The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I am a 54 year old who was diagnosed with T2 Diabetes in June of this year with FBG of 145-177 and and AIC of 7.2. Almost everyone in my family has T2, and I had gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies, so I expected it at some point.

I am having some frustrating experiences with controlling my diabetes but I am very motivated to do so. I have some specific concerns. Here is my story.

I was slightly overweight but exercised daily. When diagnosed I was put on 1000 mg metformin. I increased my activity level and carefully watched my diet. After one month, I lost 7 pounds but my morning BG were still running 145 and my A1C went to 7.5! (That part I do not understand!) Dr increased met to 1500 mg.

At that point I seemed to do a lot better, I continued to lose weight and my 2 hour after meal tests ran 100 to 135, mostly around 120. I continued to lose weight. Doctor was pleased with my progress but morning BG still a bit high, IMO, at 115 to 130 and I expressed concern. So, doctor changed my RX to 1500mg metformin ER.

For some reason, I do not have the same results with the extended release version. Doctor thought 500mg in the morning and 1000mg at night would lower my morning sugars. Not only did it not, my after meal sugars have all gone up! I feel that all my hard work is for naught. I have now lost a total of 22 pounds, I'm down to 120 pounds. I eat very low carb meals, and I exercise one hour per day, yet my BG is still high, higher than when on regular metformin. My after meals used to be under 135 at all times now they are running much higher and I just had one as high as 158!

I called the doctor today and left a message asking if I can go back on regular met and perhaps bump it to 2000mg. I'm waiting to hear back.

Is this an unusual result for met ER? I thought it would work even better but it seems to be less effective for me. Is going back on regular a good idea? As I said, I continue to eat low carb, exercise regularly, and my weight is well within normal for my height. I feel pretty good, actually, but I am very frustrated that my numbers don't reflect my hard work. Am I on the right track suspecting that the ER formulation just isn't best for me?

Thanks for any insight. As I said, I'm motivated to control my diabetes after watching so many in my family suffer early deaths from not controlling theirs.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Not sure how to help you, I think you answered your own question, go back on the regular MET and up the dose. If your doc doesn't commit to this find another doc, plenty out there. I am sure he will agree though once you explain what has been happening. Your doing good by the way.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Just a thought that popped into my head, I'm a newbie, but I remember reading that Jenny Ruhl reported different results with different Manufacturers and I tucked that little byte of info away.... thinking if I had problems I'd go back and research which manufacture she recommends.

Metformin is also temp sensitive - high and low, so its not impossible that some batch could be overall weaker / stronger we might suspect?

Now from general knowledge I also think I know that some manufactures (but necessarily sources here) are in countries like India that likely have 'other' manufacturing standards. And that I know something about.

Anyway, might be worth searching her site: BloodSugar101.com

Best luck!

george

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Jenny Ruhl reported different results with different Manufacturers and I tucked that little byte of info away.... thinking if I had problems I'd go back and research which manufacture she recommends.
I'm not sure the original poster is still around - but here's the link for anyone who wonders: Diabetes Update: Differing Brands of Generic Metformin Behave Differently

I tried to get brand after reading the blog but no such insurance luck. Ironically, the one that worked better for me was by Sun Pharmaceuticals (over Teva which I used first), the very one she had negative press on.

Back to the mantra: We're all (sorta) different.

·
Banned
36 Posts
Back to the mantra: We're all (sorta) different.
And quality control is about consistency, lack of it translates into variability. If mfgr overseas there could be shipping delays and all - so we might add that into the mix.

Reactions: moon

·
Registered
204 Posts
also remember that dosing works differently with metformin. the er max dose is only 2000 mg and the non-er version is 2550.

personally - i would up to the max dose of the er and see what happens. or, if you can tolerate the non-er version of metformin, switch back.

i feel your pain - i was on victoza and it worked great for the first 6 months, then it stopped. i really though tit was some kind of personal failing on my part. i've been on the meds rollercoaster for around 6 months now. finally the max dose of the er release is working for me.

i would have went straight back to the regular metformin if the side effects weren't so hard on me. its why i tried victoza in the first place.

hope that helps.

please don't think you are doing anything wrong or its your fault. i thought that my issue with victoza was some kind of personal failing or that my diabetes was getting 'worse', which sucks after how hard i try. its not. for me it was simply the meds.

don't give up!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm still here - just can't get on computer much lately.

Thanks for all the thoughts. Miss Dj, you read my mind. I was really feeling like a failure.

The doctor never called me back - he just went ahead and called in an RX for 2000mg regular metformin. The regular did not bother my GI system at all after the first week and the numbers were better so I'm happy to be back on.

Unfortunately, some things have come up in real life and I've been occupied taking care of my dying 88 year old MIL. I'm doing great on the lo/no carb diet and have lost 5 more pounds. However, I just have no time to do much BG testing. Any hour I can get to myself I walk or bike for exercise. So I plan to continue to eat right, exercise, take the met, and hope my next A1c is lower. My BG's shouldn't be any WORSE than they were and hopefully they will be better.

Once the home situation improves, I'll be able to get back on regular daily testing and resume tweaking my activity level, meds, and diet to maximize my control.
However, at this moment in time, lowering stress levels is looking pretty important to me.

Thanks again everyone. Hope I can get back and read regularly. Love all the info!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Unfortunately, some things have come up in real life and I've been occupied taking care of my dying 88 year old MIL. . . . [A]t this moment in time, lowering stress levels is looking pretty important to me.
You are to be commended for taking loving care of your MIL. I was the primary caretaker for my parents for the last 5 years of their lives, so I know how hard it is and the toll it can take on your health. Even so, you'll never regret it.

To lower stress, have you tried massage? It sounds positively decadent, but I think I would have slipped completely over the edge of sanity without a weekly massage. As it is, I'm just hanging on with my fingertips. :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts