The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone explain why my bg continues to go up after my two hour breakfast check. I will eat a low carb breakfast and test after two hours. Then two hours after that, or right before lunch I will test again. I have not eaten a thing and had very little to drink between tests, but my bg still will go up. For example, on Sat. i woke up and my fasting was 118. I had breakfast that was about 15 g of carbs ( a lot for breakfast, but i had people over ) and 2 hours later I was 144. 2 hours after that, without any food at all and only small amount of water i was 151.
This happens most days and only after breakfast. any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Others more knowledgeable than I will weigh in, but I can think of two possibilities:

1. Meter error range of 10-20%
2. Carbs you have in the AM are complex not simple. Complex carbs raise bg slower and can show up hours later whereas simple carbs peak rather quickly.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Another possibility is that, like a great many of us, you are much more carb-sensitive earlier in the day. I don't eat ANY carbs in the morning. Even a WASA cracker that wouldn't cause me a flicker at dinner, can do a fair amount of damage in the morning.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
There are many reasons. First with the margin of error those are about the same bg. Another reason is Dawn Phenomenom. It starts in the morning but for some of us it continues well until noon. As Shanny says this is the reason most of us eat very lowcarb or no carb breakfasts. I also take 2 doses of my metformin in the morning. One when I wake up and one around 10:30. This helps with some of the late morning spikes I get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts