The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just got diagnosed with type 1. Im 21 yrs old, im a big guy im 6-3. Two weeks ago b4 i was diagnosed, i would eat 3-4000 calories a day..ive cut down alot now.

Im eating 90% protein recently, and it seems to be working. I only eat 1-2 slices of whole rye bread (15g carb each) but im craving more with all that meat. Is there anything u suggest I can eat with meat with very low or no carbs to substitute the bread??
Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like to eat rice or potatoes with my meat.
Seems to work good for me.
How much insulin are you taking?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My doc has me on 12 units 25/75 twice a day..it is not enough..thats really enough for 2 slices of bread a day. I would love to eat rice or potatoes but it sends my sugar through the roof

·
Registered
34 Posts
Interesting. I got Humalog and take 4 units before a 70g Carb meal.
Lets say the numbers are always lower after the meal than before...
Not sure how that 25/75 mixture works though.
Like I said, I'm new to this stuff too.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm type2, not type1 - so you can take what I say with a grain of salt...

but ...

I fill up on fibrous veggies. Although you can bolus for rice, potatoes, etc., I find that leafy green salads, or raw veggies like broccoli/carrots, etc. (I usually eat my raw veggies with dip) will help fill me without spiking my BG's.

I too eat a lot - usually between 3,600 and 4,200 calories a day, depending on how much exercise I'm getting. Most of my diet is protein and fat. Only about 10-15% of my calories come from carbohydrate.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Your Doctor is about 15 to 20 years behind the most effective treatments. You need to start counting carbs right away and establish an insulin to carb ratio for every meal. You should be on a 4 shot a day regiment at minimum. The best advice I can give you is to buy the book, Think like a Pancreas. It is all about using insulin. Taking insulin and doing it effectively is truely more of an art than a science. There are many factors that need to be taken into consideration and some times we get right and sometimes we don't but we want to get it right more than we don't get it wrong. So don't let carbs become your enemy. Learn how to dose for them and you can eat whatever you want whenever you want it.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Don't forget to include fats in your meals. When we eliminate the carbs, it's good to increase fats, and it does NOT create a risk of heart problems, as the pseudo-experts have hollared about all these years. Just have a salad with a rich creamy bleu cheese dressing (hold the croutons), or some grilled asparagus with real bona fide hollandaise sauce (meaning it doesn't come from a bottle or a packet - it's made with authentic dairy butter, egg & lemon juice!)

Since you must use insulin anyhow, it's easy to rely on the usual sides like rice or potato & just cover them with your bolus, but if you notice weight gain or as vlad says - difficulty keeping your BG within safe parameters, curbing the starchier carbs is a good idea.

Adjitater has a real understanding of these issues, so you'll want to look for his posts.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
You have been given great advice about counting carbs. Most Type 1's use a long acting basal insulin and a fast acting insulin at meals to cover carbs. You shouldn't be cutting your calories but rearranging them. Many type 1's adjust their insulin to include some bread, potatoes and a little rice. I know a lot of people have had problem with the mixed insulins.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone, this forum is awsome. Iv been looking for something like this to surround myself with ppl going through wat i am. I have had a hunch my doc has me on tha wrong insulin. I hav an appointment with an endocrinologist, im gonna have him change it. Its nuts that fuxl takes 4 units and eats 70g..
Do u guys always keep ur bg under 200? Or does it spike sometimes?

·
Registered
633 Posts
There are very few type 1 diabetics that don't get spikes of some kind. The truth is that you will spike every time you eat. And it doesn't matter what you eat it will cause a rise in blood glucose. For us it is just a matter of when it is going rise. Could be 1 hour to 5 hours after I eat depending on what I ate. It is just about timing of when you take your insulin and where you start at. The part that is hard is that it is different for everyone. What I do more than likely wont work for you in the same way but could be tweeked to work for you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone, this forum is awsome. Iv been looking for something like this to surround myself with ppl going through wat i am. I have had a hunch my doc has me on tha wrong insulin. I hav an appointment with an endocrinologist, im gonna have him change it. Its nuts that fuxl takes 4 units and eats 70g..
Do u guys always keep ur bg under 200? Or does it spike sometimes?
Here is what my doctor told me to do, maybe it helps a bit.
So he's got me on Lantus for the Basal Insulin. Normal dose would be 10 units every evening. But we started at 8 just to be safe. After two weeks I even dropped it down to 7 units, because my morning BG numbers were too low.

Then I use the Humalog as quick acting insulin.
Normally 3 units before Breakfast, 4 units before Lunch and Dinner.
I guess I take 50g Carbs for Breakfast and 70g each for Lunch and Dinner.

I went to a Diabetes Nutritionist, and she came up with the Carb Choices I should eat per day. That 15 choices over the whole day, or 225g of carbs.

Seems to work pretty good for me, but sometimes when I know I eat something low or high carb I adjust for it before I eat.

Every time I check my BG and it's low I would just eat a little snack.
But you'll have to find out for yourself how that will work for you.

How often do you check your BG?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Everyones insulin needs will be different so there is not one forumula that will fit everyones profile. That is why mixed insulins are insufficient most of the time. When you go on 2 types of insulin you will have to work with your doctor to figure out your specific needs for each type. Sometimes this takes lots of experimentation until you get the basal or background insulin just right to keep you stable when you are not eating. You will also learn to count specific carbs at meals. You will figure out what your carb:insulin ratio is. It may even change at different times of the day. It is almost like playing detective sometimes. Although you can't prevent all spikes by matching insulin to what you eat you should be able to keep bgs under 140 after meals.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im gonna talk to my endocrinologist tomoro and ask him to switch me where i take my background and fast acting insulin seperatly. Fuxl im testing 4-6 times a day. Yesyerday was my best day, i started at 258, was at 113 after lunch and 117 after dinner. Butvi only had like 50g of carbs all day :S and im realllyyy starting to crave "real" food..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts