The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Well, I must admit I feel a little bit lost with no goal, in terms of my diabetes.

I came off the insulin Jan 10. at first I didnt know if it was viable for me. after being off Insulin 4 days I took a shot and the result was a hypo taht made my lights go out briefly....to me That was proof it WAS viable as that was my first hypo with lights out. Ive maybe had 2 hypos that I could sense and correct since i got sick. I never really went low. I sure wish I had had the presence of mind to go to my car and get my meter when that happened so I could see how low I went. It sure was fast and thats what had my attention, I have never gone from alert to out so fast. It was so fast I couldnt do anything and I knew it was coming!!!!:eek:....anyhow

so now here I am and i feel kind of lost, not having to take shots, plan day, events, food, and shot times, have diabetic goals and all that. I guess my goal before was getting under control, now that I think I am in control
I don't know what goals I can have except maintain and that doesnt seem like much right now. so maybe its time to listen to mom and find a mate, all my friends and family are worried because I live by myself and if something happened without someone knowing could be bad...

seems like it time to move on and start enjoying my life again? Or am I missing something that should be in my focus?

right now, I hoover around 100 at wakeup and go down all day long even eating meals. Yesterday i even come down to 76 at 4PM. WOW how the heck did I do that...(or like erkal say's "did I do that?") On insulin i hovered at 80-85 with that same number for a wakeup number

I even cooked a half of patato in a pressure cooker ate it and no abnormal rise...like I ate a piece of chicken? what the heck is going on....

Im not ignorant enough to believe I'm cured like our recent poster or trouble causer, but am I ignorant to think all i have to do is maintain diet im on and test and live life???

I noticed I dont seem to have the appitite I did on insulin, Im losing weight, and generally feeling well. Mom showed me some pictures from Christmas 2011 and man I didnt realize how puffy I had gotten.
face was fat and had a bigger gut than i realized. well face is skinny now and gut is just about gone. Some have reminded me Im looking like I did 20 years ago besides a few grey hairs.....Maybe now I can get me a REAL pretty lady to be my girlfriend...hahahahaha (substance is more important to me than looks really but it sounded REALLY good!!!:D)

Anyhow, it seems like it may be time for me to relax about my diabetes and all that..and start living again...I just want to make sure Im not taking anything to lightly, overlooking something, and that I should be in relax and maintain mode or if there is something else I should be attacking

Take care all
Much Love to you all!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Yeah - don't turn your back on it, MC. You've been through the DKA drill & you don't wanna go there again. I suspect you'd like to maintain your new lower weight too, the better to catch the eye of a certain pretty young lady . . . ;)

I think watching your carbs, continuing to test after meals occasionally, just being aware . . . I know you're a musician, but you can relax without going back to all your old habits, can't you? There just doesn't seem to be a need to continue being anxious about this. You know the signs now, so if you're not quite right - things seem a little off - grab your meter & see what's going on. As Pat says - 'careful and alert'.

Remind me - were you ever tested for GAD antibodies? I think they bandied about the type 1 diagnosis when you were hospitalized?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sounds like you need a goal...a new goal now...so, what do you want out of life? Think about it, it may help you realize your new goal. :)

Reactions: mcseccne

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah - don't turn your back on it, MC. You've been through the DKA drill & you don't wanna go there again. I suspect you'd like to maintain your new lower weight too, the better to catch the eye of a certain pretty young lady . . . ;)

I think watching your carbs, continuing to test after meals occasionally, just being aware . . . I know you're a musician, but you can relax without going back to all your old habits, can't you? There just doesn't seem to be a need to continue being anxious about this. You know the signs now, so if you're not quite right - things seem a little off - grab your meter & see what's going on. As Pat says - 'careful and alert'.

Remind me - were you ever tested for GAD antibodies? I think they bandied about the type 1 diagnosis when you were hospitalized?

Hello Shanny!

hahaha Im a musician but I can relax without going back to old ways? hahahahaha Yes mam I can! But I have always been a non drinking non druggie non groupie using musician!:D

Im always the one band member that sneaks back to my room alone. always been that way, and its usually ok but has caused conflicts in myself. Im just not into some of the stuff road life brings with it. My only real bad habit was diet, and just running myself ragged! My eating was just off the hook! Most of the time eating VERY late 9-10 PM and that would be my only meal, and the only time in the day I slowed down!

I'd hate to think Id ever go DKA again because I would know whats happening! In my opinion diabetes IS SO VERY SNEAKY! I will always respect it!

You Know Shanny I was never tested for type that I know of. However, I think its safe to say Im type 2 even though they said I was type 1. If I was type 1 like they said I dont think I could do without insulin, hence my belief that Im type 2. I also believe I was type 2 because I think it was MCS that said with that amount of insulin i was taking Id have to be 400 pounds or so if I was type 1.

Thanks to all Of you I realize I cant turn my back on D, I probably couldnt even if I wanted to...I think I have too much sense to be stupid. (i guess thats a good thing:D)

However it sure has been the focus of my life since August, and i just want to be sure im not overlooking anything before I turn my anxious, rebellion, and fight off! I want to ensure the fog I was in with high sugar has completely left and Im making sound decisions. this list is my sounding board as I live alone and only my mirror speaks but for the life of me I cant understand the ENGLISH it speaks:D (oh my that was a good one!) so you guys are it.

I dont know what to expect if I tell my doc Im not on insulin anymore. I dont have any desire to go on any other meds and If my lvls get high for anyreason i would want to go back on insulin and not oral pills. I think there is something to be said for insulin vs oral at first. insulin surely worked for me. to my understanding all docs prefer insulin but the public balks at having to take shots.

in hindsight Im glad they put me on insulin without a choice. If i was on oral meds I think i would have been on them for life. I could be wrong but thats what i believe. I also think shots will/would sharpen the mind of some to realize it is serious and you must change, much more than oral meds...some diabetics feel they can just take more pills to deal with highs etc...

and yes shanny I do want to maintain my weight..Im still losing for now which is OK! and I sure like how im looking. Im sure I will find someone. My friends are trying to set me up, but i prefer picking myself! when my son was living here and I was single father I could not keep them off of me, but my focus then was making my son a man! My son Is also "LOOKING" for me....I remember when I divorced he was 13 years old then, we went from "dad if you have a girlfriend I dont want to know her" to dad "that lady is checking you out- go see if she likes you!"

Thank you Shanny and Pat. Your points are taken and need to be heard by me. I will file your responses and reflect on them when needed!

Much love!

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Finding yourself a steady seems like a pretty good goal to me. Not carrying so much baggage around either.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm happy for you that things are going well but please stay alert and keep testing. If they were right and you are a type 1, what you're going through now could be the honeymoon phase.
So enjoy but take care :)

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
As others suggested I would keep testing. Pick the times where you can predict your BG with pretty good certainty and check then. I only check twice a day now, morning FBG and before dinner FBG. These numbers are so predictable if they are off by 10 pts I know something is going on and I start to think what it could be.

Reactions: mcseccne

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel a bit sad that you had your life on hold while dealing with D! I am so glad that you can focus on the better things in life now. Just keep on the low carb way and you will keep enjoying life. :)
Hi Silvertiger

I didnt really have a choice. I am an extreme type person. there are good points to that and bad points to that. The good is i can pick something and just hammer it to death, relentlessly. Its the same trait that makes me successful as a musician, as well as all the other things I have achieved. It's that same drive that allowed me to attack this disease just as relentlessly as D attacked my body! How can I be upset at my position now. The bad Is I will concentrate on whatever i consider to be my most important mission at that time, I will set aside things not as important as my main objective. Even worse its usually myself I put on hold. taking care of me has always been my worse trait until now!

Im still very new to all this but what has happened since August I think is absolutely AWESOME! Thanks to all of you! I was in very bad shape when I was admitted. I would go from feeling half way decent to complete crap in a matter of minutes. I couldnt even walk a strait line. To come from where I was to here in just 4 months I think is simply amazing. I am SO PROUD!

I understand Im not cured and that I must keep up everything Ive been doing except taking the shots! I'm glad to only have to test now.

All Im saying is I am very happy with the situation Im in now. This is what putting my personal life somewhat on hold did. I have no issues with it at this point. the reward was worth the sacrifice to me.

Thank you for your concern! It really is appreciated!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts