The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm eating low carb as an FYI when typing this...

yesterday I had a whole days worth of food/Easter to boot, so had a decent amount of food, low carb of course. 3 hours after that meal my blood sugar was 86! Horray.

Today, I had only 2 eggs and 3 strips of bacon again I'm low carb, and 3 hours later my sugar was 104?!

What's that about? I guess I'm completely uneducated and being so "new" to pre-diabetes, I thought I'd ask, but I really need to do some research on it.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Keep in mind even the protein in the eggs/bacon can be converted to glucose (although only some of it will be) through a process called gluconeogenesis.

That being said, 104 is an excellent after-meal number. Although I'd test 1hr or 2hrs after meals, instead of 3.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Whitty1 said:
I'm eating low carb as an FYI when typing this...

yesterday I had a whole days worth of food/Easter to boot, so had a decent amount of food, low carb of course. 3 hours after that meal my blood sugar was 86! Horray.

Today, I had only 2 eggs and 3 strips of bacon again I'm low carb, and 3 hours later my sugar was 104?!

What's that about? I guess I'm completely uneducated and being so "new" to pre-diabetes, I thought I'd ask, but I really need to do some research on it.
Check the bacon...it could have sugar in it

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The first year of my diabetes I used to get huge bg spikes when I was barely eating. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on. Then I learned about liver dumps. Many times if our body perceives we aren't eating enough, it signals liver to add glucose to system. 104 after a meal is still a good number, I really wouldn't worry. The one thing about diabetes is it is always different. I remember last New Year's Eve I went out and really pigged out and ate a lot of food fairly late. The next morning I had my lowest fasting yet. Go figure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts