The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a 28 year old male. I am overweight as I weight 297 at the moment. I have not been diagnosed with diabetes but I do keep a regular check on my blood sugar with a monitor I bought. I use a Freestyle Freedom Lite glucose monitor. I used to be diagnosed with Low Blood Sugar but that was back when I was a teenager but I still feel like I have symptoms of it at times. My fasting reading is 87 or 81 at times. An hour after I eat a big meal it gets up to about 100 or so and then 2 hours later its back down to 90 something. The highest it has got was the other night I ate a lot of junk food and an hour later it read 134. I did have a reading of 120 once but usually it stays from 87 to 100. Is there any way I could tell if I had diabetes by these readings or have an indication? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
If you go to the bloodsugar101 website and read the section "what is normal blood sugar" that should help you out. From what I have read there, people who do not have Diabetes always stay below 120, no matter what they eat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you go to the bloodsugar101 website and read the section "what is normal blood sugar" that should help you out. From what I have read there, people who do not have Diabetes always stay below 120, no matter what they eat.

Thank you for your reply. I will check out that website right now. My wife has been checked and is not diabetic and she has a normal weight and works out, but when I check her with this meter it has shown her over 120 quite a few times an hour after a meal.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It wouldn't hurt, Ghaleon, for her to start checking her postprandials & keeping a food diary for awhile . . . in my opinion, those are the most telling readings at early stages. Doctors rant & rave over fasting numbers, but fasting is often the last place to show signs of trouble, while postprandials have been elevated already.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
My wife has been checked and is not diabetic and she has a normal weight and works out, but when I check her with this meter it has shown her over 120 quite a few times an hour after a meal.
Keep in mind that meters aren't all that accurate.

G

·
hi Ghaleon :) Your BGL numbers are mostly in the normal range. It doesn't hurt keeping an eye on things though... and if your wife is having higher than normal range , just follow Shanny's suggestion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I decided to eat out tonight and ended up going to Wendys and got the grilled chicken sandwich and got the meal large size (which was a bad idea). An hour after eating it I checked my blood sugar and it said 154. I freaked out because that is the first time it has ever gone that high. I was hoping that maybe it was because I stuffed myself and ate way to much. I rechecked it just a minute later on another finger and it said 162. I still feel very full from that meal so I am hoping that is what it is.

G

·
Thanks everyone for all the replies. I decided to eat out tonight and ended up going to Wendys and got the grilled chicken sandwich and got the meal large size (which was a bad idea). An hour after eating it I checked my blood sugar and it said 154. I freaked out because that is the first time it has ever gone that high. I was hoping that maybe it was because I stuffed myself and ate way to much. I rechecked it just a minute later on another finger and it said 162. I still feel very full from that meal so I am hoping that is what it is.
when you say you got a meal... is that with fries and coke? The type of carbs you eat can make your BGLs skyrocket quick or give you sustained energy. Eg. fries and coke would be high GI carbs and would spike your BGLs straight away. I'm not sure if your sandwich was bread/bun? If it was white then that would be high GI also. So you probably had a high GI carb meal which would for sure spike your BGLs.... you're eating sugar literally if it was all the white stuff. If you eat carbs, look for low GI options (refer glycemic index) and stay away from high GI carbs. Also watch portions you have as that could raise your BGLs too high overall too. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when you say you got a meal... is that with fries and coke? The type of carbs you eat can make your BGLs skyrocket quick or give you sustained energy. Eg. fries and coke would be high GI carbs and would spike your BGLs straight away. I'm not sure if your sandwich was bread/bun? If it was white then that would be high GI also. So you probably had a high GI carb meal which would for sure spike your BGLs.... you're eating sugar literally if it was all the white stuff. If you eat carbs, look for low GI options (refer glycemic index) and stay away from high GI carbs. Also watch portions you have as that could raise your BGLs too high overall too. :D
I have been eating way to much fast food for the past year, I need to start cutting it out. The meal I had tonight was grilled chicken on a white bread bun, large order of fries and a large Sprite. Pretty much a banquet of pure sugar. My uncle has diabetes and my aunt is always telling me that its a matter of time before I probably get it so I try and keep an eye on my glucose levels. I'll go with normal levels for quite awhile but then I'll scare myself (like tonight) by getting that one high reading. Tonight though is the first time I've ever went above 134 and I only hit 134 once. Usually when I eat its about 120 or so an hour afterward.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Most normal non D's are back to 100 or less after meals. They have a functioning endocrine system which produces a strong Insulin response within moments of eating. The insulin acts on the glucose you are eating and pushes it into the cells. As you endocrine system starts to malfunction this process may take longer and longer, so your bgs may still be above 120 , 2 hours after eating. As far as your wife, I would encourage her to test. Many times a doctor will judge whether you have diabetes or not on fasting bg only. Usually the fasting is the last thing to go. Many normal weight people who work out have diabetes, so if she is having a lot of bgs over 120 she might be pre diabetic. For both of you, changing your diets to real food wouldn't hurt. Fast food doesn't help anyone. Go for real veggies, real meat, real fat. Cutting out a lot of the fake stuff, HFCS, and other chemicals in your food will really help your weight and your blood sugar.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Something I noticed today about my meter, each finger has a drastically different reading. For example, I just ate a big bowl of a dessert that my dad made, guaranteed to have been overloaded with carbs. My blood sugar was low before hand, it was down to 69 on the meter and I was feeling cold and shaky. Now its been an hour after I ate and I still feel the symptoms of low blood sugar, but when I tested on my ring finger on my right hand it said 134mg. 1 minute later I checked the ring finger on my left hand and it said 157mg. I noticed last night that my middle finger on my left hand read a lot higher than my ringer on my left hand when I read them a minute apart. Does this have anything to do with my meter or what?

