The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
When I was diagnosed last year I had a Bayer ascensia contour meter which I liked. My insurance company this year told me to get a different meter of which they gave several suggestions. I picked a freestyle lite. After using up all the strips from my orginal meter I have now started my new freestle lite. On the am of my last blood work my meter read 105 which is high for me. The blood work, however, said 85 which is no big deal since I know changes occur all the time. This am it read 105 again so i checked with the solution and the solution read 103. Would you say that my meter running high numbers then?
Barb

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, I am having trouble understanding your post. By "blood work" do you mean blood taken from you arm at a lab setup in your community? Or do you mean a test taken at home with your meter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, I am having trouble understanding your post. By "blood work" do you mean blood taken from you arm at a lab setup in your community? Or do you mean a test taken at home with your meter?
Hello. I was referring to the blood work at the lab. I did end up calling the manufacturer of the meter who informed me basically that the meter was accurate and just deal with it. But for my peace of mind next time I get my labs done and will check with my meter within 10 minutes beforehand (they are good about things like that) and check for myself. Thanks anyway for your effort and courtesy in responding to me.
Barb

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Barb, my lab report always gives a fasting reading that runs 10-15 points lower than my meter. I use the Free Style Lite like you . In June my meter read 82 and I felt great. The lab report said I was 69. My doctor thinks I run too low when I get my blood checked. If I was really 69 I would have felt low, I am always able to feel a low in the low 70's or high 60's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Barb, my lab report always gives a fasting reading that runs 10-15 points lower than my meter. I use the Free Style Lite like you . In June my meter read 82 and I felt great. The lab report said I was 69. My doctor thinks I run too low when I get my blood checked. If I was really 69 I would have felt low, I am always able to feel a low in the low 70's or high 60's.
I guess that I will just calm down and go on with my life. My old meter was more accurate. That was really sweet of you to answer my questions nicely. Thanks again.
Barb

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
There is always the possibility that the lab gives whole blood mumbers. The Free Style meter give blood plasma numbers. Blood plasma gives higher results than whole blood. That is what I have been thinking might explain my situation, and maybe yours too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Would you say that my meter running high numbers then?
Barb

Hi Barb, from what I can glean, its absolutely impossible to find out if a meter is accurate. There is nothing overly accurate about the equipment used in the labs either. They meet standards that are set at 20%, and that is all you can expect.

I have used Freestyle, Contour, and Ultra Mini, and they all seem to give slightly different readings.

When I got my A1c test, they used a meter on my finger to see my fasting BG. Being a newbie I didn't recognize it, but I watched it pop up with a 109, and when the complete results came back, it said my fasting BG was 124. Didn't get me off to a very positive start.

I spent a bit of time wondering if my choice of the One Touch Ultra Mini was a good idea, but that is what the insurance pays the strips for, so I use it. Now, I simply use it to monitor trends. I believe the meters will be consistent, but accurate is asking too much for such an inexpensive, throw away device.

I use it to tell me that some food will raise my numbers 40 points, or 20 points, or barely at all. Beyond that, I don't think the meters we use are of any other value. The A1c is even questionable in my mind.

You see, what ticks me off the most is that our meters, and even the lab tests, cannot be dead on perfect, but when you ask a "diabetes doctor, or expert" they will tell you that damage occurs whenever you exceed 140. No slop in that number. Its 140. That makes no sense, statistically.

Consider your meter to be kind of like your car's temperature gauge. It may not be dead on accurate, but when its pointing to that normal place, you are okay. Its when the needle moves up that you have to take steps to get it back down. Same with the meter.

I consider it a very inexact science, as there is no "standard" meter of perfection, and no way to compare your's with it.

Remember, time, weight or a measurement can be verified against established standards, that are validated and accepted. We have no such way to track BG levels. Neither do our doctors.

Don't obsess :) Stress raises BG levels. Do you best, and be happy we have something to help us along the way.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts