The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I know when I can come off my meds and tackle this thing head on with diet and exercise?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'd think if your numbers are where you want them, you could try easing back on meds and see what happens. The worst that can happen is that your numbers tick up and you go back on meds for a while before trying again. Is it metformin you're taking?

I take 500mg XR metformin x4 - and personally would/will start by dropping one of them, then 2 ...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd think if your numbers are where you want them, you could try easing back on meds and see what happens. The worst that can happen is that your numbers tick up and you go back on meds for a while before trying again. Is it metformin you're taking?

I take 500mg XR metformin x4 - and personally would/will start by dropping one of them, then 2 ...
I am on 1 pill a day of metformin. Half at breakfast and half at dinner. Along with aspirin and ramapril.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I see that your A1c has gone down from 9.7 in March to 6.3 in August (got that number from another post). You are doing great.

My first A1c was 6.0 Mr. Gizmo's was 6.7 and the doc didn't put either of us on meds, we are both controlling with diet and exercise. So I believe your bg is low enough for you to try some experimenting as moon suggested.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a blood scheduled for the end of the month. If that comes back good i am going to ask. Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have blood test scheduled for the ebd of the month. If that comes back good i am going to ask.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I'm with the Giz and Moon on this one. The ramipril and aspirin are for your heart and you'll be on those for a long time if not forever. As for the metformin, since you are exercising good control, you can try to reduce by half at first and if your numbers remain good then try removing the other half.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds good to me. So cut down to half a pill a day first. I think I will try that once I talk to my doc. I would like to try it and get off meds for as long as I can. So reversing diabetes is a myth correct?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Regardless of reversing or not, I cant go back to my old lifestyle. I wwas brutal before. Bag of chips.everynight and a few cans of pop a day. Fats food 5 times a week. I was bad.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It really depends what your HbA1c goals were. I was not satisfied with 6.0, I would rather be closer to normal in the 5.0 range. So I stay on Metformin, the maximum dose to achieve that. I seem to be very insulin resistant and the metformin helps me become more sensitive to my own insulin, which for me is a good thing. I don't believe diabetes can be reversed, but it can be managed. I am already eating pretty low carb and if I went off metformin I doubt I could eat anything without a spike. I have also lost all my weight and that really didn't help me with my IR. I think metformin has a lot of positive properties, such as cancer prevention, which I like.

·
Registered
206 Posts
So reversing diabetes is a myth correct?
It is. I held on so long to that wonderful amazing idea that diabetes could be reversed. Little did I know, I was in full denial mode back then. You have diabetes, you have it until your last breath. Doesn't mean you can't strive to do well or even do extremely well. But diabetes will never go away. Ever. Long life companion. :fencing:

'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer!' Works with diabetes too! :cool:

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
This disease is a real drain sometimes.

You CAN gt off the Met, but you must have near perfect control. No cheating, ever.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts