The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I simply love pasta... even though pasta doesn't love diabetics. So, you can imagine how excited I was to come across the Dreamfields pasta products.

However, I have one question and I know someone out there has the answer. Please, if you can help, please comment.

On the front of the box there is a note that says" Digestible Carbs per Serving 5g. However, the Nutrition Facts show that Total Carbohydrates are 41g.

This seems to be a contradiction, and I need to know how much of the pasta I can actually eat without doing myself harm. After all, 41grams of Carbs is enough for a meal, or, more. And if this is a fact, than Dreamfields does not permit me me to enjoy my favorite food.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :pizza:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You're focusing on the wrong side of the package, Paul. The trick to Dreamfields is the cooking instructions. Turn the box around & read how long to cook it. Each shape has a different cooking time, so don't cook your macaroni by spaghetti directions. I've taken their instructions one better, and when I cook it, I deduct a full two minutes from the cooking time, because it's very likely that I'll be reheating it or using it in a pasta salad dish which will be eaten later. I have never had a spike using this method.

Until you have tried it by the exact directions, prob'ly good to stick to the recommended portion size, but in many months of using these products, I haven't spiked, regardless how much of it I eat.

You could use the search function for this forum and key in Dreamfields . . . you'll find many threads and posts about this product - many of us enjoy it regularly.

Just for starters:

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabet...has-anyone-tried-these-products.html#post8973

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/2102-fat-dog-casserole.html#post9122

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/2620-chicken-pasta-dreamfields-salad.html#post12972

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/2320-dreamfields-pasta-bake.html#post10619

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Shanny.... you are always there with great answers. This forum is blessed to have you. I appreciated the sites included.

My wife does cook them as suggested. I was simeply wondering what does 5g of digestible carbs mean versus 41g on the Nutrition Facts. Which number do I believe when it comes to portion size???

Can you answer this seemingly contradiction of terms ??

Thanks, and I'll wait to hear from you.

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Are you trying to decide how to bolus or just resolve this contradiction? Breeze can tell you more about getting the bolus since she was testing this just last week.

As far as this supposed contradiction, here is a blurb from David Mendoza, who interviewed Dr. Jon Anfinsen, the inventor of the process:

One carbohydrate expert speculated that the Dreamfields Pasta must contain a large amount of resistant starch or other kinds of dietary fiber. No, that isn’t they way they did it, says Dr. Jon Anfinsen.

The technology behind Dreamfields Pasta results in most of the carbohydrate grams becoming “protected” or non-digestible, Dr. Anfinsen tells me. It “involves molecular interactions that help block the enzyme from attacking the carbohydrate starch granule. It is not encapsulated. We have basically creating the situation where there is a matrix more or less that has a tendency to attract the enzyme to the matrix and not the carbohydrate.”
These non-digestible carbohydrates aren’t counted as fiber, but they “start to act as fiber in the colon,” Dr. Anfinsen says. “They perform just like any other fiber in the colon; whether it be a soluble or an insoluble fiber that is fermented, it acts the same.”

Tim Dodd, CEO of Dakota Growers Pasta Company in Carrington, North Dakota, another partner in the Dreamfields venture, describes the process somewhat differently. He says they make the pasta in four shapes — spaghetti, elbows, penne rigate, and linguine — from enriched durum semolina, the coarse flour made from durum wheat. A 52-gram (2 ounce) serving of Dreamfields Pasta still includes 42 grams of total carbohydrates, he says, but 37 are rendered non-digestible by a “fiber blend” process for which a patent is pending. The process leaves only 5 digestible carbs per serving, Dodd says.
Source:

Now you have two explanations . . . does it help at all?

p.s. The box of macaroni I'm looking at right now says the recommended serving size is 56g/1/2 cup (dry). Look for it at the very top of the nutrition listing; it may be different for different shapes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The haze is beginning to clear... thanks for keeping on top of my question and getting me an answer. All of this has helped me to better understand how to properly use Dreamfields. BTW. Storing extra cooked pasta and reheating another day explains why I've been spiking.

Thanks so very much!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Storing extra cooked pasta and reheating another day explains why I've been spiking.
Yep - that's why I deduct the two minutes when I first cook it - because it's almost guaranteed that I'll be using at least some of it later, and deducting from the original cooking gives it a coupla minutes yet to go, for the reheating.

Everlovin' husband is asking for more chicken pasta salad, so I'll be roasting another chicken & fixing more Dreamfields this week!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have tried dreamfields pasta with no affect on my blood sugar! Thank God, i love pasta

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I get great 2 hour numbers with Dreamfields around 103 but the 3 , 4. and 5 hour numbers are terrible. My bgs stay low for 2 hours but as the pasta digest I rise to 180 or higher. Also it is best to cook it al dente. Overcooking it destroys the coating, as does reheating it the next day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts