The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my 7 year old daughter to the pediatrician because she was going to the bathroom often. She had just ate lunch about 2 hours prior and she sceamed and cried all the way to the doctor's office. Her BG was 338 at the office. We went to the ER and 1.5 hours later her BG was 165. Her A1C was 8.2. The doctor ordered more tests. The GAD65 test came back negative but the insulin antibody test came back positive. We're still waiting for the c-peptide and islet antibody test. We've been giving her a balanced diet and her BG has been good (fasting 70-95 and before meals and bedtime <110). She has not received any insulin injections. Any thoughts on what these results mean while we wait for the rest of the tests?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
These results are hard to interpret since she has good numbers at home but then she had such high numbers during the testing period. Are the numbers better because of her balanced diet? Did she have a diet that included a lot of carbs and much sugar when the high numbers were seen? Those high numbers should not have occurred if she is not a diabetic, or at least a prediabetic. If she is a diabetic then her pancreas may still be producing enough insulin to give her the good numbers you are seeing now. That is called the "honeymoon" period. Eventually the pancreas would slow down and then not produce enough insulin and high blood sugar would be seen throughout the day. At that stage insulin injections would begin. All this is based on the assumption that she is a diabetic/prediabetic. There are other things, like certain medications, that can cause temporary high blood sugar. I hope you will see a doctor with a diabetes speciality....an endocrinologist. A correct diagnosis and treatment are very important.

There is a site created especially for parents of diabetic children. You may want to check that out. Here is the link.

children with DIABETES Online Community

Good luck to you and your daughter!

Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply Richard. We are seeing a pediatric endocrinologist. Our issue was that the doctor seemed more interested in treating the symptoms rather than looking for a root cause. We have found another endocrinologist that is interested in finding out what's going on and are waiting to see her. As parents, we are in denial. Prior to taking her to the doctor where the high blood sugar was noted, she had been sick the prior week and half. Any thoughts about the GAD65 and insulin antibodies? Would the results of these possibly indicate a type 2? We're just getting up to speed on blood sugar and the pancreas.

Thanks,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello hurtman
You said the A1c was 8,2 witch indicates an average bg of ca 180 (10 mmol/l) for the last 6-8 weeks.
And in Norway, at least, a high bg is all they need to diagnose diabetes.
I do not think she has got t2, since you seem to be a normal family. And the few times a child under ten years has got t2 i Norway it has made the headlines since that is proof of severe mal nutrition.

I hope the doctors will prove me wrong, and wish you all the best. :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
You indicated that the antibody test was positive but abnormal antibodies have been found in the majority of patients with type 1 diabetes. The antobodies found may be abnormal. Here is a link on that tipic.

http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/44/4/543

GAD65 has been found to preserve insulin in Type 1 diabetics for many months but without the GAD65 the insulin in your daughter's body probably would not be as long lasting.

Is your daughter overweight? Has she been taking any kind of medication? There are medications suce as Prednisone and certain antiinflammatory meds that cause high blood sugar but this is usually temporary. In certain instances the reaction to those meds is permanent and diabetes results. If your daughter is overweight then Type 2 may be possible. If she is NOT overweight then Type 1 is much more likely. This assumes the high blood sugar is not due to some external cause and only temporary in nature.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts