle slightly higher carbs, but I don't go over 50g for the whole day. I've given up trying to control the DP, since my A1c is still dropping & my BG levels drop throughout the day, but if my next Alc isn't lower, there'll be six kinds of hell to pay & I'll be declaring war on DP.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I usually eat something like string cheese to keep levels on an even keep throughout the night -- especially if my bedtime test is 80 or below. It's protein, and produces glucose slowly, almost like a time-release.

For bedtime levels of 80-90, I may add a small glass of red wine. 90 or above -- small glass of red wine, no cheese.

If you don't do wine -- something vinegary, like a dill pickle or a small green salad, might do the trick.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I agree with Shanny - you MUST eat otherwise it will continue to go up . . . at least, that's what happens to me.

The best thing for me is lower carb - I found that my dawn phenomenon gets better when I go very low-carb - but it takes a while - a couple weeks, before that happens.

My own thoughts on the process are that as long as you eat carbs (and for most people, 120g of carb is NOT low-carb, it's not even close...) your body EXPECTS glucose in the bloodstream. When it's not there, it releases it. For me, when I went lower-carb, and do my best to keep my levels always as low as possible, my body got used to the lower glucose levels, and my dawn-phenomenon improved. I'm quite certain that if I were to double my carb intake, or stop doing as much carb-burning exercise (I work out WAAAY more than most people) my dawn phenomenon would once again rear it's ugly head much worse than it is.... (I run anywhere from 5.1to 6.8 most mornings, which is anywhere from 90-120 or so... My mornings used to be anywhere from 10.5 to 15, or 190-270... so it's a tremendous improvement.)

FYI, although I usually have roughly 100-120g of carbohydrate per day, it's with 3600-4200 calories daily. This would equate to 50-60g daily for most people's daily intake - so I'm fairly low-carb considering my overall caloric intake. I also do distance cycling of up to 250-300km per week, which burns a tremendous amount of blood glucose.

Reactions: SerotoninSurfer

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I knew I could count on you guys for info!

I agree with Shanny - you MUST eat otherwise it will continue to go up . . . at least, that's what happens to me.

The best thing for me is lower carb - I found that my dawn phenomenon gets better when I go very low-carb - but it takes a while - a couple weeks, before that happens.

My own thoughts on the process are that as long as you eat carbs (and for most people, 120g of carb is NOT low-carb, it's not even close...) your body EXPECTS glucose in the bloodstream. When it's not there, it releases it. For me, when I went lower-carb, and do my best to keep my levels always as low as possible, my body got used to the lower glucose levels, and my dawn-phenomenon improved. I'm quite certain that if I were to double my carb intake, or stop doing as much carb-burning exercise (I work out WAAAY more than most people) my dawn phenomenon would once again rear it's ugly head much worse than it is.... (I run anywhere from 5.1to 6.8 most mornings, which is anywhere from 90-120 or so... My mornings used to be anywhere from 10.5 to 15, or 190-270... so it's a tremendous improvement.)

FYI, although I usually have roughly 100-120g of carbohydrate per day, it's with 3600-4200 calories daily. This would equate to 50-60g daily for most people's daily intake - so I'm fairly low-carb considering my overall caloric intake. I also do distance cycling of up to 250-300km per week, which burns a tremendous amount of blood glucose.
Thanks to all for their great info. I'm going to drop down to 60 carbs/day and drop the carbs from my breakfasts and night snack and see how it goes. I thought the 240g carbs (almost 1000 calories!) recommended per day was insane so I cut it in half; apparently it was even more insane than I thought.:eek:

I'll take personal experience over an expert most any day. I know the docs & nutritionists mean well, but it reminds me of a quote:

"Doctors are men who prescribe medicines of which they know little, to cure diseases of which they know less, in human beings of whom they know nothing" -Voltaire

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
And lest you think diabetes isn't ornery enough to rub your nose in it, here's my experience from last night. Dinner was green bananas, okay? Wonderful resistant starch that doesn't budge my BG. Got sleepy early & went to bed about 9:30pm. Slept about six hours but couldn't get back to sleep after a bathroom break. Got up & tested . . . 112 (6.2) after a nine-hour fast. This just burns my tailfeathers! My fastings run 125-130 (6.9-7.2) when I sleep longer & test at the later morning hour.

Oh - and surfer? That's a great quote. Strawberry used it for her signature until just recently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts