The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!

My glucose levels have risen lately, with no changes in diet or exercises. This morning, I am smelling a rat. My best friend (my meter) may have betrayed me. Using FreeStyle Freedom Lite most of the time, and since I started on a new batch of test strips, the readings have gone up.

I have an alternate meter - OneTouch UltraMini, so I am checking the two against each other. They diverge by 10 or more points, in the tests I've run last evening and today.

What would you do? I am willing to purchase a 3rd meter, if anyone recommends something more reliable.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
HELP!

My glucose levels have risen lately, with no changes in diet or exercises. This morning, I am smelling a rat. My best friend (my meter) may have betrayed me. Using FreeStyle Freedom Lite most of the time, and since I started on a new batch of test strips, the readings have gone up.

I have an alternate meter - OneTouch UltraMini, so I am checking the two against each other. They diverge by 10 or more points, in the tests I've run last evening and today.

What would you do? I am willing to purchase a 3rd meter, if anyone recommends something more reliable.
I soon will be switching from Bayer Breeze 2 to Accu-Check Compact. I already have both meters and it seems like the Accu-Check is better for me. Accu-Check meters and test strips are very commonly used in hospitals.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I think that the accucheck and lifescan meters have the best overall track record with the most reliable results over the widest range of glucose levels

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If your meter uses a control solution to verify accuracy you might try that. A difference of 10 points isnt really that significant. Well...agreed it is significant when trying to decide how much medication to take, etc...but they offer themselves a pretty wide range of leeway in their acceptable results. I have gotten that much of a difference testing on the same meter twice in a row with the same fingerstick *shrug* Frustrating, for sure!

That being said, I prefer the accuchek (which I used for years) and the One Touch (which I am currently using) meters. I dont really have much experience with many of the others. One small hint, whenever I go to the doctors office I always take my meter and test when they draw my blood for lab to check my meter. Mine is never off more than few points.

G

·
I've always used Accu-Check monitors. I'm currently using the Performance Nano.... love it as it's the most compact one I've had and very quick and accurate. I was told that it is more sensitive to plasma than most monitors on the market... making it the most accurate.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What great replies! Okay, I'm sold. I'll try the Accu-check.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I just switched from the One Touch to the Bayer Contour and just bought the Bayer USB meter. I find the One Touch is less accurate than the Contour and the strips are more expensive.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If your meter uses a control solution to verify accuracy you might try that. A difference of 10 points isnt really that significant. Well...agreed it is significant when trying to decide how much medication to take, etc...but they offer themselves a pretty wide range of leeway in their acceptable results. I have gotten that much of a difference testing on the same meter twice in a row with the same fingerstick *shrug* Frustrating, for sure!

That being said, I prefer the accuchek (which I used for years) and the One Touch (which I am currently using) meters. I dont really have much experience with many of the others. One small hint, whenever I go to the doctors office I always take my meter and test when they draw my blood for lab to check my meter. Mine is never off more than few points.
+1 all lab equipment has some sort of margin of error and 10 points is not that bad of swing

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, but this morning's results gave the following: 114 on one meter; 95 on the other. Same drop of blood.

To be meaningful, tests of all kinds have to be both reliable (giving the same results on an immediate retest) and valid/accurate (truly measuring what it purports to measure). A test that is not reliable cannot possibly be valid/accurate.

I am getting either a false positive or a false negative. Neither is acceptable to me. I've ordered the AccuCheck and will test it against the two meters I already have. Will report back.......

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think all meters are going to be off somewhat. That is why the FDA allows that 10-20% margin of error. It is not a perfect system. What I have been told is pick one meter and use that all the time.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
What I have been told is pick one meter and use that all the time.
This has held true for me and I use the cheapest of the cheap - Walmart's ReliOn confirm. But every time I have lab work, I test against the lab results, and my goofy little cheapie comes within 3 or 4 points. I choose to believe that consistency counts for something, and I stopped testing mine against other meters when I realized it was comparing well with laboratory results.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think all meters are going to be off somewhat. That is why the FDA allows that 10-20% margin of error. It is not a perfect system. What I have been told is pick one meter and use that all the time.
I hate to play "yes, but..." So I'll play it anyway. :eek:

I was doing that, using FreeStyle Freedom Lite exclusively. However, it seems to be consistently testing high. I plan my diet around my meter's readings. If the readings are false, where does that leave me? This morning, 115 on one meter, 98 on the other. The FreeStyle tells me I have pre-diabetes; the One Touch says I am normal.

Possibly being on no meds, depending on diet and exercise alone, leaves me more vulnerable to being led astray, with more serious consequences (possibly).

·
Registered
165 Posts
and what happens if you rest w/ both? doubt very much you will get the same numbers. all lab equipment has a margin of error to it.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you do a before and after number you probably will get the same amount of spike with both. I like to have no more than a 20-30 spike at meals. I know how many points certain carbs spike me and that is how I plan my meals, not necessarily the reading in the meter. I think we are all different. I fine my one touch runs a lot higher than my Bayer. You could try every meter out there and they will all be different. I think the important thing is the consistency. I switched to Bayer because it makes me feel better to see the lower numbers. Even though my fasting is now in the 80's or low 90's it doesn't mean I am not diabetic anymore it just means I am controlled.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and what happens if you rest w/ both? doubt very much you will get the same numbers. all lab equipment has a margin of error to it.
Good point, and good plan. Next time, I'll test with both, then immediately retest with both. I think I've been too trusting (naive) of the meters' results. Time to get real. ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
This has held true for me and I use the cheapest of the cheap - Walmart's ReliOn confirm. But every time I have lab work, I test against the lab results, and my goofy little cheapie comes within 3 or 4 points. I choose to believe that consistency counts for something, and I stopped testing mine against other meters when I realized it was comparing well with laboratory results.
Another vote for the ReliOn, only 0.3 microliter drop size and the test strips are super cheap. Yea, it's a crappy little meter compared to the more expensive ones, but it does it's job extremely well.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts