The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm still testing 1 and 2 hours after eating (even though my doctor told me NOT to because "you'll hurt your fingers too much". Ok, boo hoo) and I'm wondering which test - the 1 hr or 2 hr - is the more significant one, the one that I really need to watch. After breakfast this morning, my 1 hr. was 177 and the 2 hr. went down to 157. Obviously, the 2 hr is better, but which one is the one that really counts?

Thanks,

Rosie

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
they are both important. 177 and 157 are both well above the ceiling of 140 though. i recommend that you cut down the portion, or figure out which breakfast item is spiking you that high

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are both important. 177 and 157 are both well above the ceiling of 140 though. i recommend that you cut down the portion, or figure out which breakfast item is spiking you that high

Yes, I've already figured out what caused the spike, so I'm eliminating that altogether!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm still testing 1 and 2 hours after eating (even though my doctor told me NOT to because "you'll hurt your fingers too much". Ok, boo hoo) and I'm wondering which test - the 1 hr or 2 hr - is the more significant one, the one that I really need to watch. After breakfast this morning, my 1 hr. was 177 and the 2 hr. went down to 157. Obviously, the 2 hr is better, but which one is the one that really counts?
If you had to choose JUST ONE as the 'most important', then my opinion would be the 1hr spike, because it's indicative of what the carbs in the meal do to you, but both are important.

The 2hr reading should be showing a noticeable improvement and be working it's way close to normal levels. In some cases though my 2hr readings will be HIGHER than my 1hr reading... for me that was the case with pasta, which I eliminated from my diet.

It's also important to know what your PRE-MEAL level was too, Rosie. For example, if you were 145 before your breakfast, then 177 and 157 aren't huge spike readings. If you were 100, then that's another story.

It takes time for normally high BG's to work their way to normal levels, even when you adopt a low-carb and daily-exercise lifestyle.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you had to choose JUST ONE as the 'most important', then my opinion would be the 1hr spike, because it's indicative of what the carbs in the meal do to you, but both are important.

The 2hr reading should be showing a noticeable improvement and be working it's way close to normal levels. In some cases though my 2hr readings will be HIGHER than my 1hr reading... for me that was the case with pasta, which I eliminated from my diet.

It's also important to know what your PRE-MEAL level was too, Rosie. For example, if you were 145 before your breakfast, then 177 and 157 aren't huge spike readings. If you were 100, then that's another story.

It takes time for normally high BG's to work their way to normal levels, even when you adopt a low-carb and daily-exercise lifestyle.

Hi Beefy,

My morning number was 135. And this is going to sound really whiny but my god, the testing is doing a number on my fingers. When I test on the sides, I can't get a big enough bubble going and when I test on the pads, it hurts like hell for hours. I wish there was some easier way to do this. It's bad enough doing it twice after I eat, but to do it before as well just makes my head spin. I've tried icing my finger before testing but it doesn't help. Any advice?

·
Registered
633 Posts
You should get the One Youch Delica lancet device. Much less painful and pokes the smallest hole you won't know if it worked the first couple times you use it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You should get the One Youch Delica lancet device. Much less painful and pokes the smallest hole you won't know if it worked the first couple times you use it.

Thanks for that. My insurance over covers something from Bayer - Micro-something. If I cannot afford the One Touch, I'll try them.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The lancets are the cheapest part of being a diabetic. I rarely even change my lancet, maybe every few months or so. I use the Bayer lancing device and have no problem. Do you have it set on one of the lower settings? I like to wash my hands in warm water first, then I do a few arm exercises or massage my fingers to get blood flowing. Usint the lancing device against your finger, prick. Sometimes I need to apply a little pressure underneath the puncture site. I find different meters require different amounts of blood. I felt the One Touch used the most blood, and I got a lot of error reading on the strips. I now use the Contour USB meter and it uses just a tiny drop of blood. I have also heard the Delica is the best Lancing device. I think it is only $15 and I think their new meters may come with one free. The lancets are about $15 for 100. I checked them out but I still have several boxes of Contour lancets to use up first. As far as testing different people test at different times. A lot depends on whether you eat fast acting carbs, slow acting carbs or no carbs. Foods like pasta will give me a very low 1 and 2 hour number, but a very high 3 and 4 hour number. So sometime you have to do random tests to make sure your bgs are going back down. It takes a lot of trial and error so don't get discouraged. By the way most doctors don't feel Type 2's should test alot. My doctor told me to test twice a week.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The lancets are the cheapest part of being a diabetic. I rarely even change my lancet, maybe every few months or so. I use the Bayer lancing device and have no problem. Do you have it set on one of the lower settings? I like to wash my hands in warm water first, then I do a few arm exercises or massage my fingers to get blood flowing. Usint the lancing device against your finger, prick. Sometimes I need to apply a little pressure underneath the puncture site. I find different meters require different amounts of blood. I felt the One Touch used the most blood, and I got a lot of error reading on the strips. I now use the Contour USB meter and it uses just a tiny drop of blood. I have also heard the Delica is the best Lancing device. I think it is only $15 and I think their new meters may come with one free. The lancets are about $15 for 100. I checked them out but I still have several boxes of Contour lancets to use up first. As far as testing different people test at different times. A lot depends on whether you eat fast acting carbs, slow acting carbs or no carbs. Foods like pasta will give me a very low 1 and 2 hour number, but a very high 3 and 4 hour number. So sometime you have to do random tests to make sure your bgs are going back down. It takes a lot of trial and error so don't get discouraged. By the way most doctors don't feel Type 2's should test alot. My doctor told me to test twice a week.

I'm surprised you say that you only change the needle every few months. When I was talking to Bayer on the phone, the chickie who was guiding me through how to use the meter told me to change it after every three uses! I wonder if that's just to sell more of them....

I also use the Contour, since it's the first meter I've ever had to use I can't tell if it's good or not. I start Diabetes classes in two weeks and I'm supposed to get another meter issued then, so maybe it will be a different one. I'm not sure what you mean about "lowest settings" - the thing that I have just has a pull on the end of it reset the needle. I don't see any settings at all..

Attachments

·
Registered
633 Posts
The thumbnail you included says it is adjustuble. Most of them adjust by turning the very end of it where the needle comes out. On this device it is the only round part on it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The thumbnail you included says it is adjustuble. Most of them adjust by turning the very end of it where the needle comes out. On this device it is the only round part on it.

Oh, I see it. What does that do - does it make the needle a bit shorter so it doesn't hurt so much?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That's the best way to make it less painful. The needle won't go as far into your skin. You can set it on the setting that gets just enough blood for the test most of the time. I usually use mine on 4 out of 10. I can barely feel it usually.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have the Contour lancing device from the picture but I don't use it. I already had the Reli-On device with the ultra thin needles and it works so much better for me and usually no pain. The insurance makes me use the Contour (they pay for strips) meter but I still use the Reli-On lancing device and lancets.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I use the lancing device pictured with my Contour meter. I have mine set at the half-way mark as far as depth goes... some fingers hurt more than others, not sure why.

And I agree with the poster that mentioned washing the hands, having them warm, moving to have good blood-flow, etc., it certainly helps.

I change my lancet roughly once a week, depending on how much I test... I basically change it when I feel like it, or when it starts hurting more than it should . . . Bayer would, of course, want you to use as many lancets as possible . . .

Also of note, Rosie, regarding the spikes ... if your pre-breakfast number was 135, and your 1hr post-breakfast was 177, that's certainly a spike, but at only 42 points it's not obscene. If your pre-breakfast number were, say 95, your 1hr post would only be about 137, which means the carb you're reducing MAY be something you can add back into your diet (within reasonable limits) once your glucose levels stabilize lower...

The key is to get them as low as possible by eliminating as much carb as possible, then use your meter to determine what you can add back into the diet.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
On the countour lancet you showed there are adjustable settings. They look like blood drops from very tiny to very big. The very tiny is a shorter setting, the very big is a bigger setting. I use the same one. I don't know if it is because I am lazy or what but I rarely change the lancet.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the countour lancet you showed there are adjustable settings. They look like blood drops from very tiny to very big. The very tiny is a shorter setting, the very big is a bigger setting. I use the same one. I don't know if it is because I am lazy or what but I rarely change the lancet.

Yes, I found the settings and I put it on one of the lower ones and it made a big difference. Less pain and oddly enough, the blood bubbles are larger now, which makes it easier to test. Don't know why that happened, but I'm happy it did. Oops, time to test now!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know if it is because I am lazy or what but I rarely change the lancet.

But I wonder if not changing it often could affect the numbers? Like, if blood gets caked on the tip. But maybe its not enough blood to even worry about . . .

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I never change my lancet either, & my numbers stay disgustingly stable - fastings too high, all else nicely lower. If a bloody lancet could affect subsequent readings, then all my readings would be closer to my fastings - right? :confused:

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never change my lancet either, & my numbers stay disgustingly stable - fastings too high, all else nicely lower. If a bloody lancet could affect subsequent readings, then all my readings would be closer to my fastings - right? :confused:

Hmmm....considering I'm brand new at this, what's this about fastings? Should I be doing something like that?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts