The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past five or six months, I have discovered that my novolog is losing its strength after 20 days of use, contrary to the 28 days the manufacturer recommends.

Somewhere around day 20 and 21, my BGN start to creep up and over the 120 maximum. In fact, they usually reach and hold at the mid 100's. Once I open a new bottle the numbers are again back down to the 80 to 120 ranges.

My question to you: Have you found the same loss of potency in the open bottle of Novolog?

PS: I haven't been around because I'm currently working on my third book, which I hope to have out on POD by December. I'll probably return to the forum regularly, in early 2011. I miss all of you, and look forward to getting my life back, but when the spirit leads, I know I need to respond.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would have to wonder how you are storing the vial after it has been opened. If you are having high heat (above 86 degrees F) because of the weather, then it may well lose its potency before 28 days from opening. Since mine are used within 14 days, I do not have this problem. A friend does keep his in the refrigerator between each use and it seems to be effective for 35 days for him. He has said that he has no BG increases after 28 days, but I am taking him at his word. I do leave mine out of the refrigerator once I open it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a Combination...

I would have to wonder how you are storing the vial after it has been opened. If you are having high heat (above 86 degrees F) because of the weather, then it may well lose its potency before 28 days from opening. Since mine are used within 14 days, I do not have this problem. A friend does keep his in the refrigerator between each use and it seems to be effective for 35 days for him. He has said that he has no BG increases after 28 days, but I am taking him at his word. I do leave mine out of the refrigerator once I open it.
I store them in the fridge, even before they are opened. However, I do go out several times a week, and take the vial along with me in case we grab something to eat.

Thanks for your comments.

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Over the past five or six months, I have discovered that my novolog is losing its strength after 20 days of use, contrary to the 28 days the manufacturer recommends.

Somewhere around day 20 and 21, my BGN start to creep up and over the 120 maximum. In fact, they usually reach and hold at the mid 100's. Once I open a new bottle the numbers are again back down to the 80 to 120 ranges.

My question to you: Have you found the same loss of potency in the open bottle of Novolog?

PS: I haven't been around because I'm currently working on my third book, which I hope to have out on POD by December. I'll probably return to the forum regularly, in early 2011. I miss all of you, and look forward to getting my life back, but when the spirit leads, I know I need to respond.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul
Paul, you might want to make sure that your insulin to carb ratio is correct. One time I thought that there was something wrong with my vial of novolog and I opened a new vial, but that didn't solve the problem. Just a thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts