The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have a day here and there and splurge out and eat what they wanna eat?
Just asking because I was at the video shop hiring a movie and I really wanted to get a bag of peanut m n m's. But thought nar better not I'm on insulin now and I have been real good lately trying to keep my BSL down.
I know this is pretty random but just want other people's thoughts on this.

Sent from Lisa's iPhone using Diabetes App

G

·
well I see the occasional treat as Ok Lisa... my endo and my GP encourage this too. You just need to factor in your treat with everything else you're eating in that day. I wouldn't recommend an entire day of splurging... that will totally muck up your BGLs. But the occasional treat is fine. I usually don't do the "I don't eat that I'm diabetic thing" when I'm around others at a function. I try and eat well as I can though... but if desert or something is offered I just have a smaller portion of it. I may have the occasional chocolate (which is low GI anyhow). Just make sure your diet is generally healthy and good for you. I know there will be people who will say "no way don't ever eat anything you're not allowed"... but good luck to them as they obviously have perfect will power... then again I'm sure if they took a closer look there would be something they'd consider a treat in their diet anyhow. This is just my opinion... enjoy with caution basically.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I would never take an entire day and go crazy... I don't think that would be healthy at all, and would certainly cause toxic glucose levels for me.

I will, however, have the occasional treat - and I believe if you don't you're likely to "fall off the wagon" big-time at some point.

If you're eating a candy bar or similar, then Peanut M&M's are actually one of the better treats as a diabetic (compared to ... say ... jelly beans). 10 of them have barely 100 calories, over 5g of fat, about 2g of protein and about 10g of sugar. As such, they don't spike as much as other sugary snacks would.

You won't know exactly what they do to you without testing, but I was able to have 10 pieces during a movie yesterday without impact. (I also worked-out heavily before the movie, which may have contributed to my better blood glucose numbers, so that's something you can look at prior to a treat also, if it works for you...)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The question you asked and the situation you described strike me as two different things, Lisa. Planning a splurge day is not the same as feeling an urge to grab a bag of candy during a shopping trip, and I think it's the sudden impulses we need to defend against. I had a splurge myself yesterday - a planned one, and a BIG one. It was my 66th birthday & my everlovin' took me to dinner at our favorite restaurant. Let's just say several components of my meal were "splurges" beginning with a large margarita & ending with chocolate cake (a freebie from the restaurant). But because I'm usually very strict - I DON'T plan regular splurge days or even splurge meals - I got by with it, and my fasting this morning showed not a flicker from what I'd eaten for supper (I'm not on insulin, so however high I send my BG, I'm stuck with it!).

Since you ARE on insulin, the other issue you face is that continuing to eat carbs just because you can cover them with extra insulin, will prob'ly eventually result in weight gain. This dang disease gets us coming AND going! :(

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think all diabetics at one time or another have given in to their cravings and gone for the candy or chips. When I do that I find my bgs will be higher for several days. So I really try not to do it too often. I am getting better at avoiding those cravings but certain smells like popcorn popping or fresh pizza baking seem to trigger a craving.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I had a Dr. tell me once Not to deprive myself. Just be smart about it. In my case, deprevation can lead to serious cravings and "oh screw it" moments that can last days. If I really want a little something, I have it but just a little... enough to calm the craving.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I guess its allright to splurge once in a while but the feeling itself is so additctive one ends up doing with slightest excuse like, lots of work to do, so can burn the calories, or BGs are not high etc. Its better to plan your diet and change it according to the BGs. All doctors now say its no good to deprive the self, but I think its easy to maintain healthy relation with BGs and diet for longer life.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
No, never.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have worked regular food in my diet, so I never need a splurge day.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Splurge Day?

I agree with the others. All of us will find ourselves in situations where there is the tendency to have something that is not on our normal diet. Personally, I see nothing wrong with what Shanny said, sans the alcohol. We are all going to have special occasions that may encourage us to eat things that are not on our diet, and that means you will have to adjust your insulin to counter the added carbs.

You need to keep in mind that when you break your diet, there will, at times, be a price to pay. For me, splitting a banana split with my wife after a dinner out means that my next few tests may reflect an increase in the BS. :boom:

However, I'd have to say, go for it. It won't add that many more days to your life to be "good" all the time! That is my opinion, of course. All things have to be done in moderation, and with forethought.

Enjoy those M&M's, they sound good to me, but, so does a Krispie Kreme donut, or a Dairy Queen Peanutbutter Parfait! :peace:
Shalom,

Pastor Paul :amen:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts