The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi first some background. i'm 41, have diabetes for about 5 years now

was taking actos 45mg a day plus 8mg of Glimepiride (both actos and Glimepiride once a day in the morning)

i started atkins & exercising in November and had to stop the actos. (sugar was getting too low and i was feeling very weak)

so now i'm just on the Glimepiride but my question is, is it ok to take this twice a day (4mg in the morning and 4mg at night) ?

everything i read says you should take it once daily but it seems to work better for me if i break it up

if i take all 8mg in the morning, my sugar will drop too low but if i only take 4mg in the morning and nothing else i'll wake up with a high fasting sugar of about 130-160

if i take 4mg in the morning and 4mg at night, everything is fine

but it just makes me nervous that everything i read about Glimepiride says only take it once a day

another note about my decision to drop the actos first was it was costing me $250 a month (no insurance) and the Glimepiride is $10 for 3 months at Walmart

i also have had a few days here and there were i needed no Glimepiride at all with the dieting and exercise

my doc said my fasting sugar should never be over 120 and the 130-160 fasting readings were scaring me when i only took 4mg of the glimepiride in the morning

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Glad you found us and I hope you'll stay with us . . . it's always good to have others for support & advice on a journey like the one we're on.

Wish I knew something about glimepiride to help you out, but I'll welcome you to the forum & let other more knowledgeable members answer your question. :welcome:

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, welcome aboard I am Type 1 so i am not an expert on Type 2 meds. I do knpw that many Type 2's have encountered the problems you are having with several diffent types of meds. They were having better results by splitting their dosage and taking part in the morning and the rest in the evening. I don't see any reason why you have to take it only once per day since you have already tried it and it worked well. Maybe you should call your doctor and ask if you can continue doing this.

Richard

1 - 3 of 3 Posts