G

·
Something I noticed today about my meter, each finger has a drastically different reading. For example, I just ate a big bowl of a dessert that my dad made, guaranteed to have been overloaded with carbs. My blood sugar was low before hand, it was down to 69 on the meter and I was feeling cold and shaky. Now its been an hour after I ate and I still feel the symptoms of low blood sugar, but when I tested on my ring finger on my right hand it said 134mg. 1 minute later I checked the ring finger on my left hand and it said 157mg. I noticed last night that my middle finger on my left hand read a lot higher than my ringer on my left hand when I read them a minute apart. Does this have anything to do with my meter or what?
apparently most meters can be up to 20% out. It would drive you to insanity if you tested every finger. lol. But if you had a reading of 69 that is too low and the fact you say you were having symptoms... you would have been having a hypo. Depending on how long you've been sitting on the low reading determines pretty much how long it takes to get out of the hypo. For example if I catch the hypo as it starts and treat it quick I can feel better within 20 mins. My endo advised me that the minimum recovery time is in fact 30 mins for a hypo (regardless of whether you feel better) as the first thing to go is your judgement and it's also the last thing to return. That means you shouldn't be driving or anything like that for a minimum of 30 mins or even longer. But another example I'll give you is when you don't treat the hypo immediately... I have got myself to the point where my speech is slurred and I'm already all clammy and shaky... I then treat it and I feel sick and all and it takes up to 3 hours to recover. Usually this happens to me if I'm in the middle of a conversation and I'm too focused on the other person. It's a good idea to educate people around you on what a hypo is as they should know this as you may need their help. For me I'm usually fine in that I treat it myself... but I still educate others. Eg. I tell them I'm having one when I am so they can look for the signs. To be honest most people I know can't tell the difference with me which is a worry.... even when my speech starts slurring. Some of my family and friends are now more aware and they ask me if I've eaten enough or recently. As for your desert... that would have been appropriate to treat a hypo quick if it was sweet... but if it was high GI carb it would have raised your BGLs quick and then you would have had the sudden drop in your BGLs which also can make you feel unwell. The best idea would have been to have a few spoonfuls of the desert only and then look for a better option to give you sustained energy release. Eg.... to treat a hypo you generally need half a glass of juice/soda, 5-7 jelly beans/lollies, 3 teaspoons sugar/honey... etc. I start out on the lower side and have a bit more 10-15 mins later if I need to. I then look for a low GI carb to keep my BGLs stable... you could include protein/fat in that also. I've probably rambled a bit here... but I hope it helps give you an idea. :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Meters are not 100% accurate. They are allowed to have a 20% margin of error. As you have found out different fingers may give you different readings. Anything below 70 is considered a low, so you might feel shaky. The best thing is to divide your carbs up throughout the day so you don't get huge spikes and crashes of bgs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts