The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a question about a weird bg level that hit me today. I ate the same thing for dinner tonight that I ate last night. I took 14 units of humalog with both meals. Yesterday my bg 2 hours after food was 103. Today it was 141. What the heck?
So my question is two fold:
1. Is it possible that food can effect me differently today than it did
yesterday?
2. Or is it possible that what I had for lunch today started to effect me
around dinner time? (My post lunch bg today was less than 100)
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
So I have a question about a weird bg level that hit me today. I ate the same thing for dinner tonight that I ate last night. I took 14 units of humalog with both meals. Yesterday my bg 2 hours after food was 103. Today it was 141. What the heck?
So my question is two fold:
1. Is it possible that food can effect me differently today than it did
yesterday?
2. Or is it possible that what I had for lunch today started to effect me
around dinner time? (My post lunch bg today was less than 100)
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Josh
Most likely, it was what you had for lunch that affected your dinner reading. Check before eating dinner to see where you are at.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I see you are newly diagnosed. Your body is probably trying to do its job and make insulin some of the time and not so much at other times. Just keep checking and ALWAYS carry a few snacks for lows.

Tammy

·
Registered
253 Posts
What causes the most swings like that for me is a change in physical activity. If I went for a walk or a bike ride before the lower reading, that would explain it.

I'd think the reading of a hundred would be a little low for that time anyway. Since it is only half way through the 4 hours the insulin is acting, you still have 7 units of insulin left. For me that would put me down to about 60.

And of course it is possible that your sugars were higher before the meal with the higher reading.

I do know a diabetic who tests before and after each meal. He was surprised that I didn't. 'How do you know how much to inject?'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts