The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Before I begin I'll say that I'm not a hypochondriac or someone who just read a magazine article about glycemic index. I just wanted to get something straight about hypoglycemia, and I figured who better to ask than those at risk of arbitrary hypoglycemia almost every day of their lives? :)

Every now and then (every 1-2 weeks maybe?) I get attacks of this mysterious I-don't-know-what. It happens at random times, sometimes even in the middle of the night, but always several hours after I've last eaten. At first I feel a bit tired, especially mentally, like I just don't want to do work or talk to people anymore, so I go lie down. I also feel cooler internally and put on a sweatshirt. But as I'm laying there I'm not resting but rather squirming and figeting, as if I had a fever or something. So I figure I'm not tired and get up and go to the next room, but that doesn't feel right either. I don't want to be anywhere: I'm just straight-up uncomfortable, and feel like I want to crawl out of my skin. I don't think I've ever had a panic/anxiety attack - I'm a pretty chill person - but I would imagine it feels just like this. Finally I will recognize that I'm hungry, but by that point eating makes me nauseous, so I will take 4 chewy granola bars or something and slowly make myself eat them over the course of 5 or 10 minutes. After what seems like forever (maybe 20 minutes), I'll start feeling better and be able to get off the coutch or bed and start walking around. I'll take off my sweatshirt because I'm all sweaty.

Long ago, when this started, I supposed it was low blood sugar, just from the feeling. It didn't bother me though because usually once I started slowing down I would get hungry and then just eat a ton of food (I could down massive amounts, like upwards of 2,000 calories in one sitting) which would stave off the other negative consequences. However, I haven't been eating as much recently and hunger is much slower to come to me, and I find myself in a kind of freak-out situation as described above much more often, which happened acutely about 30 minutes ago. I have chronic fatigue syndrome (look it up if you're not sure what it is. I guarantee you though that I'm not faking it like some people accuse - it's legit, I am a 19 yr old dude who was a bodybuilder 2 years ago and then, wham! postviral, yeah) so there is some stuff wrong with me, but I would just like to know if what I described sounds like hypoglycemia? I tell my parents that (they're doctors) and they say it's probably just an anxiety attack or something, but I don't feel anxious and it just feels so much like it should be hypoglycemia - I'm not sure why, I understand there's no reason that I should be getting attacks. Well I suppose that's why I'm so eager to get this sorted out, because if it is hypoglycemia it is very puzzling.

Well, thanks for reading that friggin essay! I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, I've had my blood glucose tested before, both fasting and not, and it was normal. But that's what I expected since I felt fine at the time of the test... they just said I should get the test.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello, Berban . . . my advice for now is to get a meter & check when these attacks come on. Are you on meds for any of the other "stuff" that's wrong with you? Any weight loss?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, Berban . . . my advice for now is to get a meter & check when these attacks come on. Are you on meds for any of the other "stuff" that's wrong with you? Any weight loss?
Thanks for the advice. I take nuvigil (Armodafinil - narcolepsy stimulant) most days to counter fatigue, and also some prozac (fluoxetine) to counter depression. I don't have weight loss (if some then a small amount) although it is odd that I haven't gained weight over the course of 2 years despite drastically reduced activity levels in addition to a larger than ever appetite - some of which expressed through binges, as I mentioned before. But I guess I am a teenage guy, which means my metabolism is capable of a lot by default.

Right now I'm still not feeling great (why I'm not asleep), which is definitely worse than this has ever been. If it persists I'll see if I can get myself a meter.

Also,
I'm from MA
Go MA! I'm a worcesterite meself

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
How much longer do you want to wait? Cheap meters are available at Walmart/Walgreen/Kroger/etc. I use the Walmart one myself, and find it as accurate as anything else - it costs $9 for the meter & $20 for 50 strips.

How old are you, btw?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Huh, that's what my first instinct was, way back, but instead my parents sent me to the doctor to get a blood glucose test that cost $26. I thought that was pretty weird.
I'm 19 now and weigh 150-160 lbs at 5'10", pretty average

·
Registered
930 Posts
berban

Don't worry, be happy! in a short time that prozac (fluoxetine) will turn your brain to mush and you just will not care anymore, the cure of psycho- toxins is to burn out your human brain and replace it with another pattern. i was on those psycho -toxins for a few years but i got tired of being an emotionless "head on a post" and i gave them up.

Thanks for the advice. I take nuvigil (Armodafinil - narcolepsy stimulant) most days to counter fatigue, and also some prozac (fluoxetine) to counter depression. I don't have weight loss (if some then a small amount) although it is odd that I haven't gained weight over the course of 2 years despite drastically reduced activity levels in addition to a larger than ever appetite - some of which expressed through binges, as I mentioned before. But I guess I am a teenage guy, which means my metabolism is capable of a lot by default.

Right now I'm still not feeling great (why I'm not asleep), which is definitely worse than this has ever been. If it persists I'll see if I can get myself a meter.

Also,

Go MA! I'm a worcesterite meself

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Jim! You ornery old pup! I've been on fluoxetine for years myself, and my brain is NOT mush, thank you very much! :D :D :D (Well, mebbe for just those few minutes after I first wake up in the morning, but . . . :rolleyes:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha, well thanks for the positive advice jim. I kinda agree with you though on that one and I take very little of it - it's pretty much only necessary to help me get through the school year because the chronic fatigue or whatever makes everything so hard. But ima drop out from school so that should take the pressure off somewhat and I won't be needing it anymore.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yhere could be a lot of things causing what you have described but what comes to mind is reactive hypoglycimia and like the others have said the only way to tell is to test your glucose levels.

·
Registered
930 Posts
berban mindless states

berban
mindless states

when i am in one of those mindless states i smoke a cigarette and watch the smoke curl off the end and blow smoke.

if you are not a smoker, have you considered getting an aquarium and a couple of fish so you can just stare at them so you at least have an interesting focal point to stabilize your mind a little. it's very helpful at those times.

just a suggestion......

haha, well thanks for the positive advice jim. I kinda agree with you though on that one and I take very little of it - it's pretty much only necessary to help me get through the school year because the chronic fatigue or whatever makes everything so hard. But ima drop out from school so that should take the pressure off somewhat and I won't be needing it anymore.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Since you have chronic fatigue and hypolycimia i would sugest that you get an ACTH stimulation test and have your pituatary gland checked out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, actually I've already gotten an ACTH stimulation test - that's one of the hallmarks of chronic fatigue, it doesn't show up on any usual blood tests the doctors administer.
And jim, I don't really understand your advice... being in a mindless state is easy to deal with, I just watch tv or something, but the consequences - not doing what you're supposed to be doing - aren't. Plus I didn't even mention that in my comments, so I really have no idea what you are talking about.

Thanks for the help everyone. After forcing myself to eat more over the past few days the symptoms have subsided. I asked my (doctor) parents about it and they said that people with cfs sometimes have sense/neurological problems, i.e. I may be misreading my body's signals and inadvertently starving myself. But certainly I'm not eating too little, so maybe my body's caloric needs are increased... idunno, it's all a big confusing mess with CFS.

Well my parents also said that it is very unlikely to be standard hypoglycemia if I'm not diabetic, which I'm probably not. So bottom line, if it comes back I'll get a meter but until then I'll just try eating more. Thanks for your advice! I think this case can be considered closed. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts