The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, How do I eat something for meals that doesn't sacrifice everything I enjoy eating with out eating the same thing every day? I did that for 4 years and it is so boring. Here are my 'bad' foods that I can't eat anymore: Breakfast-cereal, bread, oatmeal, pancakes, french toast, waffles, milk; lunch- Lean Quisine, cream of mushroom soup, toasted cheese sandwiches, mac and cheese, tomato soup; Dinner- Noodles, Potatoes, Stuffing, Caseroles, Alfredo, (anything yummy). It HAS to taste like food, or I won't be able to force it down.

Help, please? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Most of the rest of us can't eat those things either. Here is a link to a post I made when someone asked what they should be eating. And as I said in that post, there is a substitute for most of the foods we use to eat.

Be sure to check out the recipe section here. I posted one for a great tasting pizza, and southwest deviled eggs that are spicy and delish, and there are other good recipes there. If you look for recipes online, look for low carb, not diabetic recipes because those are too high in carbs.

Lots of diabetics make their own low carb pancakes, waffles, bread, etc. Or you can buy Carbquik (a low carb version of Bisquick) at Netrition.com They also sell many other good products. I use the Walden Farms pancake, strawberry and chocolate syrups, and the Walden Farms fruit spread comes in several flavors, and all Walden Farms products have zero carbs and calories. No matter how much you order, they only charge $4.95 shipping and handling.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Then you would be Mrs. Green, eh? Been lookin' for you & sure glad to meet you! :wave: Welcome to DF!

I haven't found reasonable facsimiles for everything you're missing, but I've filled in the blanks on a few of 'em . . . like breakfast cereal for instance. By mixing chopped nuts of various kinds (slivered almonds, walnuts, pecans, sunflower seeds, shredded unsweetened coconut, sesame seeds, etc.), I have a really hearty cold cereal that fills me up more like Grape-nuts used to - very dense & filling. I also use
GG bran crispbread for a toast-like bread and if I crumble one of those GG "crackers" in with the nuts, it adds even more cereal-like texture. Since I don't use milk either, I dilute heavy cream with a little water & use it like milk. A coupla drops of liquid splenda & I'm good. If you can tolerate a few berries without spiking, sprinkle on some blueberries or raspberries, etc. (maybe this covers your milk problem too - I use diluted cream in all the gravies & sauces where I used to use milk. In fact, you could try making mushroom & tomato soups with diluted cream too - I haven't done it, but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work just fine)

For pancakes I use
Beefy's pancake recipe, tweaking it sometimes & sometimes not. (read the whole thread for more ideas too, about toppings & other tweaks)

For several of those pasta choices (mac/cheese, alfredo, etc.) you might try Dreamfields pastas. It doesn't work for everyone, but so far I can get by with it. Cooking time is the key, and I'm meticulous in timing it - I actually deduct a full two minutes from the designated cooking time, to make sure it's truly under-cooked. I've been successful even reheating it, because I leave it so under-cooked. Otherwise, it tastes to me just like any pasta & it comes as elbows, lasagne, spaghetti, rotini, penne, etc. Can't promise it'll work for you, but it works for me.

As Gizmo says, prowl our recipes board & you'll discover the rest of us are just as fanatic as you about having food that
TASTES like food!

Here's one more substitute, & it'll prob'ly take some effort to wrap your head around it, but see what you think - it sure works for me:
http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/4125-scalloped-green-bananas-mcs.html#post26981 and http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/4138-faux-potato-salad.html#post27095

Ok, How do I eat something for meals that doesn't sacrifice everything I enjoy eating with out eating the same thing every day? I did that for 4 years and it is so boring. Here are my 'bad' foods that I can't eat anymore: Breakfast-cereal, bread, oatmeal, pancakes, french toast, waffles, milk; lunch- Lean Quisine, cream of mushroom soup, toasted cheese sandwiches, mac and cheese, tomato soup; Dinner- Noodles, Potatoes, Stuffing, Caseroles, Alfredo, (anything yummy). It HAS to taste like food, or I won't be able to force it down.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think we all have lists very similar to yours that we can't eat, if we want good near normal bgs. The first thing to remember is keeping a normal bg level is very important to your health and avoiding complications. Once I learned about the diabetic complications that occur when you eat a high carb diet, it made making those low carb choices so much easier. I deal with the issue by making those low carb foods taste good. For everything on your list there is a low carb alternative you can make. You can make your own bread with flaxseed and almond flour. You can make your own cereal with flaxseed. There are low carb breads and tortillas out there that you can make your own grilled cheese out of. Pasta is a little trickier. I use Shiratake noodles or julienne zuchinni or squash. Some even use a bed of cabbage for noodles. For potatoes many use cauliflower or butternut squash and puree it. There are tons of low carb and gluten free blogs out there with great tasting foods. All you need to do is experiment.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
206 Posts
:pizza: I think I'm the biggest carb addict on the planet... :pizza:

I've been low carbing on and off for years now, with more or less success. I was always on the look out for alternatives to what I like the most. I fell off the wagon so many times I could write a book about it! Bottom line : I was in denial. And my meter was my enemy.

I love all the foods you mentioned in your post. I can think of delicious wonderful recipes for all of those! But for me, it's over. I can't have those anymore. I've learned that even when I am doing extremely well, a tiny bit of rice will send me right back to square one. Amazing how very little it takes to fall of the wagon but it takes so much out of me to get back on track... I don't have that strength anymore. Getting back on track feels like climbing Everest in high heels. What if one day I just don't have the will to conquer again? I now consider myself in a mourning process . I have to accept I can't have those foods anymore. :rip:

Diabetes is a journey. One hell of a ride let me tell you...!

On a happier note I am rewiring my brain. I try new recipes. I use lots of herbs, and spices. When I'm having a hard day I just keep it simple and healthy and keep new recipes for when I feel up to it. Mind you, the first week I started low carbing yet again I wanted to strangle anything with a pulse. It passes. And yes I do have cravings now and again. Less and less though! And a craving doesn't last long anyway. I do something physical and far far away from the kitchen. It seems to help.

Support is also vital. I'm the only one with diabetes. My husband is a carb addict and will not change his habits. In his mind a meal without potatoes, rice or pasta isn't a meal. He needs dessert after a meal or he'll make a bee line for the Nutella jar. I tested his blood oh so many times. He's never over 6 mmol/L! :jaw:

So I get my support here. Most of the time I don't need to post. Reading from other people helps tremendously too. Members posting different things just don't know how much they've helped me in the past few weeks! I also try not to dwell too much on the fact I can't have this or that anymore.

So this is my experience so far.

Take good care! :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think the way you need to look at it, is that it is kind of like a food allergy. If you ate peanuts and they caused you to stop breathing you would not eat them. We need to think of certain carbs the same way. Except carbs have a more sublte side effect, they spike us very high. Let your bg meter be your guide to what you can eat safely.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think the way you need to look at it, is that it is kind of like a food allergy. If you ate peanuts and they caused you to stop breathing you would not eat them.
I like that example! :)

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When you start to eat real food like the Chicken with Mushroom sauce and pair it with some green veggies or salad, you don't miss the rice or pasta anymore. The problem with most starchy foods is the serving size is so small, usually 2 ounces that it is very easy to overeat. Most restaurants serve 4 or 5 times the serving of pasta or rice which brings us to dangerous carb levels. I have also found I can make my own crackers, chips and all sorts of food that doesn't spike me. There are also a few brands of crackers ( WASA and GG Brancrisps) that don't spike me. There are also some low carb breads and tortillas that are very bg friendly ( Schewbels and Flat Out Tortillas). Use these things to make all your old favorites.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was just wondering... could it be that a high carb diet actually messes up your taste buds? Meats, and veggies just don't taste the same now that I've been low carbing since mid July. They taste better! Or is it just my imagination? I like herbs and spices and oh my goodness! Does it ever taste good.

And now of course I need to try that chicken with mushroom sauce :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yeah, when I think I'm craving something carby and then I finally have it? It doesn't taste good to me anymore.

And, if you think about it, a lot of carbs are bland and vehicles for other things... would you eat pasta, rice, bread, potatoes without anything on them? Instead, the veggies I use to sub for my fav carbs have flavor on their own and ADD to the overall dish.

I find I really don't miss carbs at all once I got past the initial withdrawal. Hubby is talking about bringing home pizza tomorrow and I honestly don't want it. Our pizza on portobello mushrooms had so much more flavor than regular pizza.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts

Help, please? Thanks in advance.
One of the things I do is try to find substitutes, or eat LESS of an item while also doing something that mitigates the spike (such as both before and after-meal exercise.)

I can have breakfast cereal, oatmeal, even pancakes or waffles if I do so approximately 45 minutes PRIOR to a 2-3 hour exercise activity (This advice goes for ANY food you want, really... I personally most-often do this for breakfasts though...) Give it enough time post-meal that digestion starts (but not that you spike high), then exercise at a level moderate enough to allow digestion to continue while at the same time burning the glucose that enters the system. You don't want to exercise TOO HARD during these times, or it will interfere with digestion.

There's also good pancake substitutes in many recipe sections of this forum, and some low-carb forums/sites.

For cream-of-mushroom soup, could you not make your own?

For potatoes - I make and eat potato skins instead of potato... Bake a potato, let it cool, halve it lengthwise, scoop out all the starch (I leave about 1/8" of potato flesh in with the skin) then fill with bacon-bits, cheese, green onion/scallion, maybe even a little low-carb bbq sauce... Very yummy, fills the potato craving, lets me eat with the others when they have potato, and doesn't spike me.

Those are just some ideas, anyway...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts