The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek: I kind of feel awkward asking this question, but here goes. I also hope it is not too 'risque' for this site. I am male 50, 238 lbs, my lab work is "A+" my doctor says, EKG's are great, my blood pressure is a little high. I have noticed that in the past year my penis, in normal flaccid state, is smaller than when I was younger. I have very few erections and when I do, they are not nearly as firm or large as when I was younger. I know I should ask my doctor but I do feel embarrassed with him talking about ED. How about it guys, is this normal?

·
Registered
50 Posts
You know, the older I get, the more I realize that our bodies are all normal. There is nothing to be embarrassed about. Talk openly with your doctor. If he is over 35, there is a good chance he has had something too. Whether ED or whatever.
The worst thing you could do is NOT talk to your doctor.
Hope this helps :)
:eek: I kind of feel awkward asking this question, but here goes. I also hope it is not too 'risque' for this site. I am male 50, 238 lbs, my lab work is "A+" my doctor says, EKG's are great, my blood pressure is a little high. I have noticed that in the past year my penis, in normal flaccid state, is smaller than when I was younger. I have very few erections and when I do, they are not nearly as firm or large as when I was younger. I know I should ask my doctor but I do feel embarrassed with him talking about ED. How about it guys, is this normal?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i have a women doc i didn t know how to ask i just came out with.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Well I'm 45 and have some of the same issues, most notably the flaccid-state size difference and erection frequency.

Since diabetes does affect our blood vessels I'm positive it could have something to do with it. I haven't asked my Dr. either, but I'm hoping with weight loss and medication things get better... If not I'll certainly be asking.

And believe me, Dr's have heard it all. It may be embarrassing to you, but it's not to them. I spent 5 1/2 years working on an ambulance crew and you wouldn't believe the stuff that medical workers deal with... Your question will be absolutely within the realm of both "normal" and healthy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Had the same talk with my urologist

You mention you are 238 pounds. How tall are you? Are you overweight? Are you obese?? That might have to do with your problem.

My urologist is the head guy at the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center Dept. of Urology. Several months ago I had some blood in my urine so that is why I went to see a urologist.

I am fine. My prostate is small and it is fine.

While chatting with the doctor, I mentioned to him it seemed as if my penis, when in a "soft" or "flaccid" state appeared more wrinkly or shriveled. I asked him if that was normal in middle-aged guys. When erect it regains it's full size and length - so at least in my case that was not a problem. But it used to "swing" and it wasn't hanging long like when I was younger. :eek:

(On Dec. 20th I underwent bariatric surgery - the gastric bypass 'Roux-en-Y' procedure - as weight loss surgery. I was 215, but I only stand 5' 6 and 1/2" Tall ... my ideal weight should be about 140 - 145)

This is what the Urologist had to say: "Your penis, when not in a state of tumescence, appears smaller because of the belly fat just above it. The penis does not shrink or shrivel. It is the same size it was when you were 18. When you start losing weight because of your weight loss surgery you will start to notice it hang lower as before. Trust me."

Guess what????!!!!!:bounce:

Just six weeks after the procedure I am now down to 178 ... and it appears to be bigger and hanging lower than before!!! :p

I swear I am not making this up!!!! The doctor is right!!!!

If you don't believe me there are other testimonials in Obesityhelp.com -- go to the "Men's Lockerroom" thread!

But please note: it has not actually gotten bigger. It's the same d-ck I had for the past half century. It just appears bigger, more like when I was younger. That your erections are also diminished is something worth finding out about.

Good luck! :tea:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I am probably too young to get in on this conversation but I think Philly Bud has a point. When I started to lose weight, about 60 pounds so far in the last year, it looks much bigger than it did before.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is what the Urologist had to say: "Your penis, when not in a state of tumescence, appears smaller because of the belly fat just above it. The penis does not shrink or shrivel. It is the same size it was when you were 18. When you start losing weight because of your weight loss surgery you will start to notice it hang lower as before. Trust me."

Guess what????!!!!!:bounce:

Just six weeks after the procedure I am now down to 178 ... and it appears to be bigger and hanging lower than before!!! :p

I swear I am not making this up!!!! The doctor is right!!!!

If you don't believe me there are other testimonials in Obesityhelp.com -- go to the "Men's Lockerroom" thread!

But please note: it has not actually gotten bigger. It's the same d-ck I had for the past half century. It just appears bigger, more like when I was younger. That your erections are also diminished is something worth finding out about.

Good luck! :tea:
Very true. It also looks bigger when you slim down and also hangs better if you are neat there(if you know what I mean).

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Very true. It also looks bigger when you slim down and also hangs better if you are neat there(if you know what I mean).
you are so right .

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
L-Arginine is magical stuff, both for women and men. I take 5grams a day.

I also self adminster testosterone shots weekly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Talk to your doctor.. Why be embarrassed? You are paying for their professional help so use it. My GP is a female and I couldn't of asked for a more caring, aggressive, talented doctor (friend)

As others have said it could be as simple as loosing that belly.. Or you may need to seek out a urologist.

Your an aged and wise man.Be strong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts