The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Can I still have coffee or would that raise my blood to high
Coffee itself shouldn't raise your bs. It's what you put in it that would make a difference.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Caffeine does raise BG.

what is too high?
what is your BG before you drink the coffee

basically its carbs that raise BG

The only way to find out is with a meeter test before coffee test after coffee.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I mostly take my coffee black. So far, no spike from it. My guess is, it's one of those manymany things we each need to test on ourselves.

Reactions: Wink

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
A lot of us suffer from DP ( dawn phenomenom). That means our bgs tend to be higher in the morning anyway. I've done experiments with coffee and without it. I find it doesn't matter I still get a small spike in the morning. I even did an all day fast once and my bgs continued to rise until about 2 pm before starting to fall. There are a few who may be super sensitive and get a huge spike and for those they should avoid coffee or bolus for it with insulin.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I don't get any BG rise from coffee and I sometimes drink 3 or 4 cups in the mornings. Some people say they get a rise from coffee, tea, diet soda or anything else that has caffeine in it. I do not but it would not hurt to test this for yourself. The only way you know is to test.

G

·
Personally I enjoy 2 cups of coffee everyday (well most days). If it's going to really spike you, then you may want to keep away from it. I use a dash of milk myself and I'm fine. Others here I know use cream instead of milk as it has higher fat content. If you like your coffee, you will find a way to still enjoy it I reckon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts